Medal of Honor "Won't Necessarily Push the Genre Forward"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Medal of Honor "Won't Necessarily Push the Genre Forward"

Medal of Honor [http://www.amazon.com/Medal-Honor-Xbox-360/dp/B000TI836G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970632&sr=1-1] Executive Producer Greg Goodrich says EA is working hard to make the game a great experience, but cautions that players who expect it to "revolutionize the genre" might be disappointed.

"Not necessarily pushing the genre forward" sounds like the sort of thing you'd hear a game-maker say about a competing product, but in this case, Goodrich is talking about his own baby: The new Medal of Honor, currently being developed by EA Los Angeles. He said the studio is more interested in making it the best, most refined game possible, rather than redefining the entire FPS genre.

"What we're focusing on is making a great first-person shooter," Goodrich told Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/medal-of-honor-not-necessarily-pushing-the-genre-forward--166551.phtml]. "[If we don't make a game] that revolutionizes the genre, so be it, but we're showing up to do a great game - a great experience that fans will love."

"At the end of the day, it's all about making a great shooter, and not necessarily pushing the genre forward," he added.

Comparisons with the genre-dominating Modern Warfare [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00269QLI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278694263&sr=1-1] games are inevitable, but Goodrich seemed comfortable with the idea of going head-to-head with the biggest shooter franchise in the industry. "Nowadays, especially in the shooter genre, if you show up to the table, you have to show up with quality - you have to show up with a product that's meant to be at the forefront of this genre," he said. "Because if you show up with a product that's not of quality, you might as well just not show up - there's no point."

Medal of Honor is currently scheduled for release in fall of this year for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Well, it's not like Starcraft 2 is going to push the RTS genre forward, and I don't see why this has to "innovate" either, as long as it's a great game.

However, if all it's running on is presentation, brand name, and trying to cash in on the recent iraq/afghanistan war FPS games, it better have a damn awesome campaign. :p

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Maybe with that kind of humility they won't write a story that plays like a 14 year old wrote it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Never expectyed much from the series anyway. Ever since Underground I have gone off them really...

At least though they are not doing a Molyneux and getting everyone all hyped up only to be let down. Give em points for that

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
While I respect the man for being honest, a small part of me has to shrug and say "Yeah, and?" I mean, how could you move the genre forward even if you tried? Saying that it will be a solid game but it won't move the genre forward is like saying "I'm not gonna move that mountain, but I'll give it good try!"

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Yay for honesty!

I'm excited for it. It had ATVs in the trailer. Of course, so does BC2...but this is different.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Valiance said:
Well, it's not like Starcraft 2 is going to push the RTS genre forward, and I don't see why this has to "innovate" either, as long as it's a great game.

However, if all it's running on is presentation, brand name, and trying to cash in on the recent iraq/afghanistan war FPS games, it better have a damn awesome campaign. :p
Seconded.