Valve: Portal 2 is Our Best Game Ever

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Valve: Portal 2 is Our Best Game Ever

Portal 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E3C8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968960&sr=1-1] will be more than a return to Aperture, it'll also be the best project Valve has ever done.

It would be an understatement to say that Valve makes good videogames. With Portal [http://www.amazon.com/Half-Life-Playstation-2/dp/B00005ME8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968985&sr=1-1], and various other extremely popular games under its diamond-encrusted belt, the company is always at the top of its game. So, what does it mean when Valve says that Portal 2 is going to be its best product ever? It means that you should probably get some money out right now.

1up was able to take a few minutes with Valve top dog Gabe Newell at GDC this week, where he made it clear that Portal 2 is planned as a pretty big project. After the success of Portal, he says: "We got the signals that we wanted -- this is what people liked; this is what people didn't like. And to us, it was like, 'OK now we know how to take this big,' so that's what we're going to do with Portal 2."

Already, Newell feels: "Portal 2's great. It's the best game we've ever done." Why does he think this? "It's pretty clear, just internally," he says. From the company that basically changed the FPS genre, this is a huge statement.

In addition, as if it wasn't expected, Newell hints that Jonathan Coulton will be back in Portal 2. Coulton composed "Still Alive," the popular ending song from the original Portal that is still being covered by legions of YouTube users today. "Jonathan Coulton is awesome -- he's just brilliant; he's a joy to work with," Newell teased. When asked if there would be another Coulton song in Portal 2, Newell only said: "He's brilliant." That's a yes.

I don't know about everyone else, but after also reading about Portal 2's leaked details [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98925-Portal-2-Details-Leaked], I'm more than a little excited to equip my portal gun again.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178323]

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
I should probably get some money out now? I always have money ready for you, Valve.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
This is going to be... Portal.

Does anything else really need to be said?

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
"We got the signals that we wanted -- this is what people liked; this is what people didn't like. And to us, it was like, 'OK now we know how to take this big,' so that's what we're going to do with Portal 2."
They listened to what the fans liked?

It's going to be full of Weighted Companion Cubes and cake jokes. Calling it now.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
Well so far I've seen a lot of cynicism directed at this game, but I personally think it's going to be fantastic. It probably won't have the same effect as it did when we all booted up that portal gun for the very first time, but even so, I'm optimistic here. I'm hoping for big things.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Tom Goldman said:
"We got the signals that we wanted -- this is what people liked; this is what people didn't like. And to us, it was like, 'OK now we know how to take this big,' so that's what we're going to do with Portal 2."

It's going to be full of Weighted Companion Cubes and cake jokes. Calling it now.
I think that's more of a reference to the style of humor, not specific jokes.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
This just makes me think it will be worse than expected.

It's just how I work.

Veret

Apr 1, 2009
Valve has never been the type of company to overhype its games. Color me very excited.

But I also want my next Half-Life game, goddammit!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I think Peter Molenyux (sp?) just invaded their marketing department.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I am far too excited for this game I think I might explode.

Apparently they're focusing a lot more on sound this time around with Coulton. It was something along the lines of keeping the ambience and the atmospheric music from Portal 1 but making it even better. I'm rediculously happy that Portal can be called Portal 1 now.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Lets.. just wait and see if it lives up to the expectations. I sure hope it does.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Tom Goldman said:

The cake is a truth.

Fact.