Sega Pledges to Not Make More Crappy Games From Classic IPs

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sega Pledges to Not Make More Crappy Games From Classic IPs

In an attempt to increase its popularity with PS3 and 360 owners, Sega needs to commit to ensuring that its classic IP doesn't turn into any more sub-par modern games, says the company's Western boss Mike Hayes.

When it comes to fond memories of old-school gaming, Sega's classic series like Golden Axe and Sonic the Hedgehog are right up there in the minds of many gamers. It's no secret that their recent incarnations may not have been quite up to snuff, though, and that's something that Sega's Mike Hayes - boss of Sega's efforts in Europe and North America - isn't cool with.

Speaking with CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=239411], Hayes said that it was important for the company not to allow its classic IPs to suffer in sub-par games:

[blockquote]It's important that on our old IP that is respected, we need to deliver a good product. And in some instances we have done that - look back at when we re-did Sega Rally. It scored well and was moderately successful commercially. But then with other great franchises like Golden Axe we didn't produce a great game at all.

Going forward, if we're going to look at any existing IP to bring out the locker, we have to make sure we get the quality to a level we now expect. I'm not saying which IP it would be - a Streets Of Rage, a Crazy Taxi, whatever. What we have to do now is build something that is 85 per cent plus [rated]. We can't just get away with PR.[/blockquote]

This is especially true as the company tries to endear itself to PS3 and 360 owners after an attempt to court "hardcore" Wii buyers that wasn't all that successful [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97205-Sega-Probably-Finished-With-M-Rated-Wii-Games]. Hayes pointed to the company's early success in 2010 with Aliens vs. Predator and Bayonetta as indication that Sega was making headroads into the install base of the two "HD" consoles.

I don't know about any of that, but I do know that at some point in the above quote, Mr. Hayes said the phrases "Streets of Rage" and "bring out of the locker," which I'm now going to arbitrarily put together and hold as gospel truth: Hey guys, did you hear?! They're bringing back Streets of Rage!

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
They were making good 3d games, the running portions were the best part, they did the 3d running thing right it's all the other crap they tack on that makes 3d sonic games crap...

I want to see them make a good Alex Kidd game again!

It's good that they don't want to make bad games anymore, so let's see them make some good ones now!

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Yes, well, given the consistent promises and subsequent letdowns of recent Sonic games, I'll believe it when I see it, Mr. Hayes. Streets of Rage should definitely be brought back, though. :)

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
JaredXE said:
Dude, Streets of Rage?

Awesome!
My thoughts exactly....ooohhh I can't even see how they could cock that up.
Wait I can :(

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I'm a little confused by this: SEGA really hasn't been disrespecting old IPs, infact, their more guilty of OVER-respecting them [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Genesis_Collection], if anything.
Is there some SEGA fuck-up that I'm unaware of?

[small]This sounds more like an issue that should be taken up with RARE [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjo-Kazooie:_Nuts_%26_Bolts][/small] or Ubisoft [http://assets.gearlive.com/playfeed/blogimages/TMNT_Turtles_in_time_reshelled.jpg]...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Tiny116 said:
JaredXE said:
Dude, Streets of Rage?

Awesome!
Same here ;_: Although I would really hope they wouldnt! It would be so great to play the classic again =D

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
Jaredin said:
Tiny116 said:
JaredXE said:
Dude, Streets of Rage?

Awesome!
Same here ;_: Although I would really hope they wouldnt! It would be so great to play the classic again =D
Sega megadrive ultimate collection mate, Sega megadrive ultimate collection, 30+ original sega games = a vat of awesome

OpiateChicken

Jul 2, 2009
Khell_Sennet said:
Now, just as a suggestion, lets try;

-Battletoads
-Zero Wing
Sir, I agree with your choices.

[sub]Can you imagine what 4chan will do with Gamestop if Battletoads actually came out?[/sub]

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Ah, so the secret to success in the video game industry is to make games that don't suck. I never would have guessed that.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Oh good. I saw the thread title and misinterpreted that as Sega abandoning their old IPs completely. So they're just saying "we'll use our old IPs, we just need to make them not suck."

...I guess I can get behind that? I mean, Captain Obvious moment, but...

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
So, are they starting this movement with the cancellation of Sonic 4? Because, if not, their pledge is bullshit.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
. . .and I pledge to shit rainbows and ride a unicorn to the moon. See how easy that is!

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Make a sonic game in 2.5D, that is like the original sonic games... Your getting the message slowly. We don't want alot of crappy characters, check. 2D, Check. A good game to base it off as long as it is 2D, meh.

Calumon: Hey! Press X to Play! ^^

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Meaningless words Sega. Prove it!!! I bought Golden Axe Beast Rider. I paid full price for it. A mistake I will not make twice.