ARG Designer Believes Online Gaming Can Save the World

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
ARG Designer Believes Online Gaming Can Save the World

Online videogames may be the world's saving grace due to the skills and mindsets they impart to their players.

After playing a game of Modern Warfare 2 with a group of teenagers that horrify you with expletives and hatred you didn't previously know existed, it may be hard to imagine that online gaming could change the world. However, alternate reality game designer Jane McGonigal believes it can, and she justifies her belief very convincingly in a talk being shown over on TED [http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_gaming_can_make_a_better_world.html].

McGonigal has been making games for 10 years, working on ARGs such as Halo 2's I Love Bees and McDonald's The Lost Ring. She's currently directing research and development at the Institute for the Future, a nonprofit research group. She says her goal is: "To make it as easy to save the world in real life as it is to save the world in online games."

Humanity currently plays 3 billion hours of online games a week, but that's not nearly enough according to McGonigal. To save the world, she says we need to be playing 21 billion hours a week, and there's a legitimate reason behind this opinion. Think about how you feel when playing an online game like Halo 3 or World of Warcraft. Against all odds, it's still easy to be optimistic, and cooperation with others is often the only way to survive. Even when victory seems slim, it's easy to keep trying for an "Epic Win," as McGonigal calls it, in an online game.

McGonigal believes that the best versions of ourselves are expressed in online gaming. We're not as anxious or scared of failure as we are in real life, so we're more likely to achieve, and we're also more likely to learn how to collaborate with others in challenging situations. On a grand scale, the 5.93 million years that McGonigal points out the world has spent playing World of Warcraft is affecting our cooperative abilities, which could easily transfer to solving the problems of world hunger, poverty, or climate change.

Another interesting statistic McGonigal relates is that the average person will play 10,000 hours of online games by the time he/she hits the age of 21, which is approximately the amount of time it takes to go from 5th grade to the completion of high school. Online gaming is a "parallel track of education" according to McGonigal, which creates "virtuosos" of collaboration and problem solving. The problem is that people seem to believe they only have the power to change virtual worlds, rather than the real world too.

Alternate reality games such as McGonigal's view [http://www.worldwithoutoil.org/].

(Via: RockPaperShotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/03/17/mcgonigal-play-videogames-save-the-world/])

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I think she could be right, but if people will actually bother working together and actually think about what they're doing remains to be seen, I am slightly doubtful, what with teams of lonewolf k/d morons infesting my dear Bad Company 2.

TEAMWORK, YOU F-! *Cough*
Sorry.

Issues, you know...

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Co-op, yes.

Competitive gaming...NO! x Infinity
Well whenever I'm playing MW2 I get teamed up with people who want to win and try their best. The result is awesome matches where everything comes down to one kill. So it really depends on people's attitudes.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
This is a pleasant surprise. It's nice to see someone in the news who doesn't think that gamers are secretly psychopaths and will kill everyone around them for a Klondike bar.

Skinny Razor

Mar 9, 2010
Clearly someone who has no real world experience. Games have puzzles with known, pre-ordained solutions(it's called programming, after all).
In the real world, every solution humans come up with generally creates at least two more problems (such as using petroleum to replace older forms of energy).
I'd like to see someone to suggest that all their online gaming friends should spend some of their time away from blowing things up to solve the world financial crisis. You'd surely become the most popular person on the server, yes?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
*raises a skeptical eyebrow* Yeah right, online games can save the world, sure. You'll have to pardon my skepticism, but I think the only skill sets being honed during online games are how to be self-centred twats and how to curse and swear at each other in new and exotic ways.

Feb 13, 2008
McGonigal believes that the best versions of ourselves are expressed in online gaming. We're not as anxious or scared of failure as we are in real life, so we're more likely to achieve, and we're also more likely to learn how to collaborate with others in challenging situations.
One problem: We're also not IN real life...so our achievements and our collaborations don't actually 'achieve' anything more than our own self-image...which tends to create the mewling "I killed you first, ******!" that we get in other games.

Equally, you don't tend to get teamkillers or serial griefers in real life, unless they're in politics ;)

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
Keep dreaming lady. Sure it might teach people to cooperate more and better but to keep all those consoles and PC's turned on you will need a lot of energy. And playing at the levels she proposes, we would burn up all our oil and gas much much faster. imagine 10 times the people, doing 10 times as much gaming combined with that as well. Starting an energy war for resources as a result. The internet alone allready uses 5-9% of all power worldwide these days.source [http://uclue.com/index.php?xq=724] so much for world peace!

Taawus

Oct 21, 2008
Sjakie said:
Keep dreaming lady. Sure it might teach people to cooperate more and better but to keep all those consoles and PC's turned on you will need a lot of energy. And playing at the levels she proposes, we would burn up all our oil and gas much much faster. imagine 10 times the people, doing 10 times as much gaming combined with that as well. Starting an energy war for resources as a result. The internet alone allready uses 5-9% of all power worldwide these days.source [http://uclue.com/index.php?xq=724] so much for world peace!
Gradual increase of gaming means that the power demands go up slowly. If demand increases, surely supply has to follow.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Tom Goldman said:
McGonigal believes that the best versions of ourselves are expressed in online gaming. We're not as anxious or scared of failure as we are in real life, so we're more likely to achieve, and we're also more likely to learn how to collaborate with others in challenging situations.
Wouldn't it be better if we simply removed the heavy onus that failure carries these days? Too many people believe it's better to never try than to try and fail, and those who do fail are scorned and mocked far out of proportion to their failure. We need to dump this "win or don't bother showing up" mentality. Whatever happened to "Hey, that was a good try"?

You may call this impossible. I say it's far more likely to happen than getting rid of teamkilling lone-wolf nitwits in online FPS games.

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
Am I the only one who looked at her name and was reminded of the professor from Harry Potter?

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Rosicrucian said:
Clearly someone who has no real world experience. Games have puzzles with known, pre-ordained solutions(it's called programming, after all).
Clearly someone who has little gaming experience. The developers of WoW have stated before that they have purposefully made some raid bosses "impossible" because they like to see what strategies players come up with. Not to mention there's the whole phenomenon of game exploits (IE finding better solution that was not pre-programmed into the game).

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
SilverKyo said:
Am I the only one who looked at her name and was reminded of the professor from Harry Potter?
You are not, though the spelling is different.

Onyx Oblivion said:
Co-op, yes.

Competitive gaming...NO! x Infinity
What about co-op competitive gameplay? What then, smart guy?

Skinny Razor

Mar 9, 2010
boholikeu said:
Rosicrucian said:
Clearly someone who has little gaming experience. The developers of WoW have stated before that they have purposefully made some raid bosses "impossible" because they like to see what strategies players come up with. Not to mention there's the whole phenomenon of game exploits (IE finding better solution that was not pre-programmed into the game).
If it's "impossible", there is no solution, so what's the strategy for that?

And game exploits are cheating, just like inside trading. Well, bloody, heck, it is like the real world.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
*raises a skeptical eyebrow* Yeah right, online games can save the world, sure. You'll have to pardon my skepticism, but I think the only skill sets being honed during online games are how to be self-centred twats and how to curse and swear at each other in new and exotic ways.
Or how to counter them!

OT: Hurray for a non video-gaming hate thread in the News!

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
This is unrealistically optimistic, but then again, such a bright outlook can bring to light new possibilities.
Personally, I think we should reward selflessness more. In games, in our own culture- it doesn't take much to make a positive atmosphere. The only problem is that it is so easily shattered.

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
People who call this unrealistic need to be smacked upside the head. Tell me where games come from, please. They are a virtual representation of the real world. She doesn't literally mean that "online gaming can save the world", but that it can learn people things and set forward skills that might become important in real-life at a later point in time. Which is something which is fairly likely, rather than 'completely unrealistic'.

ResiEvalJohn

Nov 23, 2009
I disagree because I think people who spend that much on online games would never do anything in the real world anyway, or have motivation to walk away from their computer screen.