Review: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

alexhayter86

Feb 13, 2007
Review: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

The best the Call of Duty series has to offer, Modern Warfare has pretty much everything you could ask for in a wargame.

Read Full Article

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I don't think anyone is about to say the game is PERFECT, and while this was a fairly good review, there are certainly less-shiny points you could have touched on to make the review all-encompassing.
Also, mentioning the "left trigger" confused me, as I, I like many REAL Call of Duty fans, play the game on the PC. Left mouse button is fire.

MrCIA

Nov 24, 2007
*MrCIA opens his mouth to say something about the difference between para-sailing and fast-roping but shuts it again* Nice review. I have read worse reviews in my days.

moromete

Aug 16, 2007
Nice, but not complete. I enjoyed every minute of the game, but... cause with games (well, all other games part from Dune I) there's always a but.

Lenght: the game is short and towards the end it seems somehow hasted. While I prefer a short yet interesting game to a long boring one, a bit of more eat could have been added.

Enemies: To scripted. There's at least one mission ("All ghillied up") where the scripting makes the game unbearably tedious. Yes, I am talking about the final fight...

Allies: While in most mission the fact that allies always stram through the door even when shot requires just a bit of suspension of disbelief in the afore mentioned mission the fact that your companion does not get killed even when left to fend for himself with copious amounts of Spenatz is kinda annoying.

Other than that it is the best shooter I played for a long time. It even made me give up my daily sessions of TWB Europa Barbarorum. And that's high praise coming from me...

Annom

Nov 7, 2007
Good review, I play cod4 on the pc as the little stickies things on your xbox or ps3 in my opinion are not made to play fps games... but that seems to be a choice many people are taking. I personally don't believe the single player is too short as a number of other people have said, it seems to be the perfect guest comes stays and has a good time, then just as you begin getting sick of their presence they leave on a good note.

My only problem with the game as a whole would be the Allies and Enemies AI, I have a hard time believing 3 guys can storm a heavily guarded missile silo without one of the hundreds of Spenatz able to pull off some sort of lucky shot and turn the tides. I also found on more then one occasion if I storm the room and wait my allies will take care of the situation without me, although in other shooters it seems the allies are useless without their fearless player this game they seem to not need you in some cases.

All in all I think cod4 should of won GOTY hands down, I can see myself fragging people online well into the summer and long after I forgot where I placed my bioshock game.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
MrCIA said:
*MrCIA opens his mouth to say something about the difference between para-sailing and fast-roping but shuts it again*
I saw that in the article, and thought I might say something. Then I realized that I didn't know the RIGHT word for it either (apparently you did), so I kept my mouth shut.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
MrCIA said:
*MrCIA opens his mouth to say something about the difference between para-sailing and fast-roping but shuts it again*
Never let it be said the talking cloud hasn't fixed something for you.

MrCIA

Nov 24, 2007
Don't get me wrong, I like the article. Despite a certain lack of technical military knowledge, I found it to be well written and interesting. And I certainly don't expect everyone to know the difference between para-sailing and fast-roping. But since I am utterly fascinated with military history and theory, I simply can't help being a arrogant know-it-all sometimes. Sorry about that.

And as for my 2 cents about how good I think CoD4 is. I would direct anyone to read my post under the topic: "Call of Duty 4, now that is has all set in. (spoilers may ensue)"

alexhayter86

Feb 13, 2007
Katana314 said:
I don't think anyone is about to say the game is PERFECT, and while this was a fairly good review, there are certainly less-shiny points you could have touched on to make the review all-encompassing.
Also, mentioning the "left trigger" confused me, as I, I like many REAL Call of Duty fans, play the game on the PC. Left mouse button is fire.
The review was for the Xbox 360, I guess I should have mentioned that somewhere. As the review sort of suggests, I've been a PC gamer for much longer than I've been a console guy. So I've got much more experience FPSing on the PC, but I also love FPSing on my 360. Playing with a vibrating controller with triggers in front of a 50 inch screen is pretty sweet. Much more immersive than playing in front of my 15 inch gaming laptop.

As for the game's single-player length, I didn't mention it because I personally thought it was perfectly satisfying, and doesn't seem any different to most FPSes I've played.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
The length of this one took me by surprise, too, but mainly because if left me wanting more. But considering the wonderful and wonderfully varied experiences presented in the game, I can't really ask for more. This one is at the top of my list of favorite games of all time.

alexhayter86

Feb 13, 2007
I agree. It's definitely one of the better shooters I've ever played, it just does so much right in one package that its hard to be disapointed. I was expecting the obligatory bad videogame ending, but actually felt it had a good finish.

There's not alot to be overly critical about; I found the flaws of the game so small compared to the bigger picture of its amazing experience... the "allies and enemies ai", short length and "less shiny points" just didn't stand out to me at all when I was gunning down bitchfaces with my M4.