Word of the Year: w00t!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Word of the Year: w00t!

Based on the "vast majority" of users voting at its website, Merriam-Webster [http://www.m-w.com] has chosen its 2007 word of the year, and the word is "w00t."

A report in the CBC [http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/12/12/tech-woot.html]says that w00t, which combines letters and numbers in the form of online slang known as "l33tspeak," beat all other entries in the online poll for the word that best exemplified the year 2007. Other contenders included facebook, blamestorm and apathetic and hypocrite. John Morse, president of Merriam-Webster, described the word as an "ideal choice."

"It shows a really interesting thing that's going on in language," Morse said. "It's a term that's arrived only because we're now communicating electronically with each other."

According to the Merriam-Webster website [http://www.m-w.com/info/07words.htm], "This year's winning word first became popular in competitive online gaming forums as part of what is known as l33t ("leet," or "elite") speak - an esoteric computer hacker language in which numbers and symbols are put together to look like letters. Although the double 'O' in the word is usually represented by double zeros, the exclamation is also known to be an acronym for 'We owned the other team' - again stemming from the gaming community."

Although the word isn't yet included in the standard Merriam-Webster dictionary, it is defined on the website as, "w00t (interjection): expressing joy (it could be after a triumph, or for no reason at all); similar in use to the word 'yay.'"

p1ne

Nov 20, 2007
Kind of funny that they make it word of the year now that nobody really uses it anymore. More like word of 2002.

Also, w00t is never meant to be spoken aloud. It only works typed. Some people seem to not understand this.

Divinegon

Dec 12, 2007
w00t still very much lives on in Gaia Online. In fact, every internet trend lives on thanks to Gaia Online and 4chan.

But heck, w00t officially means "We owned the other team"? Now that's something new to me.

And I agree with p1ne. Sadly, the amount of people adding words like "w00t" and "lol" to their real life vocabulary is rising exponentially like Britney Spears' life of shame.
I really shouldn't try making jokes after waking up at 6:00 AM.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I use w00t a lot. Seriously. It began years ago with an old online gamer friend as a sort of ironic in-joke about all the l33t-speak morons out there, but grew to become a normal part of our ongoing conversation. We've managed to expunge most of the l33t idiocy from our daily dialog, but to my continuing shame, w00t, d00d, and a few others still permeate our exchanges.

SeruK

Nov 14, 2007
I use w00t from time to time. To me it's merely a way of expressing happiness over something, like "w00t, finally it got out." for a bad example.