Moffat Teases New Who Season

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Moffat Teases New Who Season

Doctor Who's head honcho Steven Moffat has let a few juicy details slip about what we can expect in the new season.

Doctor Who returns to our screens this April, and it's all change in the TARDIS. New man in charge Steven Moffat talked about what we can expect the new Doctor and new companion Amy to be getting up to. There are some slight spoilers ahead, so read on at your own risk.

Not only are the angel statues from 'Blink' back, but they've been made creepier than before: "Those scary statues, I should warn you - and your children - are on their way back and they're way way worse this time," said Moffat.

"There is an episode in this series that I showed to my 10-year-old son and he said there is one scene that is the scariest thing that has ever happened in Doctor Who. There is another episode that will make you gasp, then want to press rewind so you can see it all again." Considering how creepy the weeping angels were, you'd assume their second appearance would be the benchmark Moffat is talking about, because if it's not, well, that doesn't really bear thinking about.

If you're a fan of Who romance then you'll find something to like in the new series as well, something that is unlike anything that has happened in Doctor Who before: "You take two attractive people and they will probably be a bit romantic about each other... It is a complex story between Amy and the Doctor - it is not simple. It is not a story you have ever seen between the companion and the Doctor before."

I reckon one of them turns out to be a lizard. Yes, that's right, a lizard. Just you wait, you'll see.

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/5497643/scarier-monsters-and-super+creepy-doctorcompanion-relationships-in-new-who]

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Creepier weeping angels? Sign me up!

Could be good, although I'm not at all sure about the new Doctor.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Blink was an awesome episode, it will be interesting to see how he steps it up.

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Sounds good, though I don't need any more reasons to watch it, it's got the hottest companion ever in it.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'm really hoping the new doctor will be good. I found the teaser kind of lame and the whole suspenders and bowtie just don't seem to fit this guy that well, imo. I had my doubts about Tennant in the beginning, but he grew into my heart and I shed some tears at the end, I'll give this guy a chance and hopefully he doesn't blow it.

Mantheron

Jul 10, 2009
I still don't like the new catchphrase, but Moffat has built more than enough credibility with the episodes he's written (Blink was awesome indeed, but the Girl in the Fireplace was great as well, and he did a lot of the best ones for the last doctor), so sure, geronimo all you want...

Feb 13, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
It is not a story you have ever seen between the companion and the Doctor before."
Seen, perhaps, though it was heavily alluded to that Rose and Sarah Jane knocked boots, as the saying goes.

And even Tom Baker(4) said that Romana and Leela were ...involved.

I reckon one of them turns out to be a lizard. Yes, that's right, a lizard. Just you wait, you'll see.
Not including Kamelion or the Sea Devils then. /Who_nerd_extra-ordinaire :)

Even so, I'm hopeful about this. Moffat has shown he can handle romance (The Girl In The Fireplace, Coupling) with dignity.
And with total ridicule (The Curse of the Fatal Death) :)

Volucer said:
Sounds good, though I don't need any more reasons to watch it, it's got the hottest companion ever in it.
Oh c'mon...

or

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I remember those statues and they scared the absolute living daylights out of me! I cant wait for the new series to begin airing! I want to see what this new doctor can do!

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Logan Westbrook said:
"You take [b/]two[/b] attractive people and they will probably be a bit romantic about each other..."
[img/]http://dailypop.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/mattsmith.jpg[/img]

...Yeah...[b/]TWO[/b] attractive people...

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
As if I needed another reason to watch it! Even bad Doctor Who is 80% better than most everything else on TV. And even scarier Weeping Angels?

Apr 28, 2008
SCORE!

Granted I don't watch Doctor Who much, since I'm in the states and BBCA shows it whenever the hell they feel like it...

But the episodes I have seen I liked!

Brian Name

Feb 1, 2008
Am so glad Moffat has taken over as head creative. He wrote all the best episodes of Tennant's Doctor, without a doubt.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I'm looking forward to it very much. The latest trailer has as ever thrown up lots of questions.
HOWEVER the "romance"...not so much.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
someboredguy said:
As if I needed another reason to watch it! Even bad Doctor Who is 80% better than most everything else on TV. And even scarier Weeping Angels?
Are you my mummy? That kid was way more creepy!

Moffat has definitely been the best writer of the new Who (The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Girl In The Fireplace, Blink, Silence in the Library) so looking foward to him being at the helm. However, I'm not a fan of the Doctor romances with the companion. One of the reasons Donna Nobal was probably the best companion so far is because there was no annoying romance subplot (the other reason was real character growth for once).

Also, we may see the Doctors daughter again as supposedly it was Moffat who asked for her to be kept alive.

Feb 13, 2008
Plinglebob said:
Also, we may see the Doctors daughter again as supposedly it was Moffat who asked for her to be kept alive.
Georgina Moffat, well there was a reason for that... ;)

Still wanna see the Vashta Nerada again...well, not so much see...

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Plinglebob said:
Georgina Moffat, well there was a reason for that... ;)

Still wanna see the Vashta Nerada again...well, not so much see...
Actually its Georgina Moffett, not Moffat.

The Vashta Nerada were pretty awesome but I don't know if they could be brought back and still be as good.