Free to Play MMOGs Testing "Kwedit" Score System

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Free to Play MMOGs Testing "Kwedit" Score System

MMOGs are starting to participate in a new system which gives away virtual items to customers that promise to pay for them later.

The business model of the free to play MMOG typically relies on the purchase of virtual items by a percentage of the game's user base. For example, players can purchase items that change their in-game characters cosmetically, or those that might help them level up faster for the next 24 hours. There are many consumers out there that don't have the ability to pay for these items online, so Kwedit Inc. has come up with a new method.

Kwedit works just like a person's credit in real life, but in the virtual world. A player can promise to pay for a virtual item later when they get the chance, and can receive it right away without waiting. Kwedit can be repaid in a variety of ways, such as at 7-11 stores, or through the mail. If players do not pay back their Kwedit within a certain amount of time, their Kwedit score will go down and they won't be able to use Kwedit as much in the future.

The new system is similar to the pre-paid cards that people can already purchase in stores, but Kwedit is more flexible. Nexon, which runs free to play MMORPGs such as Maple Story and Dungeon Fighter Online, believes that these cards are good enough, but acknowledges that sometimes a player of one of their games might want to buy something in-game when a store isn't open or doesn't have the proper card in stock. Kwedit would allow this player to get the item they want right now and to just pay for it later, which would keep them playing rather than possibly switching the game off and doing something else. An entirely new group of customers could potentially be created with the Kwedit system.

So far, only two publishers have signed on with Kwedit: FooMojo for Puzzle Pirates [http://www.foopets.com/]. Daniel James, CEO of Three Rings Design, believes that if Kwedit can even increase the conversion rate of paying customers by a small percentage, it would easily be worth the trouble. If people don't pay, they probably wouldn't have paid anyway, and Three Rings isn't out anything but a few lines of code. The system is still too new to determine whether it's working or not, but people are reportedly already making Kwedit promises.

Kwedit is an interesting idea that could also allow players to figure out if they want to pay for virtual goods at all. It's not easy to go over the hump to purchase a virtual item, even when that hump is only a few dollars. With Kwedit, players could learn for free if that 24 hour XP scroll is worth it, or if having an in-game afro makes them feel as good as they hoped. It could also potentially prevent a few people from ruining their actual credit scores in the future, when they see the damage they've done to their Kwedit in the hopes of becoming the best Puzzle Pirate.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4298/free_to_play_games_meet_the_.php?page=1]

UnkeptBiscuit

Jun 25, 2009
Aside from the ridiculous name, there are two pretty major flaws with this system. Firstly, if people don't pay, then how are the devs gonna get their money back? Also, how does Kwedit Inc. make its money?

Du Jour Jaricho

Aug 10, 2009
I have only one thing to add to this.

Take it away Steven! [http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/265469/march-02-2010/the-word---kid-owe]

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
UnkeptBiscuit said:
Aside from the ridiculous name, there are two pretty major flaws with this system. Firstly, if people don't pay, then how are the devs gonna get their money back? Also, how does Kwedit Inc. make its money?
With a perfectly legitimate and in no way illegal repossession agency. [http://ui05.gamespot.com/1732/mafia021600x1200_2.jpg]

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
UnkeptBiscuit said:
The problem comes in at, "We want players to use this system but if we punish them for not paying, they might quit". I would assume if they don't pay, their score drops. If they keep abusing it, it would get to a point where they are never eligible to use it again, unless perhaps, they paid it all back. Otherwise I think too many "retards" would scream abuse at having a game punish them, even if it is due to their own stupidity.

Feb 4, 2010
I'd also imagine that some games might take away any items which aren't paid for by a certain time. It'd only make sense, though I doubt they'd give players enough Kwedit to do any damage to their bottom line should the player not pay up. I imagine that if it doesn't work like this already there will come a time when you earn more Kwedit by being responsible with what you're given, similar to how credit card limits expand as you improve your credit rating.

Slythernite

Jan 25, 2009
How exactly is there a consequence for not paying back? What if someone just wants one item. Then they get the item and nothing more occurs. So they can't get anything else, so what? What if they don't want anything else.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Bests that there will be at least one case of bankruptcy when somebody can't afford to pay the kwedit bills.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I'm guessing the item in question expires if you don't pay it off within something like 3 days.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
I predict a rapid influx of people creating new accounts, buying a bunch of Kwedit items until their score is ruined, then dumping the account and creating a new one. Expecting people to pay something later, on good faith, just seems a tad naive.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
What's next?

Kwankruptcy?

Kweck Bouncing?

Kwepossession?

Kwail time sentencing?
lmao, I bet its all on the cards!

But that is certainly...something. I dont really think its that good of an idea but. Its certainly an idea...

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
UnkeptBiscuit said:
On the first, what money did the devs spend letting the player use some lines of code? They never spent money specifically on the item

Kwedit does it the same way every other money-handling business makes its coin, interest, baby!

This is amazing, I have player PP a few times, its very addictive and i have lost days of playing it straight. So if i ever go pillaging again I will come back with a garbage Kwedit Score.

Joke time:
So is there gonna be a freequadruplescore.com site springing up soon?

Cause that word makes for awkward commercial songs.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Du Jour Jaricho said:
I have only one thing to add to this.

Take it away Steven! [http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/265469/march-02-2010/the-word---kid-owe]
Thanks for that. Interesting to see Steven Colbert already covered it.

Yeah, this whole thing is pretty shameless. Basically asking kids, might have no concept of how to balance their spending, to run up a bill so they can hassle their relations with emails to cover their bill for them. On the other hand, you could just let your Kwedit rating drop to zilch, but I get the feeling the kwection calls won't stop.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
If the only punishment is a lowering of their credit rating, then that severely limits it's ability for usage for lack of penalization.
Unless it chases you through more global or universal banking systems, like real Credit Unions or Banks companies.

LordMoose

Feb 7, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
What's next?

Kwankruptcy?

Kweck Bouncing?

Kwepossession?

Kwail time sentencing?
They repossess your Kwrgans. (sounds like some star trek race... or close to Krogan)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Perhaps the company just sends the bill to your actual credit card company, or your local collections agency.

If your a kid using your parents card, how do you figure oiut whose responsible; the parent, or the kid who stole twice?