A View From the Road: Matchmaker, Matchmaker...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
A View From the Road: Matchmaker, Matchmaker...

Why would anyone complain about a matchmaking system being too good?

Read Full Article

Xocrates

May 4, 2008
A great counter-point to Shamus article. I also hope it helps clear some misconceptions about matchmaking.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Because I'm good at star craft and I don't feel like stomping 150 noobs before I get to a level where games are competitive. The noobs won't be happy either.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
A few questions. Does the game automatically record replays? Is fog of war present in replays?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Xocrates said:
A great counter-point to Shamus article. I also hope it helps clear some misconceptions about matchmaking.
Aye, its nice tro see the different points of view you both have on it.

Certainly got strong points and weak points. It does clear up some sort of views which I had on it

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
ark123 said:
Because I'm good at star craft and I don't feel like stomping 150 noobs before I get to a level where games are competitive. The noobs won't be happy either.
That's not how Matchmaking works in Starcraft 2. You play 10 games that will rank you into skill brackets(copper, bronze, platinum, diamond or something along that lines) of people around your level right from the get go. If you continue to dominate or slack in your division you'll be pushed up or down the brackets as needed.

dochmbi said:
A few questions. Does the game automatically record replays? Is fog of war present in replays?
Yes for every match a replay file is saved.

No, when watching a replay you have the option of watching from any player's view or from everyones.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Slycne said:
ark123 said:
That's not how Matchmaking works in Starcraft 2. You play 10 games that will rank you into skill brackets(copper, bronze, platinum, diamond or something along that lines) of people around your level right from the get go. If you continue to dominate or slack in your division you'll be pushed up or down the brackets as needed.
Hmm 10 games sounds about right. Okay, I'm in.

Are the saved game files large?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
ark123 said:
Are the saved game files large?
Nope, it's only a record of what happened that the game engine plays back again, not an actual video recording. Looking in my folder they seem to average about 200 KB.

obedai

Mar 19, 2010
Hmmm, you have good points. I propose a sort of optional mix between john's and Shamus' ideas: the matchmaking is the same, but if you want you can challenge higher or lower ranked opponents. Defeating a higher ranked opponent ranks you up faster, the opposite for a lower ranked one. Like the system in unreal, except it's completely optional and much more tailored to individual skill (maybe you could request matches against specific ranks, to customize it further).

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
I've noticed this since not too long ago (maybe I'm just blind), but I like the fact that your articles complement and counter each other. I've seen variations on the opening sentence "my colleague dadida.." and "in an article written by wooweewoo..." .. It's nice. It makes the Escapist feel more objective and broadly orientated.

Just wanted to say that.

koriantor

Nov 9, 2009
That's a decent counter-point, however, I've noticed Shamus tends to write articles on exactly what I think of situations, and very rarely has he gotten my opinion wrong.

Sorry, John, Shamus has my opinion again :p

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Slycne said:
dochmbi said:

No, when watching a replay you have the option of watching from any player's view or from everyones.
See, this is quite cool. Back when I used to play Starcraft and got stomped, I used to just think it was people being better than me and bitching about it - it'd be pretty cool to see where I went wrong (or, more likely, where the other guy went right).

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Chipperz said:
Slycne said:
dochmbi said:

See, this is quite cool. Back when I used to play Starcraft and got stomped, I used to just think it was people being better than me and bitching about it - it'd be pretty cool to see where I went wrong (or, more likely, where the other guy went right).
Even without going into replays - when a match ends you are greeted with a number of stats that compare everything from average minerals unspent to amount of resources invested in your army. Blizzard is making it very easy for people who are not professionals to understand what they did wrong and learn from those mistakes.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
yar ranked games shouldnt change if the match making is good. but its still nice to have to option to go random :D

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
koriantor said:
That's a decent counter-point, however, I've noticed Shamus tends to write articles on exactly what I think of situations, and very rarely has he gotten my opinion wrong.

Sorry, John, Shamus has my opinion again :p
That's the thing though, I'm not sure Shamus and I disagree. He's absolutely right that a game based around matchmaking wouldn't work so well if it were a FPS, but StarCraft is a different beast. Besides, there are plenty of OTHER tools if you don't want to use the matchmaker - inducing randomness isn't the optimal solution here.

Feb 13, 2008
Shamus said:
I think it's a mistake to create a system like the one proposed on Battle.net where you can only play against people of your own skill level. Over time, you'll always win 50% of your matches. If you start to improve, the game will just find you harder opponents. No matter how good you get, you'll still have basically the same experience. There won't be easy or hard games.
Still a very valid point.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Shamus said:
I think it's a mistake to create a system like the one proposed on Battle.net where you can only play against people of your own skill level. Over time, you'll always win 50% of your matches. If you start to improve, the game will just find you harder opponents. No matter how good you get, you'll still have basically the same experience. There won't be easy or hard games.
Still a very valid point.
Except it's ignoring the entire custom games that you make with friends or browse from a lobby.

If you play rated games, you should play at your skill level.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Maybe it's me, but this article didn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me... It seems to contradict itself a bit...

So then, if the matchmaking works so well, why change it? Is there something particularly wrong with players feeling exhausted after an intense gaming session? Can't they just, y'know, take a break? On Friday, Shamus Young offered his own take on the issue, raising some very good points about why a system based on matchmaking would have fragmented the community of Unreal Tournament. I can't argue with his conclusions there, but there's one problem: StarCraft II isn't an FPS.

Nor is StarCraft II a fighting game, a racing game, or any other game where playing somebody vastly more skilled than you can actually be a more entertaining experience than playing someone at your level. I completely understand the desire to test your prowess against someone better than you in these genres, but I wouldn't want to apply that same mindset that I have while playing Team Fortress 2 or Street Fighter IV to a game like StarCraft. This has nothing to do with the quality of the games in question; the conventions of their respective genres are just different.
...Why? What's the big difference between Starcraft 2 and TF2? Or BC2? Or Need For Speed Flavor of the Month? A challenge is a challenge... The idea is that challenging people of equal skill ALL the time becomes a bit monotonous. Sometimes it IS fun to face someone weaker, that you'll trample all over, it's an ego boost. Sometimes it IS fun to be pitched against someone who will eat your face before you blink. It's a challenge. Whatever game you're playing isn't relevant to the level of challenge you'll encounter.

A better player than you at SF4 will pose the same problem as a better player than you at TF2, BC2, Fifa20-nextyear, or SC2, or even real life sports, arm wrestling, card playing, or anything of the sort: He's better than you. He forces you to develop and adapt, or perish.

But this part confuses me more:

In TF2 or SF4, losing is a temporary setback at best. Taking a bullet to the face or getting hit by a combo is a minor loss, because you'll respawn a few seconds later and the combo has to end sometime, giving you another shot at things. It's a series of small defeats that leads to a greater loss, but alongside these small defeats come small victories. You feel a sense of pride when you manage to get a kill on the enemy - even if he's outshooting you 10-to-1. It feels good when you finally block that "unbeatable" combo and connect in retaliation.
Ok... This much is true... Not sure how this isn't applicable to SC2, but anyway...

Those minor victories and defeats are present in an evenly matched game of StarCraft, but nine times out of ten, a loss against a clearly superior player is going to involve one quick and decisive slash at your base: One attack, one kill, game over.

...You mean, like in the aforementioned games? 9 times out of 10, the guy that's THAT much better than you will trash you in TF2, or SF4, or anything before you get a chance to do anything. Ever faced a REALLY good sniper, scout, or soldier in TF2? Fight is over before it starts. You either get your head instantly shot off by a sniper, get double tapped with meat shots by a scout circling you before you can do anything, or just get bounced and airshot by a soldier. It's swift, it's decisive and 9 out of 10 times all you can do is watch the train wreck.

The same is applicable to SF4 where a "pro" player will just spend the whole match combo-ing and canceling you to high hell.

Again, what's the big difference between that one shot you manage to score head on in a shooter, or the epic combo breaker you manage to pull, or the one attack on your base you manage to foil, or that one attack you manage to pull off to destroy your enemy's building?

It's harder to learn from constant defeat in a game like StarCraft than in TF2, because the genre deliberately obscures your enemy from view.
Why? If anything I'd argue the exact opposite. As mentioned before in this thread, SC2 gives you a replay file you can watch after without fog of war. You can review it as much as you like and study your enemy's moves step by step. You can literally watch every action he does and how they affect him. You can see the bases he makes, the units he builds, etc, etc.

How is this any different from recording a match in SF4 and studying your enemy's moves? Hell, a game like TF2, or most shooters really, is far less transparent. If you're lucky you can see what your enemy does in the miliseconds right before he plugs you. If you wanna study his strategies you'll need to find him and ask him for a demo/record, or at the very least get a server demo. By default all you get to study are his exact actions before he sends you to the respawn screen.

As for the Matchmaking... I think Greg and Shamus put it best.

Feb 13, 2008
John Funk said:
If you play rated games, you should play at your skill level.
The reason the "disagreement" seems to be there is that you appear to be saying that "It's right", while Shamus is saying "It's not fun".

Like a lot of these games, I'd rather play for fun than prestige. And the matchmaking as it stands does the old DRM trick of waving that flag for cheaters to try and prosper, while the non-cheaters grind ranks.

What you'll be left with is a hardcore crowd and a casual crowd that will never intermix, and that's bad for a games longevity. Brilliant for competitiveness (if they can keep out the cheaters - and you know people are gearing up for it) but with the tactical play that can already be d/l'd off of YouTube, aren't we building an elite already?

From what seems to be implied, you'll have a similar situation to Eve Online where the giants play their nightmare games while the casuals ignore the ranking completely because the sheer effort to rank will be grinding the same level of play again, and again, and again...

What appears to be happening here is the same as has happened in most MMOs, where the only way to play the game is the official way, and I think that's a sad thing.

But...like I say...it's not for me anyway.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Slycne said:
Chipperz said:
Slycne said:
dochmbi said:

Even without going into replays - when a match ends you are greeted with a number of stats that compare everything from average minerals unspent to amount of resources invested in your army. Blizzard is making it very easy for people who are not professionals to understand what they did wrong and learn from those mistakes.
Oooh that's cool. The more I hear about it, themore interested I get in Starcraft 2. It may be the first RTS I actually try to do well competitively in. Gotta say, a lot of that is due to the buzz round here, thanks guys :)