Interactive Storytelling

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Interactive Storytelling

Why Heavy Rain was not the interactive storytelling game it promised to be.

Read Full Article

ELS84

Feb 23, 2010
I cant wait for the space game. X-wing vs Tie fighter was awesome and i would def play a game similar.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
I find the idea for Fork very interesting.

That's really what interactive storytelling should be; starting with a bare minimum of details and allowing the player to fill in some of the blanks. I think it's stupid that Heavy Rain doesn't change any of the major plot points based on your actions.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Shame, I was hoping he would address Michael Atkinson in this issue.

Oh well, maybe he'll comment on it later

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
I still disagree with your "the killer never changes complaint". A murder mystery where the killer is always different can never have the wonderful things such as "foreshadowing" and "subtle nods". Yes, you might not see a point to replaying it (I did see one, though) because it's practically always the same but changing the killer would mean screwing up the story.'
Hubilub said:
Shame, I was hoping he would address Michael Atkinson in this issue.

Oh well, maybe he'll comment on it later
He apathetically adressed that one in Twitter.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
How about using the speed device you were considering earlier? You can only outrun the bad guy on full speed, but on full speed you're easier to detect, so the the bad guy follows you endlessly?

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
Hey with the space game what about flying into the garbage, from the ig baddy and getting the player to dodge or whatever for backup to arrive, then they can use a system like, he's looking at me, hide, ally shoots, he's looking at ally he hides, i shoot.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Journeythroughhell said:
I still disagree with your "the killer never changes complaint". A murder mystery where the killer is always different can never have the wonderful things such as "foreshadowing" and "subtle nods". Yes, you might not see a point to replaying it (I did see one, though) because it's practically always the same but changing the killer would mean screwing up the story.'
Yay, I have a reason to quote you!

Yes, I too agree that there should only be one murdered. Although I didn't care much for the reveal

Novur

Nov 3, 2009
The DVD extras analogy was pretty good. And the advanced hitscan weaponry could be a pretty good upgrade choice, if a plausible way to get your hands on one could be devised.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Hubilub said:
Journeythroughhell said:
Yay, I have a reason to quote you!

Yes, I too agree that there should only be one murdered. Although I didn't care much for the reveal
Well, than you, sir, have NO SOUL!!!
Just joking, it absolutely crushed me, though.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Good to hear you are still trudging through the space game. If you are willing to take a suggestion, the problem with letting the player run into the infinite void of space could be solved by making the player gather oxygen that it is only found close to game objects. That way the player can choose to run off into the void and die from lack of air. I would designate areas where oxygen can be gathered by placing a particle system emitter.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Currently the thought is to just insta-kill the player if they move too far away from the cover, and mumble something about advanced hitscan weaponry. It's not a terrible solution, all it'll take is a bit of dialogue to explain away, but it may create an impression in the player's mind that these ships are always to be steered well clear of, which isn't my intention. I'll have to think on it. That may take some time.
You can't stay away from the ship, for the ship is a Star Class Cruiser.... you know, it carries stars!.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I dunno... I can see both points. The way Heavy Rain is, getting the other endings was a bit bleh. Felt like I could have just saved myself the time of replaying and watched them all on YouTube instead.

But Journeythroughhell has a point as well... Constantly changing the killer based on what you do would ruin any kind of build up they would have had otherwise. Well, unless they did a really fine job of changing the story based on your choices. I guess it really comes down to how much effort the developers want to put into it, and I guess the developers of Heavy Rain went with "not a whole lot."

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
I disagree about not wanting to change the killer's identity based on your actions. There are always false hints about the identity of the killer in a murder mystery. Why couldn't the game treat a change in the killer like that?

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
The next job is to add the first big enemy from which the player must hide from among the garbage. The problem I'm foreseeing is the same thing that attracts me to space games: freedom. In most games, a player escaping the level terrain and falling into the sandbox is complete disaster, but in a space game, the player's pretty much already in the skybox. If they want to fly in one direction for ten hours then let them. They're not going to find shit, but at least they're free to discover that for themselves. But if there's a big enemy around, what, exactly, is keeping the player from just fleeing to a safe distance?

Currently the thought is to just insta-kill the player if they move too far away from the cover, and mumble something about advanced hitscan weaponry. It's not a terrible solution, all it'll take is a bit of dialogue to explain away, but it may create an impression in the player's mind that these ships are always to be steered well clear of, which isn't my intention. I'll have to think on it. That may take some time.
Well, my suggestion might not help much, but if you want to avoid the impression that the ships are to be steered well clear of, you could explain their weapons systems in dialogue and reveal that trying to get distance between them is the worst thing to do.

Like... the long-range weaponry (perhaps very fast missiles) might have a minimum effective range that is fairly reasonable and a ludicrous maximum range. Then you could explain that their tracking systems are flawed in that, due to the speed of their flight, are very bad at tracking fairly small targets that are moving towards the point they were launched from, requiring little or no evasive maneuvers.

To avoid the issue where they could be fired directly, you could say that for some safety reason, they need to be fired at an angle and then move on a somewhat parabolic flight path to engage their targets. This parabolic flight path, coupled with their speed, could also explain the minimum effective range as they wouldn't be able to turn sharply enough for close-by targets. Again, you could also introduce the fact that their tracking systems can't

After the explanation of why the player most definitely not try and simply fly in the opposite direction really fast, the mid/close-range weaponry for these enemy ships could be fairly easily implemented and shown to be much easier to deal with, but still needs to be avoided entirely at that early point in the game by hiding in the debris.

As I've said you probably wouldn't care about my ideas for how it could work, but I figured I'd share my thoughts anyway in the off-chance that I could prove to be somewhat helpful.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
In my failed team attempts to make a space game I just came up with the decision to let the player travel a bit out and then have a wall of damaging nebulae. Makes the level boundries clear without feeling like an arbitary limit.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Zombie Nixon said:
Doesn't shattered memories have PS2 and PSP versions?
Yes but it's best played on the Wii. It has the best graphics (as it damn well better considering the competition) and the Wii Remote as a flashlight really adds to the immersion factor. The game was SUPPOSED to come out on like March 5th, but for some reason it was delayed.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
Why don't you make it so that the large enemy can teleport if you're too far away.
(Maybe the onscreen computer will give you a warning that the enemy is preparing to teleport, or is acting oddly)

Either that, or make the enemy release loads of minions that get stronger the longer they are left alive! XD

Its a shame you can't make it a sandbox space shooter, where loads of pre-scripted events (many more that can fit onto the map, and that can be jumbled up and scaled to the player in difficulty) are arranged onto a map when you start a new game, it might make the game really fun, and re-playable, (as the experience will vary each time!).

EDIT: Please stop talking about the mana bar also, it is really too cool for my meagre british brain to handle! XD