Editor's Note: I Know Kung Fu

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I Know Kung Fu

For this week's issue of The Escapist, our contributors share their stories about videogames and martial arts.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Yie Ar Kung Fu, eh?

I used to play that at my Dentist's Office.

The music makes me thing of...unpleasant memories.

zamble

We are GOLDEN!
Sep 28, 2009
Great choice of theme for this issue (but I'm biased, because I love that genre).

Very interesting to know your experience with your father and his proudness. Probably that has influenced you in so many ways... altought my parents really didn't discourage me to play games, I wish they were more supportive and enthusiastic of it, like yours. Certainly would be such a delight for a kid...

Myan

I Want to Go to There!
Dec 16, 2003
Thanks for sharing a sweet memory of your father, Russ.

My dad actually played video games. Well, on the NES, but he still played them. Duck Hunt was his favorite but he bought this terrible racing game, Rad Racer, that consumed hours of his attention. We used to play together too until I realized how boring the game was. I wonder if he remembers that.

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
Thanks for the story Russ. It's fantastic the little vignettes that stay behind, some even of no consequence, that really take the edge off of having to do without them.

This was truly touching.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
I got genuinely teary reading this. Very sweet and heartfelt.
I'm embarrassed to say that I did too.

OT:

Kung Fu, Eh?

OH OOAAH OOHHHHH

DUN DUNUNUN DUNUNUN DUNDUN

OH OOAAH OHHHHHHH

ImpostorZim

Jan 7, 2009
That was very touching. It reminds me of me and my father. He used to watch me play the Super Nintendo all the time. You also got me to realize I think, about how much I take him for granted today. Even if he doesn't watch me play videogames anymore. :p

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Yie Ar Kung Fu, eh?

How do you put youtube video's on your post ?

OT: Great Story, Makes me want to play games with my dad.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Yie Ar Kung Fu, eh?

How do you put youtube video's on your post ?

OT: Great Story, Makes me want to play games with my dad.
Remove the spaces

[ youtube= funny code at end of video url goes here ]

MissAshley

Jul 20, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
I got genuinely teary reading this. Very sweet and heartfelt.
Me, too. That was beautiful.

My father played games, with many of our family's acquisitions being more for him than me. He really enjoyed fantasy, with Rygar and Zelda being two titles in which he invested much time. Two moments I'll never forget were when Rygar froze while a handful of screens from the last boss and when he ecstatically showed me a video after school of him beating Ganon for the first time.

The actual relationship between my father and I over my life has been nonexistent at best and unbearably unpleasant at worst. But video games did give us a neutral ground where his many indiscretions managed to disappear if even for a few moments.