PAX East 2010: PC Gaming Is In Partially Vegetative State

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
PAX East 2010: PC Gaming Is In Partially Vegetative State

Proponents of PC gaming discussed the challenges of developing on the platform and offered a bleak outlook on its future.

From the outset of the panel at PAX East called "The Future of PC Gaming (Yes, there is one)" it was clear that PC gaming faces significant challenges as compared to its console brethren. Moderated by Jeff Kalles, Senior Sales and Marketing Manager at Penny Arcade, each member of the panel admitted to loving PC gaming but said that it's a small market compared to its heyday. John Abercrombie, lead programmer of Irrational Games (Bioshock), repeated a few times that developing console games is where the money is. Joe Kreiner of Terminal Reality said that his audience is small because of MMOGs. Mitchell Shuster, maker of LAN friendly PC machines at LanSlide [http://www.lanslidepcs.com/Default.asp?c=271618], was the sole panelist who seemed to be somewhat positive and cited the strengths of being able to upgrade your PC rig piecemeal and the open source movement.

Standardization was brought up early, with many gamers asking why no one had developed a system that has stuck. "I think there's just too many options out there, honestly," Abercrombie said, referring to the myriad of hardware and peripherals that PC gamers need to have a decent rig. "There's too many things for people to buy, whereas with the console there's just one console. You can just go to the store, and buy the one thing that will work."

Jeff Kalles' response was, "The panel is a lie."

The explosion of MMOGs on the PC platform was brought up as a possible danger to more single-player experiences. One gamer said that he has no interest in MMOGs but he was concerned that was where he currently saw all of the innovation and energy on the PC, his platform of choice.

"The state of PC gaming industry right now is directly in response to World of Warcraft," said Kreiner. "You guys are all playing World of Warcraft, except for you, sir, you are the only one." He continued pointing at the gamer who brought it up, "As a game developer, my total available market is you."

It wasn't all doom and gloom. Open source software is a boon to many smaller independent designers, and that is only possible on the PC. "It's actually one of the strengths of the PC," Shuster said. "It's got that open source aspect that allows people to do the mods and make the new games baased on the old games. To do a palette swap and create Counter Strike, that wouldn't have existed otherwise." The amount of things that you can do will "entice people to use the PC more than the consoles."

The cost of developing games on the PC is generally less than for consoles because the developers don't have to license from one manufacturer like Sony or Microsoft. Abercrombie estimated that almost 10% of the retail price of a console game goes towards fees associated with consoles and that's part of why PC games are less expensive. Kreiner also mentioned that niche products like Civilization will still sell very well on the PC and developers would be more served creating games like that.

As the console generation gets older, we also might see a resurgence of the PC market as its hardware is now capable of more graphics and processing power than the consoles, especially with nVidia announcing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99475-PAX-East-2010-NVidia-Reveals-Its-Latest-Tiny-God-of-GPUs] its latest cards at PAX East yesterday.

"If the console cycle goes too long, you can really see a resurgence of PC as developers want to target the visual high-end," said Kriener. "It really depends on how long [the console generation] goes."

Abercrombie disagreed. "I'm not that's going to be the case, unfortunately. The revenue is just so much higher on the consoles. That's where the money is. If everybody would stop pirating, if everybody would stop doing DRM, we'd see a lot more PC games sold."

Abercrombie summed it all up nicely: "PC Gaming isn't dead. It's just in a partially vegetative state."

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Somebody'll be along to post that "happily dying since" poster any minute now.

Perhaps they should change it to "happily in a partially vegetative state since."

Sh0ckFyre

Jun 27, 2009
You see, DRM is only bad if its implemented wrong. Games that restrict you from installing on as many PC's as you wish, CD-Keys, that's all fine. Maintaining a CONSTANT internet connection is fucking retarded. Its meant to stop piracy, something that is MUCH harder to do on a console. I think I speak for the common working man when I say I earn my money and happily buy my multimedia products with the satisfaction they'll actually WORK when I install them on my computer.

Because let's remember, kids: You pay for what you get. And I pay for simplicity, quality, and fun.

At the same time, while PC graphics are endlessly expandable, its on the costly side of thing. Let's consider, $200 for an Xbox 360? Or $1000 for a top of the line computer?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"The state of PC gaming industry right now is directly in response to World of Warcraft," said Kreiner. "You guys are all playing World of Warcraft, except for you, sir, you are the only one."

What a bunch of shit. He's saying that a) all PC gamers want to play is MMOs and that b) because of that, everyone who does play an MMO won't want to touch another game.

PC game sales rose by 3% last year, did they not? And 2009 was a bloody drought!

Maybe if people didn't feel like they were being shunned at every corner (I don't think we are particularly, but a lot of people do) then they'd be more willing to buy games.

Bad ports and DRM are what's causing this supposed "vegetative-state", not us who play on the platform.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Archangel357 said:
Yeah, but it won't stop PC gamers from looking down on their console brethren.
No, This is true. They will always see themselves as better and it is just one of those things w will need to live with unfortunatly

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Archangel357 said:
Jaredin said:
Archangel357 said:
No, This is true. They will always see themselves as better and it is just one of those things w will need to live with unfortunatly
Right, because console gamers are never trying to get one over on each other, battling it out on forums over which is best.

A PC-elitist is pretty much the same as any other elitist or extremist: the minority.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Woodsey said:
Archangel357 said:
Jaredin said:
Archangel357 said:
Right, because console gamers are never trying to get one over on each other, battling it out on forums over which is best.

A PC-elitist is pretty much the same as any other elitist or extremist: the minority.

http://www.gamegrep.com/video/31119-final_fantasy_fans_boo_xbox_360_at_ffxiii_launch_party/

Console wars gone public

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
It is still in my belief that PC gaming wont come out on top for a loooong time.

Things like consoles and the iPad confirm that for me.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Hubilub said:
It is still in my belief that PC gaming wont come out on top for a loooong time.

Come out on top in what way?

I don't think the iPad's much of a threat to anyone, at all, in any way - PCs and the current consoles included.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Civilization isn't any more of a niche product than most console games. It sells more than many console games with larger development costs. They sell it in the supermarkets near me. In fact, I would say that it has a broader audience than most FPS.

PC is a very hard thing to analyse. In some ways it seems to be losing ground to consoles but in other ways it has never been better. A developer who only makes FPS games is going to concentrate on their part of the market and say that the PC is in a terrible state because the focus has switched to consoles for mainstream FPS games.

Aug 25, 2009
I stopped PC gaming almost before I started. When I saw how much it would cost to have the sort of gaming PC needed to run these things I knew that even if I did have the money, I would much rather spend it on things that I would use more often, like guitars and food.

I've never espoused one over the other really, and I think it would be a shame if PC gaming were to die, since so many people still clearly enjoy it, but they really need to expand their marketing techniques. I've seen ads for consoles, I've seen ads for games, but I have never seen an ad for PC gaming outside of PC gaming websites, which leads me to suspect that either the companies are trying to get along on the back of their existing fanbases, or they can't come up with a good advert for PC gaming, which says something.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Woodsey said:
Hubilub said:

Come out on top in what way?

I don't think the iPad's much of a threat to anyone, at all, in any way - PCs and the current consoles included.
Damn my bad phrasing. Saying "come out on top" doesn't make much sense when thinking about it. I meant more like PC gaming improving economically.

The iPad is no threat for anything gaming related. What it is is proof to me that a larger and larger demographic of people want simplicity over superior performance. That's why Apple made the iPad, that's why Zynga are so popular, and that's why consoles sell more. Or at least that's part of why they sell more.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I was having a similar discussion with a friend who just upgraded his comp. He had like 6gb of ram or something like that (I dunno he's the hardware guy, I'm the software guy). He was bragging about how awesome gaming would be and how great everything would look. Until I pointed out one small fact. No matter how great your PC is it is up to the developers to push it forward. The graphics are limited by the devs. No matter how good your comp is if the game has shitty graphics it will still have shitty graphics on your top of the line PC.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
So, World of Warcraft actually did destroy PC gaming. Now I have a quote to back me up.
It's amazing how much 'nothing' goes on in that game, and yet people continue to play it.
Why? It certainly isn't fun.

I've been watching my other friends play that tripe for 3 years now, and they all look tired, bored, and generally not happy when they play it.
Listening to the VOIP conversations..it sounds like they're all zombies. Groaning on about DPS, aggro, heals, and only snapping out of their stupor to do some nerd raging when someone fucks it all up. Then they go back and do it again.

Claiming PC gaming to be in a vegetative state is being blindly optimistic.
It's dead, and it isn't coming back anytime soon. If it does, you can bet that no game will ever have the depth, difficulty, or complexity of its predecessors. Why? Because nobody in their right mind would fund such an endeavor; it isn't profitable enough.

Besides, by that point, the target audience for such games would be the present console-only generation we have now, since they would be able to afford PC gaming by then.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
The PC is like the Wii: you can't just slap a game through the Port-o-matic and expect it to sell well (Call of Duty games excluded). You need to give it some TLC, and to give a damn about the format.

However, unlike the Wii, you're more likely to get rewarded for going the extra mile. (Again, Call of Duty excluded)

As ever, saying "PC gaming is dead!" reveals your ignorance of the indie scene.