Sony Removes "Other OS" Option for PS3

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Sony Removes "Other OS" Option for PS3

PlayStation 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Bundle-LittleBigPlanet-HDMI-Cable-Playstation-3/dp/B003L56Z00/ref=sr_tr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278953578&sr=1-1] owners who make use of the "Other OS" option will need to backup their data fast, because with the newest firmware update they're going to lose it.

While the "Other OS" feature only exists for older PS3 models, hacker George Hotz revealed in a <a href=http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/01/heres-your-silver-platter.html>blog post that the feature could be used to create a security exploit, giving the user far more access to the system than Sony likely intended. In the most recent firmware upgrade, Sony is removing this feature from any PlayStation 3 that has it.

Whether this is in direct response to the cracking is unknown, but Sony is billing this update as a way to increase security. "In addition, disabling the 'Other OS' feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system," SCEA corporate communications director Patrick Seybold said.

Those who wish to decline the firmware update will lose access to PlayStation Network and online features associated with the PlayStation 3. Sony has also said declining the update will bar players from new updates and features. Finally, any stored data on an Other OC user's PlayStation 3 will be lost once the update is installed.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27850/Firmware_Upgrade_To_Disable_PS3_Other_OS_Feature.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29>Gamasutra

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
Boo, not that I use the other OS option a lot, but I do use it. I was using it as a way to start learningl inux. Didn't really want to muck around with VM's or dual boots on my desktop.

This sounds like they are instead of implementing a proper fix to the operations of the Other OS they are simply disabling it and forgetting about it.

Whats next an update to disable backwards compatibility for the units that have it?

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
So what? I could load Windows on a PS3 if I wanted to with the other OS option? I assume this will mainly effect people who use the PS3 as a processing machine (breaking through encrypted CP folders and other scientific wonders)

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I ever intended on using that feature, but i imagine it annoying some people.
Just seems a bit harsh how they're removing PSN access for people who don't update.

I understand why they did it though, they've been fussy about security recently and i guess that feature posed the biggest risk.

dommyuk

Aug 1, 2008
Dexiro said:
Just seems a bit harsh how they're removing PSN access for people who don't update.
They've always done that, haven't they?

I never really saw the point of being able to install another OS to it, so I won't be missing it. Though I can understand that some people may be annoyed by it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Hmmm, legitimate response to hackers who mess with the rankings? Doubt it, it's not going to present anything more than a minor inconvienience to them. Bet this has something to do feature/content control in the near future.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
I've never even bothered thinking about having another OS. The PS3 one is fine for me. But still I understand its a blow for people who do use the Other OS option.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
As a 360 owner, what does this mean for you guys? (Apart from the obvious)
As a PS3 owner... I want to know that too.

I'm not very technical.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
dududf said:
Izerous said:
Whats next an update to disable backwards compatibility for the units that have it?
Please don't give them ideas 0_0
They can't remove a hardware feature, those who have BC (such as me) have it forever.

Jul 11, 2008
I don't suppose they mention that there was extensive hardware modification first before the other os feature was brought into play for the hack (trust me the stuff that had to be done is pretty damn complex), this is a bullshit security measure if anyone finds a legitimate petition to keep the feature post a link or something although i think the update is for april 1st so it could be a bad joke

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
George Hotz is a f*cking genius, but he is destroying everything hackers love..

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
dommyuk said:
Dexiro said:
They've always done that, haven't they?

I never really saw the point of being able to install another OS to it, so I won't be missing it. Though I can understand that some people may be annoyed by it.
Eh probably, i wouldn't know xD

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
666Chaos said:
The Rockerfly said:
For most likely 95% of ps3 owners it means nothing at all.
Oh okay, I thought I would be a massive blow for most of the community but as long as it's not

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
The other OS option means you can load other operating systems like Linux, making your PS3 a fully functional computer(and able to play PS3 games). I will miss this... after my PC crashed, I set up my PS3 with Linux and junked the old CPU.... guess I'll actually have to get a new computer now.

:(

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
It is not a massive blow to that much of the community but I was using the linux partition to play around with cell Processor programming it really sucks that they are taking it away.

At first I was horribly pissed but the more I think about it the more I can understand where they are coming from. It is too bad that a couple of crackers have caused this hammer to fall.

Hubilub said:
The Rockerfly said:
As a PS3 owner... I want to know that too.

I'm not very technical.
Basically the older fat ps3's had a other OS option where you could install and run linux from your ps3 it would put aside 10GB of hard drive space to install a linux distro. It was nice because it ran decent depending on the distro you had and with the cell SDK you could play with programming for cell processors without having to run some really bad emulation systems. MIT and many other schools and such used the machine for teaching/implementing multi-threaded cell programming. The ps3 is about half to a quarter of the cost of a stand alone cell server.