Teenagers Kill Child in "Mortal Kombat" Murder

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Teenagers Kill Child in "Mortal Kombat" Murder

Two teenagers accused of beating a seven-year-old girl to death are said to have been imitating moves taken from Mortal Kombat [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_%28series%29].

According to a report on CNN [http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/12/20/mortal.kombat.ap/index.html], 17-year-old Lamar Roberts and 16-year-old Heather Trujillo were babysitting Trujillo's half-sister, Zoe Garcia, when the violence began. According to Roberts, he was playing videogames in the downstairs of the house while the sisters "wrestled" upstairs, but a witness claimed in an affidavit that Roberts said he had kicked the child. When asked why he didn't stop when the seven-year-old asked him to, Roberts said, "I don't know, I was drunk."

The pair attempted to revive the girl by putting her under running water and attempting CPR before calling 911. She later died at hospital; an autopsy found she had a broken wrist, over 20 bruises, swelling of the brain and bleeding in her neck muscles and under her spine.

While it's unclear whether the pair had actually played Mortal Kombat, a report in the Rocky Mountain News [http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_7760927] quoted police as saying she tripped her sister, "punched her in the stomach, karate chopped her lower arms, punched and pinched the victim's thighs, kicked her in the shins, slapped her stomach and buttocks and poked at the victim's chest." The Rocky Mountain News article went on to quote a report stating that "violent videogames may be more harmful than violent TV and movies because they are interactive, engrossing and require the player to identify with the aggressor."

However, the Denver Post also said that at least four neighbors as well as a school teacher said they suspected the girl had been the victim of ongoing abuse, which they had reported prior to the child's death.

Rjak

Oct 18, 2007
They don't even look remorseful....just dumb.

What's going through her mind there is not "I killed my sister", it's "when will I be able to hang out with my super-awesome-kung-fu-Bruce-Lee-Chuck-Norris-awesome-muscle-manly-man boyfriend again?"

I don't buy the Mortal-Kombat-Drunken-Master angle either.

These two geniuses killed that girl because they're beyond retarded. Being drunk doesn't make you a murderer....it doesn't even make you want to kick little girls. Kicking little girls is something you do because you're evil and retarded. I've played Mortal Kombat. And I've also been drunk around little girls and the only thing that enters my mind is to try real hard to make 'em laugh and chase 'em around and talk to them about their toys. The thought never enters my mind to stand them against the wall so I can work out my latest nunchuck/throwing-star/choke-hold combo on them.

Same Mortal Kombat, same alcohol ... the difference is I'm awesome, and this guy is a douche-nozzle embarrassment to kung-fu, Mortal Kombat, gaming and humanity.

I hope they both get a lifetime sentence of being Tony Jaa's punching bags.

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
Rjak said:
Kicking little girls is something you do because you're evil and retarded.
Agreed 100%.

I hope these idiots get repaid for their deeds a thousand times over.

MrKeroChan

Oct 3, 2007
must be that game's fault...people shouldn't be held to their actions...none of that personal responsibility nonsense ... must be that games fault... it's been planning something like this for 10+ years now...

makes me almost wish "The Running Man" was a real show....

strayjay

Oct 10, 2007
Malygris said:
While it's unclear whether the pair had actually played Mortal Kombat, a report in the Rocky Mountain News [http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_7760927] quoted police as saying she tripped her sister, "punched her in the stomach, karate chopped her lower arms, punched and pinched the victim's thighs, kicked her in the shins, slapped her stomach and buttocks and poked at the victim's chest."
Wow, because you can definitely do all of those things in the mortal combat games. I especially like Liu Kang's "buttock slap" technique, and Sub-zero's deadly thigh-kick.

Just another hick newspaper trying to draw attention to (and find an easy solution for) a senseless death.

However, the Denver Post also said that at least four neighbors as well as a school teacher said they suspected the girl had been the victim of ongoing abuse, which they had reported prior to the child's death.
Wow, never would've guessed.

jaredgood1

Oct 31, 2007
Why someone commits a crime is irrelevant. They did it, they admit doing it, sentence them and move on.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
You gotta give it to Mortal Kombat, that franchise has managed to stay news worthy for about 15 years now.

eggdog14

Oct 17, 2007
They're charged with "Child abuse resulting in death." Their max punishment is 42 years if tried as adults.

That's pretty solid.

Though I am a huge fan of vigilante justice, anyone have a crossbow?

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
jaredgood1 said:
Why someone commits a crime is irrelevant. They did it, they admit doing it, sentence them and move on.
Well, for one thing, it is relevant because it speaks to [a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_Rea]mens rea[/a].

For another, knowing why a crime was committed provides an avenue towards preventing future crimes like it. If videogames actually WERE at fault, it would be useful to know. Similarly, if the cause was alcohol, also useful. Also, if the abuse was encouraged and participated in by the girl's current legal guardians, I think that might be good to know. But that's just me.

LiHxc

Dec 20, 2007
i love how as soon as something like this happens no ones willing to accept the fact that they probably have some kind of mental disorder...'normal' people, know the difference between right and wrong, theres usually some kind of thought keeping us from hurting other people...odviously somthing is wrong, but, we all know that goro was a 4 armed child abuser/murderer, allowing for double the abuse in half the time ;]

burnin8r

Dec 19, 2007
holy fack, who still plays Mortal Kombat ? Is this implying that the games I played 15 years ago have some kind of death grip on my brain even tho I am a free thinking adult now with a job, responsibilities, and common sense ? I do get this crazy annoying twitch everytime I find myself passing someone on a bridge with spikes underneath it. reality!

jaredgood1

Oct 31, 2007
Geoffrey42 said:
Well, for one thing, it is relevant because it speaks to [a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_Rea]mens rea[/a].

For another, knowing why a crime was committed provides an avenue towards preventing future crimes like it. If videogames actually WERE at fault, it would be useful to know. Similarly, if the cause was alcohol, also useful. Also, if the abuse was encouraged and participated in by the girl's current legal guardians, I think that might be good to know. But that's just me.
I'm in an ideological mood today (which is why I phrased my comment "is irrelevant" rather than "should be irrelevant") and I've always looked at laws as things that establish what behavior is punishable. So basically, the act is what is bad, and the motivation behind it is irelevant (ideologically speaking). And I've never really gotten the whole concept of "preventing crime" (it's just a little too Thought Crime for me). But, as you said, that's just me.

I'm also apparently in a parenthetical mood too...

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
jaredgood1 said:
I'm in an ideological mood today (which is why I phrased my comment "is irrelevant" rather than "should be irrelevant") and I've always looked at laws as things that establish what behavior is punishable. So basically, the act is what is bad, and the motivation behind it is irelevant (ideologically speaking). And I've never really gotten the whole concept of "preventing crime" (it's just a little too Thought Crime for me). But, as you said, that's just me.

I'm also apparently in a parenthetical mood too...
Are you trapped in the 17th century? Because that's about when that mindset stopped making sense.

mrbunny

Dec 5, 2007
"The Rocky Mountain News article went on to quote a report stating that "violent videogames may be more harmful than violent TV and movies because they are interactive, engrossing and require the player to identify with the aggressor."

dont hate the game - hate the player. in this case a RETARDED player(s). The only plausible explanation for this case is that those two teenagers are mentally unbalanced and i hate it when media look for the easy option and pin it all on a video game; this time and everytime its human error at fault - arghh it makes me so angry :mad:

... poor girl

(sigh - craptacular world ftw)

@ jarodgood1
"And I've never really gotten the whole concept of "preventing crime" (it's just a little too Thought Crime for me). But, as you said, that's just me."

OK THEN appears to me you need to rethink that answer. HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING: if hannibal lector was lurking around the area in which you live in - and he sent you some mail saying he was going to eat your brain... you would NOT want the law/detectives to prevent this, TRUE? (it's just a little too Thought Crime for me) WTF it's just about SAVING LIVES AND PROTECTING PEOPLE YOU DOU***. i may be going over the top but seriously man... WTF

GrowlersAtSea

Nov 14, 2007
The elder is 17, and the younger is 16. At 17 you're old enough to drive, many people graduate High School, and you're old enough to join the army (which can, particularly at present, put you in situations where killing others or being killed is a reality). Also, at 17, you can buy any M rated game you want.

So they're drunk, practically adults, possibly with histories of abuse, who killed a kid. evoking the omni-present media boogey man, video games, seems like a desperate grasp by people looking to avoid responsibility and a media who never tires of scapegoats.

Divinegon

Dec 12, 2007
So wait, what the news are telling us that they imitated Mortal Kombat when they beat her up? So even if they didn't play Mortal Kombat they would still beat her up but without imitating her? And they still accuse the damn game for influencing them to beat someone up? This is becoming more senseless as the years go on.

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
Ahh, scapegoating. One of man's greatest deficiencies. If the volcano erupts, its because someone's not pleasing the gods. If Germany isn't doing so well economically, it's because the Jews are "stealing jobs." If some dumb teenager commits a violent crime, its because they "trained" on video games.

So if one of these scapegoating morons finds their spouse cheating on them in the living room, doing it on the couch, do they blame the couch?

I wonder when they're going to start blaming martial arts, paintball, and chess ("It encourages people to commit regicide!"). I really would like to see what it would be like if some nutjob were to point the proverbial finger at the bible because "Little Timmy's going to go around crucifying people! Think of the children! Oh won't somebody please think of the children!" Sheer hilarity would ensue. It would be quite lovely.