Q&A With The Creators Of Doomsday Arcade

Shane Hamstra

Amateur Bounty Hunter
Jan 5, 2009
Q&A With The Creators Of Doomsday Arcade

With the Doomsday Arcade Series Finale going live this Thursday, we asked the creator, Michael Shanks, where he came up with their crazy ideas and he was nice enough to answer.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe, that was actually kinda intresting to read...

Makes me actually want to watch the series!

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I would really like to see a video Q&A with them... Not sure if Yahtzee and the DA crew live near each other. I would think that The Escapist can make this happen...

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Damn you hype train!
I am on board and have purchased hats and t-shirts and am chanting from the windows...
Also, damn you inevitable disappointment when the finale isn't the sort of material you would get for a bazillion pounds!

Anyway, interesting Q&A, it's narrowed down the possibilities of where you live, making my job of murdering people prettier than me um... stalking celebrities uh... something, easier.

One problem though:
Michael Shanks said:
...and bronzed complexion of a proud Greek Titan.
From what I've gathered from a little bit of common knowledge, a little bit of overheard conversation, a tiny bit of literature, and a lot too much God of War (Especially III) the titans weren't exactly the prettiest bunch, the Olympians on the other hand, made their bodies muscled and perfect and blah blah blah, so you probably want to compare yourself to an Olympian, or I dare say, compare the Olympians to yourself.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
Ha, oh how i love the michaels and DA (not dragon age, sillys). I kind of don't want there to be a finale, can't it just continue forever? lol

Sam G

Jul 14, 2009
Damn bastards! The question on everyone's minds; that question being, "Are you planning to do anything once you've finished DA"; was never addressed! Why, I ought to raise a mob and torch this website whilst everyone's still inside it!
...Haha, I do but jest. Seriously though, anything else planned? (Yohoho, I ask as if the Michaels who'd prefer not to be called that ever actually read these comments...)

Feb 13, 2008
I think the ending may frustrate a few people, but I can't think of any show which ends quite like this. I'd like to feel I've done something unique.
Lazer cat isn't really dead? Or comes back...or....just doesn't die. He can't lose any more friends.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Awesome, guys. I think DA will forever remain my most favourite show on the Escapist. It's just so cool.

You know, it's curious to see how some of the game choices for the show were random. One thing I always liked about it is how it went all over the place. One episode had Doomguy, the posterchild for old school gaming, and then another one had Alex Mercer, from a game that had been released like that week.

If there had been a Zork-based episode I think I would be forced to have a child with everyone involved with the show.

reiem531

Aug 26, 2009
I'm gonna be so sad to see this show go, it's definitely my favorite thing on the site.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
I agree with some of the other comments here, I wanna know what these crazy kids are going to do after DA..

I would love to see a DA2 xD. *HINT HINT* :p

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
cool interview Shane
Also, props to Shanks, I'm sure he could be a full-fledged filmmaker :D

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
The Random One said:
You know, it's curious to see how some of the game choices for the show were random. One thing I always liked about it is how it went all over the place. One episode had Doomguy, the posterchild for old school gaming, and then another one had Alex Mercer, from a game that had been released like that week.
It's too bad some people see that as a bad thing since the story gets put to the wayside.
Though when you watch a series like A Good Nights Quest, where all you get is story... once a week... 5 minutes at a time... I've learned to not care :)

Aptspire said:
cool interview Shane
Also, props to Shanks, I'm sure he could be a full-fledged filmmaker :D
agreed

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
SeanTheSheep said:
Damn you hype train!
I am on board and have purchased hats and t-shirts and am chanting from the windows...
Also, damn you inevitable disappointment when the finale isn't the sort of material you would get for a bazillion pounds!

Anyway, interesting Q&A, it's narrowed down the possibilities of where you live, making my job of murdering people prettier than me um... stalking celebrities uh... something, easier.

One problem though:
Michael Shanks said:
...and bronzed complexion of a proud Greek Titan.
From what I've gathered from a little bit of common knowledge, a little bit of overheard conversation, a tiny bit of literature, and a lot too much God of War (Especially III) the titans weren't exactly the prettiest bunch, the Olympians on the other hand, made their bodies muscled and perfect and blah blah blah, so you probably want to compare yourself to an Olympian, or I dare say, compare the Olympians to yourself.
Actual history = owns your assumption.

They were ALL good-looking.

Besides Hephaestus. A bunch of them did get their testicles ripped off, however...

OT: ohmigahohmigahohmigah! Seriously, 'grats. Hopefully you guys will do more stuff.

They're both attractive (they're Australian... as am I) but chiseled? No.

...Cute.

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
It's gonna be so sad to see this finish, it's by far my favorite web series on the whole internets, but everything must come to an end and sadly, people eventually need to go their separate ways.

Shanks! I want to see your name in credits of a high budget film in the future damn it!

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
Good stuff! I've been a fan of DA since I found this site, it was the first thing I really got into after finding ZP. Love the series but I'll be sad when it ends. Will we see more from Lund and Shanks?