Letters to the Editor: Bump in the Night

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Bump in the Night

Each week we publish letters sent to us regarding previous issues and highlight particularly interesting forum posts. If you'd like to comment on an article directly, send your letter to [email protected].

Read Full Article

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
@Spacelord: Judo is indeed underepresented in fighting games, but one of the biggest fighting games series of all time does feature a judoka: Paul Phoenix.

Although I admit that it is barely visible in his fighting style ;-)

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Well neat. Wasn't expecting this! (Didn't realize forum posts can end up here before this week.) ^.^

About the not so much judo in games, I suspect that in addition to the form perhaps not being very aesthetically pleasing, it may also be uncommon in games because it's hard to exaggerate a mostly grappling martial art. (Edit: specifically, exaggerate it in a visible way.)

A superpowered boxer in a game can punch someone twenty feet into the air and launch said target across the room as it falls back to earth. Unrealistic, but very flashy for the gamer to enjoy. A super judo practitioner can...grapple extra fast? I guess you could turn what should just be damaging positions fatal: make an armbar break the arm and rip it off, for instance, to demonstrate ZOMG THE POWAH, but if the character isn't trying to kill or permanently maim someone that could be a dead end (no pun intended).

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
SikOseph said:
Ayjona said:
@Spacelord: Judo is indeed underepresented in fighting games, but one of the biggest fighting games series of all time does feature a judoka: Paul Phoenix.

Although I admit that it is barely visible in his fighting style ;-)
True. It is because it is an unattractive looking discipline. I did it for a few years and it basically boils down to two men hugging either on the floor or standing up. I guess they could make a Dead or Alive judo only version...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that Goh Hinogami from Virtua Fighter uses judo.