Just Cause 3 May Be On the Way

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Just Cause 3 May Be On the Way

The success of Just Cause 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Just-Cause-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0013RATNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278952618&sr=1-1] on the sales charts is great news for Avalanche Studios, and the studio head would love to further explore the IP.

Christofer Sundberg, head of Swedish developer Avalanche Studios, said that he was encouraged by the sales numbers of Just Cause 2 as well as the positive reviews so far. According to VGChartz [http://www.elspa.com/?c=/charts/uk.jsp]. The company as a whole is very attached to the IP of Just Cause (Sundberg wrote the original pitch himself) so he hopes that work can begin on a sequel.

"We are absolutely interested in working with the Just Cause IP again," Sundberg said. "I think there are a lot of connections with [Avalanche and] the IP and so we hope there's still a future in it, and that future to live as long as us." He continued:

I personally wrote the original pitch for the game in early 2003, so it's something that means a lot for me and for the people in this studio. The studio lives and breathes the Just Cause franchise, and handing that over to another developer would spoil it. No one has the attachment to this IP as we do.

Sundberg said that the success of the game is especially important after being forced to lay off a reported 77 staff members in 2008 as well as a further 20 in 2009 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91817-Just-Cause-Creator-Dumps-Around-20-Employees] when a few development deals fell through.

"It shows that we are here to stay in spite of the last eighteen months, which have been a struggle. We have learned a lot during this year - we grew to 170 staff and scaled down from there," said Sundberg. "We now have a very reasonable staff size in terms of requirements, and we now have a core team who can produce quality and give each project the care it deserves."

It sounds like the team has learned about fiscal responsibility and Sundberg said that they have no plans to expand if and when they start work on Just Cause 3

See here for The Escapist's review of Just Cause 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7358-Review-Just-Cause-2].

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/34329/Just-Cause-sequel-promising-as-Avalanche-rejoices]

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Next game needs 4 grappling hooks, one on each limb, as well as the ability to fly into space and then drop down on earth.
Lukeydoodly said:
Needs Co-op!

Needs!
That too.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Awesome. Now i can laugh in the enemies face as the helicopter they sent out to kill me gets stolen and used against them, again. It never gets old for me. Nether does crashing the helicopter into a group of enemies when I'm done with it.

we need some hot-air balloon action for the parachute!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Lukeydoodly said:
Needs Co-op!

Needs!
Definetly. The world is large enough for it...and doing group CHAOS would be so epic!

Otherwise, I would love to see a sequel, not enough sandbox games which say "Heres a world...now destroy it!"

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Needs:

Co-Op
Nukes
Jetpacks!!
More islands (maybe a volcano lair?)
A way of recording stuff like GTA IV had

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Ranooth said:
Needs:

Co-Op
Nukes
Jetpacks!!
More islands (maybe a volcano lair?)
A way of recording stuff like GTA IV had
got to agree with you there, pal!

The first thing i thought when reading this was seriously: nukes!
Don't really know why, but hey, it would be cool.
Tough actually yetpacks aren't that needed.

BUT : it would be cool if this time more stuff would be destroyable, so you could just nuke the cities! And then it will be Fallout: Just cause!

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
Fantastic news, needs the black market sorted out a bit though, as well as more guns :)

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Lukeydoodly said:
Needs Co-op!

Needs!
No joke.
Adversarial multiplayer can take a hike. All I want is to have at least one more person running around with me. Piloting the plane when I'm riding on the roof. Hanging underneath the helicopter I'm flying. Tandem skydiving with me into enemy territory where we mess it up big time.

You can't tell me that wouldn't be awesome.
Because it would be awesome.
Freaking awesome.

As it stands: I am enjoying my romp through number 2, but co-op would push it over the top.

OptimalPrime

Feb 27, 2010
needs bigger explosions, even the biggest vehicles have anticlimactic explosions. And as everyone above said, def needs co-op

EDIT: And thank you Avalanche for the beautiful LOST island. Its my favorite show and when i found it i flipped out.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting game, I might have to find some money to pick it up going by the reviews (I was passing on it due to being disappointed by Mercenaries 2... and this isn't my usual genere).

I do think this sort of illustrates what is wrong with the industry today though, granted it was successful, but starting a sequel as soon as the first one hits the ground more or less seems like a bit much.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Therumancer said:
I do think this sort of illustrates what is wrong with the industry today though, granted it was successful, but starting a sequel as soon as the first one hits the ground more or less seems like a bit much.
Well, they haven't really started on a sequel, he essentially said that they were surprised that JC2 sold so well, and based on that, they are not ruling out a sequel... But it certainly isn't the EA model.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
This is good news, I haven't played the game but once I finally build myself a new computer I'll be on this creating mayhem all over the play. Nice to see a great game actually getting praised instead of being hated for not being COD.