EA Bungles Rock Band Launch in Canada

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Bungles Rock Band Launch in Canada

The Canadian release of the hit game Rock Band [http://www.rockband.com]is not going smoothly, leading to confusion and frustration among retailers and consumers alike.

The game was slated to ship December 20, but a Best Buy [http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/12/20/tech-rockband.html]have been telling customers the game will not arrive until December 28.

A spokesman for Rock Band publisher Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com]claimed the complexity of the game's peripherals were a major part of the delays. "Demand has been incredibly strong in the U.S. and Canada and we're shipping Rock Band to retailers as quickly as we can make them, but we suggest lining up early if you want to get one in time for the holidays," he said. He said he didn't know how many Rock Band units had been shipped to Canada.

Customers who did line up early Thursday were disappointed to find that the game was still not available, and at least one EB Games store reported that its anticipated shipment of the game would not even come close to meeting pre-orders, much less walk-in traffic. "There are going to be a lot of upset customers this Christmas," a Toronto EB employee said.

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
Yeah, this is exactly the kind of Christmas surprise I want, finding out that the game I want most (well, a lot) is having trouble getting onto store shelves, and add to that all the hardware malfunctions I've been hearing about from people who do have the game, and I think I'll wait till next year, when it works properly and is in abundant supply.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I couldn't care less about Rock Band, but I remember similar shenanigans a few years ago when the Arx Fatalis release in Canada went pretty much the same way. (In fact, I had a bit of a ***** about it on Warcry.) The rest of the world was happily fulfilling the destiny of Am Shegar, while those of us in the Great White North were making daily phone calls to EB to find out if anyone knew where our game was. So my sympathy and commiseration with the Rock Banders out there. I feel your pain.

alexhayter86

Feb 13, 2007
Dude, Arx Fatalis is one of the best games of all time! *high five*

My advice to my fellow Canucks: just buy GH2 or 3, practice your licks, then use the bundled guitar as a third axe for when you buy Rock Band when its actually in stock next year. That's my plan at least.

Seriously sucks we have to pay 200 bucks for it.

Danimal3K

Dec 5, 2007
Hey, anytime I hear about Electronics Boutique or GameStop losing money I get this little smile on my face. Heed not their wicked lies and deceitful practices, pre-order nothing from these gamer-hating leeches.

Rock Band is worth the wait, and there will be plenty for those who want to play. Go play hockey or enjoy your free healthcare in the meantime. Or do it the American way and ***** on forums until supply improves.