Fan-Made TF2 Engineer Update Is Awesome

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fan-Made TF2 Engineer Update Is Awesome

One particularly dedicated Team Fortress 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Box-Pc/dp/B000PS2XES/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278950352&sr=1-3] fan has created his own class update for the game's lovable Texan hardhat, and it's crazy cool.

Let's get one thing straight right off the bat: Valve is currently hard at work updating the Engineer class for TF2 (or rather, hard at work doing something that isn't developing Episode 3), but the official update isn't this one [http://manno.com.br/Engineer/].

That doesn't mean it isn't really cool, though. It's the work of talented Brazilian graphics artist (and obvious TF2 fan) Diogo Lima, the same person who brought us the fake Guard Dog Update [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94900-The-TF2-Guard-Dog-Update-All-Bark-No-Bite] back in September.

It's pretty professional, actually - Lima's version of the Engineer Update would come with its own "tech tree" of a sort, giving the Engineer a choice of what to upgrade his buildings into. The Sentry, for instance, can become either the "Big Bertha" with higher health than normal and an added dual pipe bomb launcher (though slower fire and target tracking), or the "No-Turn," a circular turret with a 360-degree fire arc, but no rocket launcher and a high rate of ammo consumption.

Some of the other goodies Lima has dreamed up are the Amplifier, a Dispenser that increases your teammates' crit ratio while not providing extra ammunition, and the Doomsday Device, a giant electromagnet that pulls enemies in before detonating. The artistic design melds perfectly with TF2's style, the models are really cool, and the only thing that gives this away as not being official is the fact that English isn't Lima's first language. Some of the descriptions aren't as natural as they might have been (and the Engie probably wouldn't say "'tis") - but that's not any fault of his, of course.

Otherwise, I can totally see some of these in the game. Maybe Valve will take some ideas from the fan's work?

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5506096/erectin-a-fan+made-team-fortress-2-engineer-update])

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Multi mode sentry is awesome.

It would be great to see these in game.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Seems good, put that in TF2, then make Episode 3 you lazy Cockabouts at valve!

Calumon: Jack's in a bad mood today, in case you haven't noticed.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
"(or rather, hard at work doing something that isn't developing Episode 3)"

Didn't you say you and the team were considering banning people for making comments like that?

OT: Wheel of Fun looks.....er...fun.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
This could totally be another, more elaborate, Valve prank. I can totally see them pulling something like this.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Link isn't working for me, can some one post the pictures in this thread?

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
I'm pretty sure the Soldier's Equalizer was a fan idea, and Valve really do listen to their community, so the possibility of some of these (admittedly awesome and creative) ideas seeing the light of day isn't totally unheard of. The idea of the Engie having a tech tree alone sounds very cool and totally appropriate. Props to this guy!

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
dududf said:
Link isn't working for me, can some one post the pictures in this thread?
same here.

EDIT: I think there's something wrong with the page, not the link. I tried fallowing the link from the article they cited and it didn't work either.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
@CloggedDonkey: I doubt they'll wrath you for such a tiny infringement, so don't be of fear of mod wrath for that.

To anyone who can SEE the pictures, can you put em in spoilers in here?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe. That's dedication! I love the sentry idea though! Ultimate tool lol.

Kudos to him on this ;D

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
I say the brazilians will take over the world starting by Valve.
All yer base r belong to us.

It's refreshing to see someone dedicated to fan work, specially with the awesome "do eet faster" time theme we live in.

Mar 16, 2009
I wonder if he has submitted these ideas to the Contribute! page.

You can actually see a lot of references to his "canine unit" on the page, including the dog "sapping" one of his buildings.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Ack, a sentry that doesn't have to turn to kill? That's going to make the stab-sap move a lot harder.

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
Suskie said:
I'm pretty sure the Soldier's Equalizer was a fan idea, and Valve really do listen to their community, so the possibility of some of these (admittedly awesome and creative) ideas seeing the light of day isn't totally unheard of. The idea of the Engie having a tech tree alone sounds very cool and totally appropriate. Props to this guy!
it was, and the two guys who came up with it were given special versions. also since valve now has the community submissions page if these were submitted i can see valve adding many of these things into the game.

in other news, the work on this is absolutely fantastic. the blueprint hub which is shown via the spys camera beard was brilliant and is something i would have expected out of valve themselves.

also, notice that there are still a few question marks on the blueprint hub so theres probably more inbound as well.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I'm thinking that the poor dude's webpage has crashed thanks to the traffic, because I can't view it :(

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
For christ sake valve, your fans are doing a better job then you. Pay this guy something, and get on with episode three.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
DarkSaber said:
"(or rather, hard at work doing something that isn't developing Episode 3)"

Didn't you say you and the team were considering banning people for making comments like that?
I'm assuming they meant people who posted that and nothing else. Also it seems to have been said much more light-heartedly than the people who go "UGH, NOT WORKING ON EPISODE THREE, I HAD VALVE, RAAAAGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE".

Hybridwolf said:
For christ sake valve, your fans are doing a better job then you. Pay this guy something, and get on with episode three.
Like that guy