Bollywood Halo Movie Wins April Fools 2010?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Bollywood Halo Movie Wins April Fools 2010?

Despite facing stiff competition from Blizzard, Google, and (ironically) Bungie, I have to give the nod for Best April Fools' 2010 to IGN, for its movie trailer showing Master Chief - as you've never seen him before.

Last year, I called April Fools Deckard Cain GPS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90633-Blizzard-Wins-April-Fools] (among others) but... sorry, Blizzard. I can't go with you this year.

The reason I can't go with Big Blizz this year is because of the video you see here above. This was IGN's entry into the mix [http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/40236/halo/videos/halomovie_trl_040110.html], and while the media giant is no stranger to doing fake videogame movie trailers (see also: Zelda from a few years back) the fact that they opted to go for a completely different take on Halo here is enough to push it over the top.

It's not enough that it's just "Bollywood Halo," it's that they nailed the stereotypical feel of a Bollywood movie so perfectly that really sells it. Maybe it's just the moment where the Master Chief just looks at the camera and flashes a grin while the screen shows his designation "John-117," because that made me crack up.

Is it just me? Am I the only one who finds the idea of Halo-as-Bollywood-action-romance as hilarious as I do?

This may be my April Fools' joke of the year, but that's just me, and there were plenty others - Bungie's We've got a collection over in our Roundup post [http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=25354], if you missed any of those!

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
bah, that was easily one of the least funny things i've seen all day. the razer venom was WAY better than that.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Lol, awesome. I didn't know what Bollywood was when I started the video, and was pleasently surprised.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That was hilarious, and I loved it.

Hehe, Whos says you cant make a western epic game into a bollywood film...this is one I would totally watch lmao

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
oppp7 said:
Lol, awesome. I didn't know what Bollywood was when I started the video, and was pleasently surprised.
Bollywood is the Indian Hollywood, and most if not all of the movies that come out of there are like that.

OT: I wish that was going to be a real movie. I'd buy so quickly, and the Halo fanboys screams of pain would also be entertaining.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I think IGN just won April Fools Day. Props to them :)

Also, I'm embarrassed to admit that I recognized those dancers from America's Got Tale...PENNY ARCADE [http://www.penny-arcade.com/2009/8/31/]!..I meant Penny Arcade...
[small]...I can't even imagine how hard it would be to dance like that in a Master Chief suit...[/small]

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
Douk said:
That rocked, hahaha!

Phoenixlight said:
It sucks, not funny at all just very lame :/
You'e never watched a bollywood movie, I'm sure.
Correct, although I wouldn't want to watch a film where people sing and dance all the way through a film instead of developing the story.

Jul 9, 2008
DarkSaber said:
I'd say calling any of the Halo series a good game should win the award.
Yes yes, people don't like Halo, hilarious.

I'll be honest. I'm not really that into Halo, but the bashing gets very old.

OT: Very funny video. I've not really watched any Bollywood movies, but I've caught enough snippets of the ones my mom watched to know that that was dead on.

IHateDaManSkirt

Nov 21, 2009
Xandus117 said:
Holy shit, that was hilarious.

I'd LOVE to see Bollywood actually make this movie.
I would, too. If "LOVE" meant "utterly hate". I would love to see the fanboys scream in pain, but that will never justify it. They'll cast a guy who's about 60 to be Master Chief, if they would actually make it. 'Tis known well.

OT: I found it funny they were speaking Hindi, better than I can.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Phoenixlight said:
Douk said:
That rocked, hahaha!

Phoenixlight said:
Correct, although I wouldn't want to watch a film where people sing and dance all the way through a film instead of developing the story.
God get a sense of humor.

This was awesome. So was the video about Halo Reach multiplayer being Chess.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Phoenixlight said:
Douk said:
That rocked, hahaha!

Phoenixlight said:
Well a bollywood movie is longer on average, they're like musicals. Tons of plot, though its probably too cultural to get into heh.

Antinash

Sep 13, 2008
My favourite bit was when he says 'I need a weapon!' or at 0:55 when he is on the covenant cruiser getting jiggy while shooting. Classic.

SendMeNoodz84

Jun 11, 2009
Phoenixlight said:
Jeez lighten up dude.

I thought it was pretty funny. I have have to give IGN props, although the Diablo Snuggie made me laugh my ass off.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
Some of the vids are quite funny; personal fav is the Elcor mass effect 2 love scene on Gametrailers. However, they are all awful April fools jokes because most of them are unbelievable.

lornb

Jan 16, 2009
This was my fav of the day followed by Google Japan's horrid keyboard and GT's female/elcor love. Hmm Swtor's was pretty funny as well.

I may be the only person I know that still enjoys April Fool.