Red Faction Movie on the Way

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Red Faction Movie on the Way

Red Faction [http://www.redfaction.com/] is set to get the movie treatment as part of THQ's new strategy to develop "the most robust trans-media plays anybody's ever seen in the games business."

The videogame movie business hasn't exactly been a big winner for anyone, but that's not discouraging CVG [http://www.thq.com/] last week about "some really interesting stuff" coming in the near future for Red Faction, including a trip to the big screen.

"What you're going to see from us in how we're going to see original IP is going to be different. We're going to be doing the most robust trans-media plays anybody's ever seen in the games business," he said. "Other companies are, 'Oh, we just license this IP to this studio' and you never see anything, or at the most you see some bad Mario Bros. [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108255/] movie. Nobody has ever made it work."

"My game is going to get made either way but what I do is I'm giving these movie guys the opportunity to meet me two or three years at the end with a triple-A, awesome game and a triple-A, awesome movie that compliment each other - and certainly don't repeat each other - and start to build a world and a fiction and all of that," he continued. "You're going to see some announcements from us soon that are very robust in that area and it's nothing like you've seen before."

I might be a bit unclear as to what exactly "trans-media" means but if it means what I think it means, Bilson's excitement strikes me as a bit unexpected: In June 2009, he revealed that THQ was Billy Bob Thornton [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92096-THQ-Trash-Talks-the-Wii].

Red Faction 4 is currently in development and is expected to be released later this year.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Hey, Andy, April Fool's Day is over. Just wanted to let you know.

Because this is, indeed, an April Fool's joke. Right?

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Well apparently this is no joke - a movie will suck, I think.

I must say, though, Red Faction:Guerilla was fucking awesome.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Oh, feth yeah, I loved the games!
Another game, and a movie?
Damn, I must be in heaven after I got unbanned.
Except this can't be some kind of heaven, because there are still problems >.>

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
I've always loved Red Faction but I do think that judging by past movie-game crossovers, this movie will suck. I really hope it doesn't but it probably will. If this studio is going to make any crossovers, they should just do Saints Row 2. Now that would be awesome.

EDIT:
Anoctris said:
Please, Red Faction is nothing more than a slightly different game version of Total Recall, and that still made money.
Umm... Have you actually seen Total Recall? Or played Red Faction? Because Red Faction is not about a guy who was a secret agent on Mars and has his memory wiped and then gets false memories input about him being a secret agent on Mars. It's about a pseudo communist uprising on Mars.. Oh wait... They're both on Mars and therefore they are the same... Of course.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
The question is, are they going to base it on Red Faction or on Red Faction Geurilla?

AnAnemicTurtle

Aug 17, 2009
Red Faction isn't exactly the most well known of video game series so I can't see it doing as well as say, a Halo movie.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
so liek will it has geo mod 2.0?

He seems awfully optimistic, so write me off as excited.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Whats with Video Games getting movies all of a sudden?

"Lets revive the Resident Evil movies!"
"Lets make a Shadow of Colossus movie!"
"Lets kill hope of a metal gear movie!"

Calumon: I was in a movie, twice! ^^

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Blizzarded Soul said:
-snippy-
Feth??
A Gaunts Ghost reader......or am I talking complete nonsense??
Yeah, I have a shelf over-flowing with W40K books.
[small]So many that Titanicus keeps trying to jump to its death...[/small]

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Anoctris said:
SnipErlite said:
Well apparently this is no joke - a movie will fail.

I must say, though, REd Faction:Guerilla was fucking awesome.
Please, Red Faction is nothing more than a slightly different game version of Total Recall, and that still made money.
If it's slightly different then why would it succeed when people can just go watch Total Recall again. The only thing that'd make me like it is if it had as much sexy destruction as the game.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
bickering aside I would like to see Sam Worthington as Alec (if it is in the Guerilla timeline) as he looks almost exactly like him in terminator salvation and he definitely has the acting chops required, what do you guys think? Ideal casting lists?

Alec - Sam Worthington
Hugo Davies - James Morrison
Sam - Tricia Helfer
etc

Blizzarded Soul

Jan 27, 2010
Greyfox105 said:
Blizzarded Soul said:
-snippy-
Feth??
A Gaunts Ghost reader......or am I talking complete nonsense??
Yeah, I have a shelf over-flowing with W40K books.
[small]So many that Titanicus keeps trying to jump to its death...[/small]
Fair Play, mines like that with an over-abundance of Michael Crichton books.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I forsee big destruction scenes, shallow plot and bad acting...Hey! Just like the games!!

I expect it to be bad...unfortunatly...

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
making this announcement next to the ostrich hammer does not help make this any more plausible