Fictionless

Scott Jon Siegel

Jul 27, 2007
Fictionless

A bit stuck for game concepts this month, I decided to try blending classic mechanics together in an attempt to create something new. ... I liked the idea of players rolling the dice and being unsure of whether they should move the number of spaces or sell the roll to make a profit. I opted to start there, and see where it took me.

Read Full Article

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
The game board should be linked in the story. It was late to the party for some reason. I blame aliens.

Divinegon

Dec 12, 2007
Maybe it's because there are too few visible locks, making the obstacles scarce or because it kinda feels too linear with a straight path and again, one kind of obstacle, but I do commend you for the idea.

Question though: Does a player have to pay fully to unlock a lock or can they pay in small fees until the total monetary value is achieved? If the later is true, in case the two players get stuck on the same lock, does the value they pay accumulate? i.e. if both players get stuck on the lock that needs 16 coins to be unlocked and player 1 pays 5 coins and player 2 pays 4 coins, then together do they only have to pay 7 more coins to go pass that lock? It'd raise the question of whether one would wait to get the full quantity before the other one, which maybe would be the most probable action, or if they'd try to lure the other to pay for example about 30% of total and then immediately pay the rest to get a free turn. Not sure how that would be implemented though.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Kwil: essentially, you're suggesting that when you land on a lock, you must stop moving... and then, to pass that lock, you can pay equal to or over that lock's value. If you pay equal, the lock stays open and can only be locked by another playing landing on it and paying to lock it. If you pay over, the lock is re-enabled with a new value equal to the excess coins paid.

I think that's an excellent dynamic, as it depletes the locking player's coins by a significant enough value to make the NEXT lock a harsh obstacle, while preventing his opponents from moving past a specific point... and giving them the chance to earn a re-roll, which they don't get simply passing over an open lock.

Sarande

Oct 1, 2007
Divinegon said:
Question though: Does a player have to pay fully to unlock a lock or can they pay in small fees until the total monetary value is achieved? If the later is true, in case the two players get stuck on the same lock, does the value they pay accumulate? i.e. if both players get stuck on the lock that needs 16 coins to be unlocked and player 1 pays 5 coins and player 2 pays 4 coins, then together do they only have to pay 7 more coins to go pass that lock? It'd raise the question of whether one would wait to get the full quantity before the other one, which maybe would be the most probable action, or if they'd try to lure the other to pay for example about 30% of total and then immediately pay the rest to get a free turn. Not sure how that would be implemented though.
There's absolutely no advantage to paying in increments. You get a bonus roll upon unlocking, so paying 5 now and 5 later only makes it easier for your opponent to unlock for less (thus getting the bonus roll). Even if there are no opponents near you, it would take the same number of turns to unlock it regardless.

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
Kwil said:
A more strategic element would be to make it so that any player may pay to re-lock the lockpoint they most recently passed. They get to decide how much they wish to pay. Players following them must pay an equal amount to unlock it as was paid to lock it.
How about, instead of the point they most recently passed, any space on the board could be made as a lock to all the players behind you, however, doing so will cost you all your coins.

That opens the question of "Should I lock out everyone else now and hope my next couple of rolls are enough to get just me past the next lock, or will they be able to bypass my lock before I can bypass the next?"

Of course, if you're in last, this holds no strategic value whatsoever.... unless over-rolling on the way to the finish line has you going back to the start, in which case, you'll have to deal with a new set of locks the person in last place left you.

Gah, but that leads to games that can last 5x longer, so maybe I shouldn't be giving suggestions....

AnGeL.SLayer

Oct 8, 2007
"the system of locks creates interesting opportunities for lagging players to catch up towards the end"

seems like a good idea but its like going to a drive-in movie and your friend is just hitching a ride while you pay for admission. I think both players should have to pay the toll. One player could just closely follow the other player to get by the polls and still have a lot of money left. Also if the money is to only pay the tolls then where does it come into play to win? As a player you could, like i said, get around this easily enough.

Sounds like a fun game but i think it could use a few more tweaks here and there. Like the coins are just something to do while waiting to get lucky with your roll of the dice.

^_^