New Pokemon Games Getting "Shock Announcement" Sunday

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
New Pokemon Games Getting "Shock Announcement" Sunday

Nintendo will be making a "shock announcement" on Pokemon Sunday this week about the next generation of its mammoth (or should that be Mamoswine?) monster-catching franchise.

With Pokemon SoulSilver [http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-HeartGold-Version-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0038MVFYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278692829&sr=1-1] now out worldwide, the sun is setting on the series' excellent Generation IV. Of course, Nintendo won't be letting one of its flagship properties just end, even on such a high note - we already knew that there was going to be a fifth generation of the series, and it looks like we may have an official announcement this weekend.

The listing for this week's upcoming episode of Pokemon Sunday on the TV Tokyo website [http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/program/detail/18687_201004110730.html] may be all in Japanese, but a quick run through Google Translate reveals this tidbit plain and simple, right at the beginning: "×× new Pokemon game is finally revealed!" There's some other stuff there that I'm fairly certain isn't related to the new Pokemon games (unless they star someone named Sandwich Man, but it's been a while since I took Japanese), but that's the important gist of it.

Of course, according to someone who actually speaks Japanese, the title of the listing mentions a "shock announcement" about the series. I may be a huge Pokemon fan, but I'm a bit skeptical here: What could possibly be shocking about the announcement of a new game in one of Nintendo's most lucrative franchises?

Will there be roughly a hundred new monsters to catch? Almost certainly. Will the new games somehow break from the standard formula that has served the series so well for fourteen years? Probably not. As of the Gen IV titles, the Pokemon gameplay has been all but perfected - I don't really know where they could go from here other than just give us more Pokemon (maybe introduce another elemental type, perhaps?) but I'm actually kind of okay with that.

It's a safe bet to assume that, "shock announcement" or no, this new Generation V Pokemon title will be on the 3DS. Every successive Pokemon generation has been on a new handheld platform, after all: Generation I (Red/Blue/Yellow) was on the Game Boy, Generation II (Gold/Silver/Crystal) was on the Game Boy Color, Generation III (Ruby/Sapphire/etc.) was on the Game Boy Advance, and Generation IV was the DS.

Actually, given the timing of their respective announcements, it's possible that the new Pokemon games could be launch titles for the 3DS - at least in Japan, anyway. Talk about your killer apps, huh?

We'll know more this Sunday. Until then, we can only speculate - but what would you like to see in the next Pokemon generation?

(Via NintendoEverything [http://www.nintendoeverything.com/36288/])

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Nothing can beat the first generation. But I would rather love a new Pokemon game...

**Cough [small]mmorpg[/small] Cough**

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
mikecoulter said:
Nothing can beat the first generation. But I would rather love a new Pokemon game...

**Cough [small]mmorpg[/small] Cough**
Both groups of GenIV games blow the first gen out of the water, IMO.

And yeah. But it'll never happen, sadly. Nintendo would never make a PC game.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
How about a battle screen that looks not terrible? Seriously, there's barely any difference from generation I to IV. How about some actual animation? Proper voices? 3D battles? Anything new? Ah, who am I kidding...

Antibody

Mar 27, 2009
The only shocking thing, for me, would be if they completely revamped the graphics. After all, the 3DS is rumored to have the power of a Gamecube, and a game like Pokemon Colosseum would have a lot of potential. But I doubt they would be that innovative.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
They are really populating the Poke'Mon Universe that much, eh? Much like repopulating the real world with new organisms I suppose. Kudos to the Graphic Artists! :D

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I hope it's not for the 3DS. I wanted to actually play the game.
I'm guessing a new add-on to the series could be better graphics and a 3D layout- DAMMIT!

Apr 28, 2008
I would like the next games' Wi-Fi settings to support WPA . Since I can't get Soulsilver to go Wi-Fi because my network doesn't use WEP.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Here's to hoping for a fully 3D PS3 or PC game...
What? A man can dream can't he?

Fenixius

Feb 5, 2007
John Funk said:
what would you like to see in the next Pokemon generation?
Real-time combat, for one. That would be good. Look at Custom Robo Arena for an awesome 3D battle system with ~4 attacks per character.

I can dream, can't I?

WolfMage

May 19, 2008
I wish they'd just combine all the games, making a supermassive single game, with every Pokemon, all the islands, and then some.
Fucking please.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fenixius said:
John Funk said:
what would you like to see in the next Pokemon generation?
Real-time combat, for one. That would be good. Look at Custom Robo Arena for an awesome 3D battle system with ~4 attacks per character.

I can dream, can't I?
I honestly don't want that. Part of what makes Pokemon *Pokemon* is its strategy. Making it in real-time would completely strip that.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
wonder if it will have something to do with the pokemon fan made mmo thing or finally be a pokemon game on something that isnt a handheld and isnt just battles

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
3D sprites? I would love to see that in the next games. The current 2D models are starting to seem a bit backwards.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Irridium said:
I would like the next games' Wi-Fi settings to support WPA . Since I can't get Soulsilver to go Wi-Fi because my network doesn't use WEP.
For the love of god this.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Well, they did just cancel that fan-made mmog. Maybe they don't want competition?

ZeLunarian

Mar 1, 2010
I would like to see a bit more than two cardboard cut outs headbutt each other for the battles :p
Flippin heck like. They were able to do it well for golden sun. I've been wishing this for a while now.~
Oh yeah; and a new type would be nice :)