Nintendo America Boss Bashes iPad

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo America Boss Bashes iPad

Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime has lashed out at Apple's iPad and iPhone, saying that they are not viable platforms for game development.

The whole world is talking about the iPad, even NOA boss Reggie Fils-Aime, but while most are singing the praises of the device, Fils-Aime has a very different take on things. He made it clear that Apple was not having an effect on Nintendo and that he didn't think the iPad and iPhone were viable platforms.

"I've seen data that suggestions [sic] that while consumers are constantly downloading Apps, they play with them for a few times and then they are moving on to the next thing," Fils-Aime said. "Clearly it doesn't look like their platform is a viable profit platform for game development because so many of the games are free versus paid downloads."

Fils-Aime also took a few potshots at the length of the games on Apple's platforms: "If our games represent a range between snacks of entertainment and full meals depending on the type of game, [Apple's] aren't even a mouthful, in terms of the gaming experience you get."

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178652]

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Got some balls to say that after making the Wii.

ZeLunarian

Mar 1, 2010
Well apparently facebook is enough to be considered a gaming platform by a LOT of people (*not one of them*)
So why not the iPad/pod?
R.U.S.E. Looks like a game that would be quite nice on the iPad... If only it had the specs~

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
The whole world is talking about the iPad, even NOA boss Reggie Fils-Aime, but while most are singing the praises of the device, Fils-Aime has a very different take on things. He made it clear that Apple was not having an effect on Nintendo and that he didn't think the iPad and iPhone were viable platforms.
It may just be me, but that sounds like an oddly specific denial, don't you think?

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
"I've seen data that suggestions [sic] that while consumers are constantly downloading Apps, they play with them for a few times and then they are moving on to the next thing,"
Not that I'm disagreeing, but isn't the exact same thing true for the Wii?

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Is it just me, or has Reggie been lashing out at everything lately? Did he get one too many Earthbound emails and snap or something?

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Is he trying to be the opposite of Peter Molyneux and bash everything but his own product to make his stuff look good?

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Gxas said:
Jiraiya72 said:
Heh, I was thinking the same thing.
NoA didn't make the Wii... They just say what gets shipped to America and what doesn't and pretty much tries to sell the products, from what I understand of it anyway..

"Clearly it doesn't look like their platform is a viable profit platform for game development..."

This however is pretty ballsy considering they keep allowing shit onto game shelves all the mean while they don't allow good games like Fatal Frame 4...

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
I say the iPad is a lot more useless than the Wii.

That're both pretty bad, though.

xavierxenon

Aug 10, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
Obivously you missed the part about "Clearly it doesn't look like their platform is a viable profit platform". Complain all you want about how bad the Wii is and whatnot but that still doesn't change how well its sold and will probably continue to do so.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Logan Westbrook said:
"I've seen data that suggestions [sic] that while consumers are constantly downloading Apps, they play with them for a few times and then they are moving on to the next thing,"
Not that I'm disagreeing, but isn't the exact same thing true for the Wii?
Garh, Ninja'd.

(More vicious sounds of repressed agony)

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
snowfox said:
Gxas said:
Jiraiya72 said:
NoA didn't make the Wii... They just say what gets shipped to America and what doesn't and pretty much tries to sell the products, from what I understand of it anyway..

"Clearly it doesn't look like their platform is a viable profit platform for game development..."

This however is pretty ballsy considering they keep allowing shit onto game shelves all the mean while they don't allow good games like Fatal Frame 4...
He isn't saying the Wii has better games, he's saying that it has a much better opportunity to make money selling games than the Apple products. Which is pretty much true, considering the massive popularity of the Wii.

Tyshalle

Apr 25, 2009
On the other hand, isn't Nintendo taking steps to move their portable platforms towards having similar functionality as the iPod? They keep adding more stuff, wi-fi, now I hear rumors of Netflix functionality. Seems to me they're doing that to combat -- at least in part -- the threat of the iPod Touch.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Gxas said:
Jiraiya72 said:
Pretty much sums up my thoughts. What will be funny now is when it overtakes the Wii, lol.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
And Wii sports with it, which is basically something to keep snacking on as they so put it.

OT: I agree to a point, but there's some big games on there that are larger adventures and what not. But that's a handful of games honestly and when you compare any of them to Pokemon or other titles on the DS ehhh... I'm...inclined to agree. Considering this is the Ipad a scaled up ipod touch is not only more annoying to lug around but just stupid when you compare it to the tiny device that is the itouch/iphone. Then again I've got a lot against the ipad because it's just an eyesore. That's just me being bias though.