Swiss Ban "Probably" Won't Affect Many Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Swiss Ban "Probably" Won't Affect Many Games

One of the politicians behind the recently-passed proposal to ban violent videogames in Switzerland says it's likely that only a few games would be prohibited, but hopes that in long run it will encourage developers to move away from the worst excesses of videogame violence.

Two resolutions seeking to restrict videogame sales in Switzerland were Evi Allemann [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99266-Switzerland-to-Ban-Violent-Videogames], who sponsored one of the laws, said the final result would likely result in only a handful of games actually being banned.

"The absolute prohibition should only apply to individual games," she said in an interview with 20 Minutes Online. She estimated that only about "a dozen" games would be affected, comparing the new Swiss laws to those already in place in Germany, where Mortal Kombat and Manhunt are banned but Counter-Strike isn't.

PEGI is insufficient to properly rate games, she claimed, because it's too closely linked to the videogame industry. "It takes an industry-independent federal agency, which sets age limits for certain games or [classifies] other games as harmless," she said.

A bit surprisingly, perhaps, she admitted that there's no actual proof of a link between videogaming and violent behavior, adding that as long as kids are in a "stable social environment," gaming is "usually not a problem." Nonetheless, she wants games that involve "cruel acts of violence" kept away from Swiss gamers and hopes that game developers, particularly those in the U.S., will eventually begin to focus on "other types of games" and move away from the worst of the violent content.

It's a bit of a tricky to follow (made a little easier by alternating between Yahoo [http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.20min.ch%2Fnews%2Fschweiz%2Fstory%2F19217414%23talkback&sl=auto&tl=en] translations) but in the end it seems to come down to Allemann telling everyone that there's nothing to worry about because the government has only the best of intentions. How about it, folks: Is that good enough for you?

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2010/04/05/swiss-game-ban-may-feature-only-little-censorship]

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Ya, but some of those games might be popular/good ones. Look at Left 4 Dead 2.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
This is probably not a problem.

Probably.

Famous last words. -grabs popcorn and waits for a repeat of Australia-

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
However limited in scope though it may be, it's still censorship and I still don't agree with it. People need to be free to make their own choices about what is "appropriate" for them to watch or play, and not be "shielded" from certain things just because the misguided government thinks that they should be. That's a dangerous road, down a very slippery slope.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
A small country trying to get game manufacturers to change the games they make for the whole world because they ban a few games, great thinking morons. And since Switzerland is so small with many other countries very near to it where the games aren't banned, how is this law even going to stop anything? Australia's censoring only works like it does because it's such a pain to get the banned games, when you can drive an hour and get the game you wanted regardless of the law preventing the purchase in your home country, what's going to stop you? The law doesn't ban them from being in the country, it just bans the sale of them.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I long for the day when people with perfectly functioning brains can choose what pieces of entertainment will be too distasteful for them.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
blue_guy said:
I don't see why any game already classed as 18+ needs to be banned anywhere.
Me neither. I'm guessing this is another case of "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!"

Andy Chalk said:
Nonetheless, she wants games that involve "cruel acts of violence" kept away from Swiss gamers
Because, you know, a consenting adult cannot handle violence. When will people understand gaming has turned into a hobby mostly practiced by adults and not children? When?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
When did it somehow become acceptable to do bad things as long as it only affects a minority?

That is blatant prejudice.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Dr. Paine said:
This is probably not a problem.

Probably.
I'm seeing a small discrepancy in- no, it's well within acceptable parameters.

I think we can safely say "Fuck the Swiss."

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
Why don't we ask Australia?
This along with Germany, yes it will affect a lot of games especially on the 360. It affects consumers because the Swiss won't be able to buy mature games, game developers because they will get less sales and overall the global image of the Swiss will be considered more immature due to their inability to understand labels on a box.

Maybe I am overreacting but I think game censorship is insane, stupid and plainly wrong

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
At least this person appears to be sane about it. I don't agree with the measure but at least she appears to understand violence from a morally offensive perspective and not a socially dangerous one. I can respect that.

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
Switzerland, Germany, Australia... They are all have lefties running the government right?

Green Ninja

Aug 10, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"The absolute prohibition should only apply to individual games," she said in an interview with 20 Minutes Online. She estimated that only about "a dozen" games would be affected, comparing the new Swiss laws to those already in place in Germany, where Mortal Kombat and Manhunt are banned but Counter-Strike isn't.

PEGI is insufficient to properly rate games, she claimed, because it's too closely linked to the videogame industry. "It takes an industry-independent federal agency, which sets age limits for certain games or [classifies] other games as harmless," she said.
Yes, that is how it works in Germany and it is a deeply flawed system because there is a limit on how "violent" a game with the highest rating can be, which is quite ridicolous if you think about it.

@Wicked Skin: Not quite. We have a left party and they're gaining ground but they're not in the government. Yet.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Kiefer13 said:
However limited in scope though it may be, it's still censorship and I still don't agree with it. People need to be free to make their own choices about what is "appropriate" for them to watch or play, and not be "shielded" from certain things just because the misguided government thinks that they should be. That's a dangerous road, down a very slippery slope.
Exactly. A small step maybe, and it might not even affect any of the games I would buy, but I'm inherently against censorship, because the lines are very fuzzy, and it's a very slippery slope. Adults should be able to choose what they want to play themselves, an 18+ rating is entirely sufficient, and no political spin will convince me otherwise.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
She seems somewhat reasonable, as she isn't actually blaming the games for anything. Still, it's one of those "wait and see" things. Will only a few games be banned? Or will this be Australia 2.0?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
oppp7 said:
Ya, but some of those games might be popular/good ones. Look at Left 4 Dead 2.
This is true! They are hoping to ban games people actually enjoy...yes, it may only effect a few but its still effecting peoples civil liberties!

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
AndyFromMonday said:
blue_guy said:
I don't see why any game already classed as 18+ needs to be banned anywhere.
Me neither. I'm guessing this is another case of "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!"?
Yeah, they're videogames, right? That means that they're for children! Think of the children?

Why don't you ban american football in schools? That's real life violence, encouraged by the media and by parents. Something like 17 children have died from football-related injuries since it was introduced. BAM.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Doesn't matter how you sugar coat it..the fact remains you're still censoring things which is totally retarded.