Apple Sells 300,000 iPads on Day One

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Apple Sells 300,000 iPads on Day One

This weekend, at least 300,000 people paid Steve Jobs hundreds of dollars to become a beta tester for the first iteration of Apple's highly-anticipated tablet.

In case you missed it, the iPad came out Saturday, April 3rd - to the delight of Mac devotees everywhere [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/7376-A-Boy-and-His-iPad]. Reviews were largely positive for the device, though there were dissenters - as is to be expected for a product like this. But how has the public received it?

Pretty well, according to the House of Jobs. Apple figures indicate that the portable touch-screen computer had shipped 300,000 copies by midnight on the 3rd. On that first day, those 300,000 users downloaded over 1 million apps and purchased 250,000 ebooks from the iBookstore. According to Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian, 30% of the roughly 3,300 day-one iPad Apps were games, as were four out of the ten top-grossing apps including Firemint's Real Racing HD, EA's Scrabble, and PopCap's Plants Vs. Zombies.

Seeing PvZ on there makes me happier than it should, really.

"It feels great to have the iPad launched into the world - it's going to be a game changer," said Apple Overlord, His Grand Eminent Excellency Steve Jobs. "iPad users, on average, downloaded more than three apps and close to one book within hours of unpacking their new iPad."

At first glance, I'll admit that 300,000 sounded kind of low to me - after all, I'm used to sales of videogames, where the big blockbusters can ship multiple millions in the first day alone. But, I then reasoned, games are quite a bit cheaper than iPads - how does this compare to the previous major Apple launch, the iPhone?

A brief look at Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_iphone] (which as we all know is never, ever wrong) says that analysts estimated that the iPhone sold between 250,000 and 700,000 units its first weekend, which is a pretty vague range. The only concrete number comes from service provider AT&T, which reported that 146,000 iPhones had been activated that first weekend, which does not include any units that had been purchased for resale or simply hadn't been activated right away.

However, it seems unlikely to think that half of all iPhones sold in the initial weekend were bought for the sole purpose of being resold on eBay - or were late being activated - so we can probably assume that iPhone didn't sell 300,000 units at launch. Which means that the iPad is currently on track to outpace the iPhone. Go figure.

(via GI.biz [http://www.edge-online.com/news/300000-ipads-sold-on-first-day])

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
The big thing with the comparison to the iPhone is that a lot of people who would have bought them on day one were still stuck in service agreements with their current cell phone providers and breaking the contract for a new phone with a different provider is a pretty hefty price. Because of that, the numbers are probably quite a bit lower than they could have been and makes for a hard comparison.

Still a pretty impressive number though I also am used to video games sales numbers which made that seem a little low with no frame of reference.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
$900 Ipad or $900 Alienware M11x netbook that can play crysis?

Umm I know what I'd rather get. Holding something in the air and groping it mindlessly is not my idea of fun. I also enjoy books made out of paper that can't be remotely disabled from my account or Ipad.

+1 for real books! Pry them from my cold dead hands.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Catkid906 said:
One of Which was Blended

Calumon: Money Party! ^^
The things that man can do with a blender...

Well, I'm not planning on buying an iPad, not until hell freezes over that is, but good luck to those who did.
May it bring them plenty of Apple-related joy.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It's a solid start. However if they can keep it solid is the real question. All well and good now but time will tell

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
hmmmm...

As much as thats good news for US buyers, I don't know if the rest of the world will receive it so well when it comes out in, say, Europe and whatnot, considering they haven't revealed the price or even the release date over here (in the UK, at least) yet, and it won't have the ebooks app...

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
If you have one of thee you're a mindless cow. In a couple of months we'll have literally dozens of better tablets on the market

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
leviticusd said:
The big thing with the comparison to the iPhone is that a lot of people who would have bought them on day one were still stuck in service agreements with their current cell phone providers and breaking the contract for a new phone with a different provider is a pretty hefty price. Because of that, the numbers are probably quite a bit lower than they could have been and makes for a hard comparison.

Still a pretty impressive number though I also am used to video games sales numbers which made that seem a little low with no frame of reference.
... Excuse me, but how in the hell could you use that thing as a phone?
Huh? I never did say that. I was referring to the fact that the author was comparing the iPad first day sales to that of the iPhone in attempt to get some frame of reference on if 300,000 is good or not. He was suprised that the registered iPhone users with AT&T was quite a bit less than people who bought the iPad, but I think the number of users of iPhone were limted by service contracts. If that wasn't an issue, I think there would have been a whole lot more than 300,000 iPhone users on day one.

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
Keep in mind that those 300,000 includes the number shipped to "Partners" - like Best Buy.

If you can walk into any authorized Apple retailer on Friday and buy one, it means that it isn't quite the "hot-selling" product that the media is trumping it up to be.

Personally, I have no need for one. My netbook is highly portable, I got an e-book for xmas, and can stream media from my desktop through my PS3 to a 50" HDTV. It fills no need for me. I like my iPhone - I hate carrying more then one device, and the phone solves that issue - my phone, mp3 and light email / browsing in one unit, and does all those tasks pretty well (at least as well as I need them to be).

The iPad doesn't offer any sort of convergence or replacement value for me.