EA Launches Free-to-Play Tiger Woods Online

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
EA Launches Free-to-Play Tiger Woods Online

EA just launched a new free-to-play online multiplayer game featuring the world's most popular golfer.

Tiger Woods has had more than his share of troubles lately. Just in case you haven't heard about them, he apparently wore black shoes with a brown belt and there was a big hubbub about it. Regardless, EA does not appear to be Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97440-Is-EA-Sports-Reconsidering-Tiger-Woods].

The game appears to be the latest part of EA's free-to-play strategy, which also inlcudes Battlefield Heroes and BattleForge. Tiger Woods Online is played through a web browser and can be enjoyed endlessly for the cost of a breath of air on featured courses. Subscription options are also available at $9.99 per month or $59.99 per year, which allow unlimited access to all courses. Golfers can be customized by purchasing items through the game's pro shop with in-game currency earned through play and bought with real simoleons. Subscribers will receive their own packages of points to spend in the pro shop.

Tiger Woods Online's beta has been running for nearly a year, but the official launch has brought two new courses with it, making a total of ten now available. Players can of course participate in tournaments and even customize their own. Online chat is also available so the game's golfers can use disgusting profanity to exclaim the anger they experienced with their last failed putt.

Free to play games have come a long way, now being associated with one of the biggest stars in the world despite his fashion faux-pas. I can still remember when they were but a selection of kart-racing games played chiefly in Korea and strangely stared at by most of us. Now EA, and many other companies, have gotten into the fray, and free-to-play is obviously a solid model for anything from MMORPGs to kart-racing to golf.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Tiger Woods Online, because women in real life no longer want him.

Calumon: That's not nice. I bet he's happy now! A bit...

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Ultimately, once again it's free-to-play up to a point, and I wouldn't be surprised if you have to splash the cash to get anywhere.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I would play it if it was the Tiger Woods game featured in South Park.
(Season 14, episode 1: Sexual Healing)

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
darthzew said:
I would play it if it was the Tiger Woods game featured in South Park.
(Season 14, episode 1: Sexual Healing)
This. Seriously EA, watch that episode! Its telling you how to make golf games fun!

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
YOu know what I would love? A golf game based of caddyshack. Would be one hell of a golf game.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Yey a genre I hate has released a game I will never play!

Woo hoo...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow...for free? Joy...

Well, I am sure for avid lovers of golf, this is something great and shinny! =D

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Release the South Park Tiger Woods game, and we'll talk EA. (imagine how much that piss Elin Woods off!)

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Hmm... Well, as long as people who pay cash don't get physical game play advantages then i would say that this game from a balance of free and premium would work.
But this is the same EA that managed to mess up BF hero's though

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Hasn't Tiger Woods been free to play for quite some time? Isn't that why he got in so much trouble?

BOOOOOM!

I'll be here all week.

OT: Still not as good as Hot Shots.

DoctorWhat

v11.1 beta2
Apr 10, 2009
Tiger: Free to play, just don't tell anybody.

I really don't see the appeal of golfing games... Perhaps I'm being a bit close-minded, but I don't see the point of sitting down, watching an avatar whose only animation is a swinging motion, and determining your skill at the game by means of extras and timing...

Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

pierre61

Aug 23, 2008
UK = "This country is not valid to play this game"

[Place-holder for witty retort which escapes me at the moment]

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
MrBacon said:
Tiger: Free to play, just don't tell anybody.

I really don't see the appeal of golfing games... Perhaps I'm being a bit close-minded, but I don't see the point of sitting down, watching an avatar whose only animation is a swinging motion, and determining your skill at the game by means of extras and timing...

Oh well, whatever floats your boat.
It's not really the timing that is hard. The timing is actually quite easy in this game. The biggest thing is reading the course and the wind and choosing how hard and in what direction to hit the ball. Its actually pretty damn competitive and the top players will score around 21 under on a course while my best to date is around a 16 under. I dunno how they do it but some people are just mad good at that damn game.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I hope its like the one in SOuth Park "YOU CHEATING BASTARD HOW MANY WOMAN DID YOU F*CK?!?!" that would be awesome

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
henritje said:
I hope its like the one in SOuth Park "YOU CHEATING BASTARD HOW MANY WOMAN DID YOU F*CK?!?!" that would be awesome
Pre-nup POWER UP!
"Oh no I lost another endorsement!"

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Delusibeta said:
Ultimately, once again it's free-to-play up to a point, and I wouldn't be surprised if you have to splash the cash to get anywhere.
True, but it lets people try the game for free, maybe play it casually, and if they like it and want to get into it they'll buy it. I actually like it, it makes sense as a business model and should be applied to more games.

Sh0ckFyre

Jun 27, 2009
If the media covers the hidden Hot Coffee-like mini game where you can sleep with all 10+ mistresses, let me be the first to say that I FUCKING CALLED IT.