Videogame Tax Proposed In Wisconsin

Prederick

Jun 7, 2004
Videogame Tax Proposed In Wisconsin

Wisconsin state senator Jon Erpenbach wants to place a 1 percent tax on videogame sales to pay for rehabilitation programs for 17-year-old non-violent offenders.

According to Erpenbach the bill's intention is not to dissuade gamers, but to keep 17-year-old non-violent offenders from being tried as adults in Wisconsin. Erpenbach believes that the revenues gained from placing a 1 percent tax on game sales would help cover the costs of moving them back into the juvenile system.

"The idea being that this is kind of a kids-kids thing, in other words, if we're going to do this for kids maybe this would be a good way to go about it. And if it's not the best way, I'm open to any other way," he said.

Wisconsin state records show that of the approximately 30,000 17-year-olds arrested each year, 98 percent are charged with minor offenses.

Lawmakers are unsure of how much money the tax would generate.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Eh, it's a VAT on a luxury item. And 1 percent is $0.50 on a $50 game. If it keeps kids out of a real prison, all the better.

I think too many people see the word "tax" and start jerking knees. For $6-12/year, it keeps non-violent kids (which probably means drug offenses and shoplifters) from carrying a record for the rest of their adult lives.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Good point, though I imagine it's one of the few things teenagers universally enjoy. I wouldn't shed a tear over a similar tax on PG-13 movies or bad music.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Maybe they're putting it on games, because 1% of the price of a game is more than 1% of the price of a CD? I imagine that the ever-widening demographic of videogames means that they'd get more money out of this, than other things that are related to 17-year-olds. O'course, I've got no sales figures or anything to back this statement up, but I imagine they'll be wanting to put the tax on the more profitable item. As for the idea itself, I don't see a problem with it.

Ydna

Nov 21, 2007
oh it's just a random item they want to use for the money source...it's got no connection at all. That type of thing doesn't seem to be uncommon...they need some cash for a fund, so they yoink it off the next easily-taxable thing out there, then manufacture some tard reason for it (ie, this situation).

darfjono

Jan 2, 2008
If they do something stupid enough to get a criminal record they deserve it. People should not have to pay for the lower denominator of society.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
darfjono said:
If they do something stupid enough to get a criminal record they deserve it. People should not have to pay for the lower denominator of society.
History would like a word with you [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Revolution].

Gansasalite

Jan 2, 2008
Joe said:
History would like a word with you [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Revolution].
Ha, nicely Done Joe.

If it helps Pay for their rehabilitation then No Problem with the tax. Tis only 1% anway.

Although i live in Aus so this doesn't effect me, just spouting my opinion.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Its only an increase of what......60 cents.

Like thats going to stop kids from buying a game.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Break said:
Maybe they're putting it on games, because 1% of the price of a game is more than 1% of the price of a CD? I imagine that the ever-widening demographic of videogames means that they'd get more money out of this, than other things that are related to 17-year-olds. O'course, I've got no sales figures or anything to back this statement up, but I imagine they'll be wanting to put the tax on the more profitable item. As for the idea itself, I don't see a problem with it.
Okay. Wait, they should put that 1% on the price of... the Playstation 3! 'cause 1% on that console is better than 1% on any video game (oddities aside), and it's proved that the PS3 makes people retarded and violent.
I like the association. That move is true genius. Time for some death trip [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHXGmzcvFcA&feature=related].
Geez.

I have another proposition: tax the parents of these children. This way, we're sure that more kids will get violented. Then turn into psychos and... no, forget that idea.