Stolen Pixels #184: Dead Faction

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #184: Dead Faction

You know what lowers morale? Stupidity, that's what.

Read Full Article

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
I know how you feel. Heck some arrived in a car and proceeded to ram me off the bridge with it.
Just before they got out and jumped off the bridge to follow me >.< .

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
lmao, gotta love stupid AI! =D

Damn programming, although, still the explosion was cool!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Sadly, they are actually effective in a gunfight. But annoying at all other times.

Anyway...there's an in-game cheat that keeps morale maxed permanently. You have to unlock it, though.

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
The ones when I play always run right in front of the vehicle I'm driving, thinking they can use it for cover.

Apr 28, 2008
I actually once snapped in that game.

"Oh, you want demoralizing? I'll give you demoralizing!"

And then I had to explain to the EDF that I had no idea what happened to the Red Faction hideout.

"Truck through the main building? You crazy."

Vilcus

Jun 29, 2009
My first playthrough was on Casual, then I got about a quarter way through on Normal before saying "I'm feeling masochistic." So I jacked it up to insane and experienced what I believe the developers intended me to. Frustration, and gratification.

When you play on casual it's all simple enough, have fun blowing everything up and watching things crumble. However on insane you are FORCED to use hit and run tactics. Simply put if you don't fight like a real Guerrilla you won't last for more than 10 seconds. However it is also insanely annoying because the allies on insane are still retarded and think that in front of your sledgehammer is a great place to hide. However I never pay attention to my allies anyways, because usually I stick around to blow up one building and then I get the fuck outta dodge because the EDF is merciless.

In the end I agree, the friendly AI is retarded, and to some extent so is the enemy AI (but there are so many of them that you never notice). However the friendlies being stupid is better than them doing all the work for you (in my opinion), because if they were competent then all you'd have to do is focus on taking down the buildings. Which is fun but if that was all you had to do there would be no challenge whatsoever.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
interesting how you didnt go 'thru' the route of least resistance, aka sledgehammer the guys face and move along

granted the comic wouldnt have been as funny hehe

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
It's odd, but the friendly AI in my game hasn't ever really done, well, any of those things - true, sometimes they decide to start the revolution when I wasn't actually planning on doing that, but I rarely get tagalongs during demolition work and they've never gotten in my way.

I suppose part of that might be how I tend to blow up buildings from the outside rather than going inside them - if it's marked red on the map, I don't even need to know what's in it, just that it has to come down. Plus those black hole bombs aren't nearly as potent as they should be from the description.

As for the demoralization, it's so laughably easy to raise it that I have to wonder why they even bother penalizing you when Faction members die - all it takes is a quick kill streak and you've got that morale right back.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
The bad guys in Red Faction aren't all that bad. Their goal is to destroy all game designers who make games that blame you for NPC fuck-ups.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Plus those black hole bombs aren't nearly as potent as they should be from the description.
If they were as potent as their name suggest, it would not only destroy the whole building, but also the planet and the game would be a lot shorter. :D

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
wildpeaks said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Plus those black hole bombs aren't nearly as potent as they should be from the description.
If they were as potent as their name suggest, it would not only destroy the whole building, but also the planet and the game would be a lot shorter. :D
Well sure, but have you ever played Armed and Dangerous? That game had a black hole bomb (in a convenient cardboard box container!) with some punch - you set one of those babies off and all the nearby objects, enemies, you name it would be sucked into a singularity. It was, needless to say, awesome. Plus the game had a land shark gun (it fires sharks that then swim under the surface of the terrain and rise up to swallow enemies whole).

The one in Red Faction Guerrilla was just underwhelming - the thermobaric rockets on the other hand...

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Who wouden't want to join the EDF? I mean, sure there evil, but at least they have there shit together.

dehawaiiansupaman

Jan 2, 2008
Totally agree. The AI in Red Faction pissed me the hell off. The only thing the friendly AI was good for was distracting the EDF when I blew up one too many buildings of theirs.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Life is too short for bad friendly AI. Of all the reasons I've ever snapped a disk in half, which is three times, bad friendly AI was the cause of two of them.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Irridium said:
I actually once snapped in that game.

"Oh, you want demoralizing? I'll give you demoralizing!"

And then I had to explain to the EDF that I had no idea what happened to the Red Faction hideout.

"Truck through the main building? You crazy."
I endorse that plan.

But it should be noted that AI should always remain stupid. Doomsday Arcade, Terminator, the Matrix all point to what happens when AI wises up.