No Star Trek Online for Consoles

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No Star Trek Online for Consoles

Cryptic Studios has revealed that Star Trek Online [http://www.startrekonline.com/] won't be coming to consoles after all.

VideoGamer.com [http://crypticstudios.com/] that the game is "pretty much in the same boat as the Champions [Online] console version right now."

"It's something we can readily do in terms of technology," he said. "We've had it up and running on certain consoles, and had plans and designs in order to take advantage of those platforms. But as it stands right now it's a little difficult to make that final leap on the business side of things. So, currently, just like Champions, the console version of Star Trek Online is on the back burner."

Like STO, shelved [http://www.champions-online.com/] so it could focus on "making the current PC product the best it can be."

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Considering how the PC version is now... I tried to like it. I thought, wow an open world bridge commander! How could they screw that up!

Sorry guys. I didn't mean to say that, I jinxed us all :(

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Maybe its for the best considering all the bad things I've been hearing about the PC version of it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
From what I've heard of a lot of other people it appears to be pretty crap.

Plus, I'm not to big on MMO's anyway.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Aw crap. I was really looking forward to blasting 8 year olds with phasers over Xbox Live...Alas, it cannot be...Yet, anyway.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
From what I've heard of a lot of other people it appears to be pretty crap.

Plus, I'm not to big on MMO's anyway.
I know what you mean, but i'd still just like to go out and explore, with a starship, on my xbox as I sadly don't have a good enough computer to even consider getting it for pc.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I actually bought this game. I regretted it a few hours later. I'm glad it's not coming to consoles.

Top tip: If you like the idea of being a Star trek ship captain and shooting the hell out of things in space, then find a copy of Star Trek: Bridge Commander.

Demon ID said:
I know what you mean, but i'd still just like to go out and explore, with a starship, on my xbox as I sadly don't have a good enough computer to even consider getting it for pc.
If you want to go out and explore in a Starship DON'T get STO. There is no real exploration or adventure in it. You just go to one place, shoot some ships, beam down, shoot some bad guys, beam up, go to another planet, rinse and repeat.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Dosnt surprise me. I thik MMO's are vest suited to stay in PC anyway, as at least then you dont need to dlea with limitations

scudd

Apr 7, 2010
I just couldnt get into Star Trek Online, i play Eve-Online but i wasnt expecting the same game from this. I felt a little let down with every aspect of the game especially the ship combabt, it just doesnt convey the feel of the show, i would prefer if the ships werent so 'nimble' and instead were slow, phaser flapping hulks that they were in the good old star trek days, i want to feel in command of a ship, not a gnome in space.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Is anyone really bothered about console MMOs? The console gamers that like MMOs also own a PC so do their MMOing on there, hence are also not bothered about them. This game would have bombed on the 360.

The closest I've ever got is having dependency issues with Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast. Back then you bought the game and then could play as much as you wanted. Much as I enjoyed it, I've never played it since as every post DC version of PSO has demanded a subscription for online play. I'm not willing to pay the subscription.

Second time I've written that as I couldn't connect to the escapist last time I hit "post" and lost my text. Grrrrrrrrrrr...

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
On the surface, I can hardly understand how to run an MMO on a console when the same game is shared across the PC platform due to the amount of updates often required through the PC side of things. Patches and updates will all but consume the standard hard drive for a console, and I for would be rather dissuaded to play the game on my console if I didn't even have enough memory left to save my game!
I haven't tried STO... the concept seemed alright, but apparently the execution of the idea is where it fell on its face. It's sad really with the fanbase that Star Trek has. Avoiding the follies of being involved on a console seems like a good move, regardless of how unpopular the game truly is.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I skipped STO, but if Champions came out for the PS3 I would probably pick up a copy and play it again on that. Microsoft and Sony are shooting themselves in the foot if they are not throwing out the red carpet for MMOs on consoles.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
I think a Microsoft run MMO would work on the 360

-Live subscription can act as the monthly fee
-Ship a keyboard attachment with every copy for typing and hotkeys

Bingo.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Console gamers rejoice, you wont get offered the cash drain full priced item shop supported MMO with a sub, and a sub quality MMO to boot.
I would honestly pay a sub for ROSE online if there was a EU server and the original devs to provide content updates, rather than STO.

... well STO does have the distinction of being the only MMO I ever beta tested that I didnt go out and buy a copy at launch, and I tested pretty much all the MMO's lately (WAR, LotRO, Aion, AoC).

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
cryptic studios sucks with their Subs + microtransaction BS, and they can't make a game thats interesting beyond the early levels anyway.

T-004

Mar 26, 2008
I was planning on building a rig to handle STO.
But if its not that good then I wont bother. However if a 360 version came out I probably would if the price was right.

jarowdowsky

Sep 6, 2008
Honestly, whilst I'm in no rush to invest time in a console MMO when I could be obsessively restarting my first ball on high-score Pinball FX2 runs, I really don't understand the business model argument.

How does it make better sense to go for an over-saturated PC market, filled with computers with wildly different performance and one massive, successful competitor rather than target an audience where you have almost no competition, a stable platform who have their credit card details already uploaded?

I don't think there's really any hope of a PC MMO unseating WoW - but I think you could easily move into the market on xbox. Love to see a returns breakdown for DC Universe on PS3 compared to PC. I have only the drunken courage of a bottle of Grand Marnier to base this view on, but I reckon, even with the PS3 outage things stack up pretty well.