Microsoft Accidentally Unveils Gears of War 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Accidentally Unveils Gears of War 3

Thanks to Epic Games [http://www.microsoft.com] Design Director Cliff Bleszinski, the world now knows, or is at least pretty sure, that Gears of War 3 is coming in April of next year.

CliffyB was Xbox Live [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99661-Cliffy-B-Wont-Bring-a-Weapon-to-Announce-New-Game] didn't get the memo because in spite of the change in plans, an ad for the game appeared on the Xbox 360 dashboard last night.

"Gears of War 3 announced," the ad incorrectly advised gamers. "The epic story concludes April 2011." That part may be true and, specifics of the release date notwithstanding, it's hardly an Earth-shattering surprise, but it's still kind of a kick in Epic's junk. CliffyB can tell us about the game and maybe show us a little bit of what's in store, but at this point, unless he surprises us with something completely unexpected - a new Jazz Jackrabbit [http://www.jazz2online.com/], maybe - it's bound to be a bit of an anti-climax.

Rough break, Cliff. Keep this in mind the next time that Bieber kid gets in your face.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5513222/]

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Oh no, a sequel everyone knew was going to happen is happening, its the end of the world!

Really, who didnt see this coming?

I dont even care, the series is pretty meh to be honest.

Edit: Seeing how someone is trying to troll me over this comment im pointing out it is obvious because of the fact that they left it on a cliffhanger and are going to resolve it, and I feel that the series is average, its just another super violent cover based shooter.

Also, does it matter who announces it really? If Microsoft has a release date its already being made, Microsoft just beat them to it.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Looking forward to it. Gears has always been pretty weak in the story department, but the second one made it a bit more interesting, and the multiplayer is the only competitive game I've really gotten into playing online. Hopefully, though, they'll make it a bit harder to chainsaw and lower the melee's power by a lot.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Wow, I'm surprised someone remembers Jazz...
OT: We knew GoW 3 was coming, so it's not that bad.

Samnite

Sep 21, 2009
Yeah, but CliffyB (As I'm required by Escapist Law to call him) has got to be pretty pissed that his thunder was stolen by the Xbox Live dashboard...

JWW

Jan 6, 2010
"Accidentally"? By the laws of the Internet, I label his mistake a "fail".

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Well, some body is getting fired for this.

Meh, stuff like that happens, but Gears 3 is coming out possibly next year! Awesome!

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
...to the surprise of no-one. I mean christ I'm already expecting at least GoW 4 personally.

pntaylor

Reticulating Splines
Mar 16, 2010
Cool, nice to have a date now for the release but CliffyB's thunder was most certainly stolen. Still, will now look forward for a teaser trailer that will inevitability appear Monday or soon after.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
A new Jazz Jackrabbit?! That'd be AWESOOOOME!!! Do keep it 2D though, don't go the Sonic route.

Oh...yeah, Gears of War 3. Not really a surprise now is there? Shame I can't play it though, as my 360 died. Well, not that I'll really miss out gameplay-wise. Gears of War was pretty nice the first 2 games, but I had my fill of the gameplay. Like with Halo.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Unless you release 2 and 3 for PC, I don't want to hear it...

Calumon: Meanies. Jack liked the first one...

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I don't get why CliffyB would call an announcement of Gears 3 "mind-blowing" and "awesome". I mean, everybody expected that.

Catkid906 said:

And this. Also i saw that Calumon wasn't in the post initially! A bit late to the party, huh, you little fuzzball?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Cliffy: "The truth of the matter is that we wanted to take a couple more days to polish what we're showing."

Bullshit, nobody plans an appearance like that and then pulls at the last minute for "polish"

Look, just tell the truth or simply say "it's a secret" or at the very least tell a more plausible lie like: "something came up and we HAD to postpone"

Postponing for anal things like "polish" just sound so disingenuous and if it is true then it REALLY shakes my confidence in him and his product as he has so little confidence in it that he pulls his big unveiling at the last minute.

ad4m101

Jan 17, 2010
Yeh damn right new jazz jack rabbit. =] just this day I found that game in my pile-O-Crap i might try play it although doubt it'd run on windows 7.

Gears is a bit Meh. to me but whatever I enjoyed the multi-player for a bit with friends. Terrible matchmaking tough but either way ill probably buy it. Wonder if some one got fired =]

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Kollega said:
Catkid906 said:

And this. Also i saw that Calumon wasn't in the post initially! A bit late to the party, huh, you little fuzzball?
Calumon: Hey! I need food too y'know!

[sub]Sheesh, don't have to even tell me... Evidence is in the fridge[/sub]