Question of the Day, April 10, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, April 10, 2010

If you have the option between turn-based combat in an RPG or real-time, which do you prefer? (Be sure to tell us why, too!)

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
No preferences, I'm a fan of either.

I can adapt to just about any style of play, so I'm not hindered by real time nor turn-based combat.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I'm not an ultra-super-duper-hardcore RPG fan, so i prefer real-time combat.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I haven't played a Turn-based RPG in ages, so I suppose I prefer real-time.
It also means I can at least attempt to doge enemy attacks...

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
I like my RPGs with some great turn based combat. Doesn't need to fit the same old formula, but it is where I like my combat grounded.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Real-Time.
I can't play Fallout for that very reason; I just get fed up with turn based. Also, in games like Neverwinter Nights, I find combat takes a while to resolve itself and it just bores me.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I like 'em both. But not REALLY SLOW turn based, like Lost Odyssey. Everything about that game was great. Except the combat.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Turn based for definite. After seeing and playing the mess that was FFXII,for example, i will never play any realtime RPG's again. I mean setting up a gambit system where you can put the controller down and let the game play itself?

I'll take a bit more strategy and involvement thankyou.

adrakonis

Feb 27, 2010
I wan't something in between...
Something like KOTOR, or Dragon Age, where you can pause time itself.
True realtime in RPG's is possible, but sometimes takes away the tactics from an RPG or at least, my willingness to have any idea what I'm going to do when I enter a battlefield.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
I sort of prefer both, but it depends on the game as to which is better. Final Fantasy games have always been turn-based for me, so I prefer similar games to use turn based battles too. You can put a bit more thought in to your strategy rather than just pummelling your enemy with as many attacks as possible. But as Yahtzee said in his FFXIII review, it's not very 'realistic' for enemies to wait politely as you kick them in the bollocks before returning the favour.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Hazy said:
No preferences, I'm a fan of either.

I can adapt to just about any style of play, so I'm not hindered by real time nor turn-based combat.
I'd say same here, but because of the complete shitload of strategy games I'm playing (I'm currently going through all Fire Emblems and some other ones) I'm used to and enjoying the turn based combat.

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
I prefer real time, but i will happily do turn based as long as it doesn't destroy the flow of the game. I found that KOTOR did a great job at keeping things moving.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Turn based is good in Pokemon and real time in everything else. Don't have much of a preference.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Both are good for me. I like Fallout 3, I love Persona games, and...

...What are the real-time RPGs? Seriously I can't think of any example, except for the hack'n'slash genre which is incorrectly called "action RPG".

Cake-Pie

Jun 30, 2006
I like them both, but as long as they're well-done.

Eternal Sonata mixes the two. It's like ordering soft-serve and getting a vanilla chocolate MIX.