Shadowrun Forums Closing Down

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Shadowrun Forums Closing Down

An announcement on Shadowrun [http://www.teamxbox.com]forums are being closed down.

In a statement announcing the closure, Kimona, lead program manager at FASA, also said that despite the forum shutdown, the franchise would see new releases in the future. Shadowrun met with largely negative response when it was released in May 2007, and developer FASA Studio [http://fasastudio.com/games/]was shut down by Microsoft in September.

The full statement, posted www.shadowrun.com [http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15387/More-Shadowrun-Games-Planned/] and transition it to the folks working on the next generation of Shadowrun products."

On December 7, it was revealed that FASA founder Jordan Weisman had established a new company known as message [http://www.smithandtinker.com]on the company's website reads, "We're not quite ready to announce our plans for each property, but please be assured that our goal is to surprise and delight old fans, while welcoming new fans to these fantastic worlds."

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Finally, a company that knows when to shoot the pained horse. Something tells me there were hours upon hours of talking about it though...because the obvious isn't easy.

rawlight

Sep 11, 2007
Burn it, Burn it with fire! Now all that is left is to delete all reference to the game having ever existed.

CarlosYenrac

Nov 20, 2007
That'll teach them for not releasing the RPG we all really wanted..... :)

By the way, i'm still really upset about the lie at the end of the SNES version that said 'Jake Armitage will be back in Shadowrun 2'

Sami2503

Jun 28, 2009
I know the game wasn't like shadowrun at all - but idc, if you got past the name of the game - its one of the best if the best FPS games ever on Xbox.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Shadowrun wasn't really any good unless you learned to tweek the rules and overall universe in a funny way. Because people stuck to the rules as rigidly as factory steel, nobody ever considered the creative edge and so it stagnated. Forum-goers for Shadowrun were especially guilty of this: Thoughtless idiots who never liked to step outside their tiny shallow little box and have a REAL adventure. To reiterate, the only people capable of having any real fun with Shadowrun were those who didn't take it so blindingly serious.

Because, you see, the potential was always there to have fun. A weird fantasy amidst a modern world where even the face of humanity has changed. But no one would just go for it. Not the players and not FASA, because they were idiots. It took them a good number of years to get their system updated and streamlined (4th Edition), and look what happens? As Yahtzee would say, "Fans are clingy, complaining dipshits who will never EVER be grateful for any concession you make.", and he's right. According to friends of mine, the fourth edition vastly improved a number of things, but this article seems to indicate that (like a buncha' dipshits) nobody liked it. Go figure.

The only thing that really came out of Shadowrun worth its salt WERE those video games. Probably because you didn't have to contend with morons, but also because it was a video game that told a fucking story. Okay, maybe some of the books written were alright for the same reason, but the point I'm trying to make is that FASA itself never had anything real that put you in the middle of things. It was sort of for looting, by their standards, and DnD was better at it. It's only until a bunch of wild and crazy people start making hijinx that it's fun.

Mind you, I kind of like using their creature sourcebooks for OTHER RPs. And if they don't like it, they can go suck it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well I liked the Shadowrun PnP RPG property, granted the mechanics always needed some work evenw hen they refined them, but it was still pretty cool up until the last edition where they really started to mess up the technology aspects (which I won't go into, but it's a conceptual thing, not a mechanics thing. Some might know exactly what I'm referring to however).

That said the Shadowrun FPS was a bad, bad, bad idea. Truthfully they should have created an RPG (as others have said). Also games like Fallout 3 sort of show what they could do with the liscence if they set it in an urban enviroment instead of a wasteland and did more with NPCS and AI companions.

Heck, it also seems like material ripe for a Sandbox action game. Add a magic system to Saint's Row, drop the gang-banger protaganist motif, put in some enhanced customization for spells, cyberware, and other things, and you could do a decent game that way as well. Hiring runners for backup instead of calling "homies" could work very well.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
1.5 year bump. I think that's a record.

I miss that game. I did not played the RPGs, but I really loved this shooter.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
JakubK666 said:
All five active members will be devastated...
They bought the game to begin with. They're probably used to disappointment.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
They have rights to Crimson Skies!?! Anyone see a connection to my Avatar and Nathan Zachary?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
All the former Fasa IPs have been a downward spiral since Microsoft first got in bed with them just after the Harmony Gold lawsuit crippled the company financially. Microsoft's interest was only on the video game end, and they fucked over the table-top/rpg markets to make all the things MS did canon.
So, wait. If I concluded that the games were alright and the RPG itself (not to mention the people using it) was all crap, then that means...Microsoft did something right? Whoa...

'Cause, check this out. Creating an interactive world of some kind where you don't have to meddle with tedious sourcebooks and both company and player bullshit, a world with its own interpretation of how things should be, was technically what I was getting at. Having a video game that takes things in a more linear fashion that hops over the no-fun-ville hurdles is a good thing. You have missions, there's a real plotline, it leads up to some sort of climax, and BOOM! You've set yourself up as some sort of legend.

I guess I owe Microsoft an apology. They seem to have stopped FASA from continuing to suck themselves up their own ass.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Flap Jack452 said:
HardRockSamurai said:
I had no idea Shadowrun even had forums..........or fans..........
I liked it, and was pretty good at it too. No one ever played though.
I heard that it had quite a bit of depth, but it never really caught on. It's a shame when that happens really.