Super Street Fighter IV Won't Ever Become Hyper or Ultra

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Super Street Fighter IV Won't Ever Become Hyper or Ultra

Capcom won't be milking the Street Fighter IV [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71574] franchise any further.

Were you worried that Capcom would eventually be turning Street Fighter IV into Ultra Hyper Super Street Fighter IV Turbo: Platinum Champions - Akuma Friends Edition after the release of Super Street Figher IV at the end of April? It's not going to happen, says producer Yoshinori Ono.

Speaking to OXM (via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=242233]), Ono said: "I have no intention of carrying on Street Fighter IV into Hyper Street Fighter IV or Ultra Street Fighter IV, because I'm aware of the mistakes Capcom has made in the past." For reference, after the release of Street Fighter II in 1991, Capcom went on to release a Champion Edition, Hyper Edition, Super Street Fighter II which introduced new characters, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, and Hyper Street Fighter II amongst other versions across various platforms arcade, handheld, and console. It was a little much, but most versions did add notable improvements in Capcom's defense.

Street Fighter IV came out in February 2009, and a little over a year later we'll see a new retail version in the $40 Super Street Fighter IV that will also add a bunch of features [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98464-New-Super-SF4-Trailer-Debuts-SF3s-Dudley-Ibuki-Makoto]. Ono admits that Capcom plans to do more with the Street Fighter franchise, but that "in terms of Street Fighter IV, this is definitive... Super Street Fighter IV should be the distinctive end."

DLC is always still a possibility for the future of Super Street Fighter IV to tune the game's balance, but Ono believes "as a packaged product ... this is the last." I think I'm a little disappointed, because I was looking forward to seeing the creative naming conventions that Capcom may have come up with. May they live on through DLC.

(Via: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=242233])

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
In other news... Nintendo has already announced plans for another new DS, the 3DSi XL!

Calumon: Got Milk? ; )

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
You sure this is true? I mean this is like, I dunno, if you stopped milking a cow that lactated money and gold bricks.

StreetFighter's just too much of a popular series not to milk.

xDHxD148L0

The Dissapointed Gamer
Apr 16, 2009
I hope they don't come out with more, cause I'll probably end up buying them lol.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
If Capcom doesn't change its mind on this, then this is great news.

Then again, they probably will come up with a bunch of DLC to compensate for not releasing a bunch of updated versions, which would suck for people like me who can't get Live. Damnit.

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
Please go back to 2D sprites. The latest King of Fighters looked amazing, although I'm not enough of a fan to actually buy a KOF game. SFIV looks... wrong, to me.

ribonuge

Dec 7, 2009
-Zen- said:
If Capcom doesn't change its mind on this, then this is great news.

Then again, they probably will come up with a bunch of DLC to compensate for not releasing a bunch of updated versions, which would suck for people like me who can't get Live. Damnit.
Just a second though, Yoshinoro Ono said in an interview when asked about an arcade release of SSFIV that:
For me personally, Street Fighter is an arcade game. It always has been. I'd love to do an arcade version, but the company is focusing more on console games right now, so [an arcade version of Super] didn't really pan out. That said, if there are people out there that want to see an arcade version, by all means, be vocal about it and let us know.
Then he went on to announce the arcade release a little less than three weeks later. I wouldn't quite know what to expect to be honest. Either way I don't really mind, as long as they make a new Darkstalkers.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
No, there'll just be Tournament Edition, Super Street Fighter IV Fourth Strike, I could go all day, people.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
TheGreenManalishi said:
Please go back to 2D sprites. The latest King of Fighters looked amazing, although I'm not enough of a fan to actually buy a KOF game. SFIV looks... wrong, to me.
Personally it's the character design that's never "meshed" with me. It's a little too goofball-over-the-top for my tastes, after SF III's more down-to-earth designs.

More on-topic: I'm rather saddened by this news. I was holding out for Mega Superfast Street Fighter IV: Deluxe Platinum Volleyball Soulsilver Wings of Corruption Legacy Forever edition.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
The game should be called Super Shoto Fighter 4: Sagat Strike.

TheGreenManalishi said:
But if they use sprites then how could we get Chun Li to use Guile's moves!?!

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Hopefully this means that the next Street Fighter won't have some wonky variable input lag and will actually have some gameplay that doesn't suck.

That's my dream at least.

case_orange

Mar 24, 2010
At this point they've beaten the dead horse out of existence; I'm glad that they finally realize it, too.

Hopefully now they can come up with more kitchy, overdone fighting games instead. I look forward to the day when I can play Hyper Darkstalkers 7 with the MK4 and DC Comics crossover.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
TheGreenManalishi said:
Personally it's the character design that's never "meshed" with me. It's a little too goofball-over-the-top for my tastes, after SF III's more down-to-earth designs.
Wait, what? Are we talking about the same SF3 here? The biggest issue people usually have with that game that it is a huge freakshow (Q, Necro, Oro, Twelve...) as opposed to recognizable and identifiable national stereotypes like the previous games except EX. EX doesn't count, though, since that series deserves to be forgotten.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
well now they learned that but now they ended up giving their disease to nintendo (jesus a DSiXL seriously nintendo make the 3DS I rather play that)

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Woe Is You said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
TheGreenManalishi said:
Wait, what? Are we talking about the same SF3 here? The biggest issue people usually have with that game that it is a huge freakshow (Q, Necro, Oro, Twelve...) as opposed to recognizable and identifiable national stereotypes like the previous games except EX. EX doesn't count, though, since that series deserves to be forgotten.
I probably should've stated that I meant the more "normal" characters' designs. Especially Ryu. He looked a lot older and more road-weary.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Aha, finally allowing a franchise to end peacefully without the constant corperate milking. COUGH@Nintendo.

Capcom hash raized it's bonus pointz with moi. Up +14
Lets hope they will stick to the guns and not actually release anything more.

For once, dont need to worry about what awesome nouns are added to the front of the game lol