South Korea Will Block Gaming After Midnight

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
South Korea Will Block Gaming After Midnight

South Korea is moving to battle online gaming addiction by forcing underage gamers off the internet.

A new policy announced by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism will literally force underage gamers off the internet once midnight rolls around. It is part of a twofold initiative to fight teen gaming addiction. Popular MMOGs like Maple Story and Barameui Nara will all have this system implemented by the second half of the year, and the program is intended to eventually encompass the 19 MMOGs that make up 79 percent of the Korean online gaming consumption.

In addition, the system will also force a reduced, slower performance when it detects underage gamers have been playing for too long. Using the registration, the game will be able to differentiate between underage and above-age players, but there are also plans for ways to stop underage gamers from using their parents' resident registration numbers to keep gaming, though no details on that plan have been released.

The pressure for action has been stepped up recently due to a number of reports of gamers dying of exhaustion after playing for too long, as well as the shocking story of a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98884-Gaming-Addiction-Leads-to-Death-of-3-Month-Old-Korean-Girl>three-month old girl dying due to starvation and neglect. While critics feel the measures may not be enough to simply prevent underage gamers from simply bypassing them, there is still a push within the country for strong measures to help prevent these problems.

Source: <a href=http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20100412000752>The Korean Herald via <a href=http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/54215/Midnight-Ban-For-Online-Gamers-In-Korea>Voodoo Extreme

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Starcraft 2 is approaching release, and South Korea is introducing internet & gaming restrictions. Connection?

I recall the Chinese implementing a similar system.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Iwouldn't call it reasonable, but this may or may not help the problem. I wonder how bad the problem in SK really is and how much of it is publicity. These stories have obviously been sensationalized, but there is an issue if they keep occuring.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Delusibeta said:
Starcraft 2 is approaching release, and South Korea is introducing internet & gaming restrictions. Connection?

I recall the Chinese implementing a similar system.
I think that's just a coincidence as the legislation had to go through the government first. It's still very strange, though.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Well, this is going to have some...interesting side effects on South Korea's gameing population.

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
this is a problem where there can be no solution that is liked by the majority. stop them using the internet and get called a dictator, let them continue and be called a prick for letting people kill themselves this way.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
oh underage gamers
this title is misleading
but yeah, thats bad, but still, if you are dying, maybe GROTHZOG_LOLLZ can live 5 minutes without killing a demon of draenor while you make yourself a sandwich, yeah?

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
I find ironic when the goc tries so hard to step in and seems the parents don't give a flying about it.

GotMurf

Nov 5, 2009
Though this may seem a decent solution to SK's gamer problem, there's always a chance that this successful move will be followed up by another policy, possibly a limitation on adult gamers. It's a sad state of affairs when a governing body can start restricting what you can do for fun (providing its legal), but we'll see where this goes. Could be good or bad news.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I can see thousands of Koreans committing suicide if their internet connection was cut off like this.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
That title is inflammatory (I thought you meant the entire country would ban the entirety of gaming)

OT: Makes sense, and it's a good way of dealing with the really intense obsession with gaming, particularly with RPGS and particularly where it's strongest, which is the Far East

WHY is it that they have such obsessive gamers in Korea/Japan? Don't tell me "it's the same amount as other countries but they're more noticable/vocal", because that's not true, it can't be!

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Hmmmmmmm...

Sound bad at first, but this move does actually make sense... I wander if it will be at all effective?

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I wonder if the country's economy will show signs of decelleration once the South Koreans have bought StarCraft 2 :U
I must admit, I've always felt that their passion for these MMO's was always a bit...over the top