Dreamworks Launches Kid-Addicting Kung Fu Panda World

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Dreamworks Launches Kid-Addicting Kung Fu Panda World

The kids MMOG genre is becoming serious business, with Dreamworks launching a new multi-million dollar online game starring Kung Fu Panda [http://www.amazon.com/Kung-Panda-Widescreen-Jack-Black/dp/B001ECQ75A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1278535854&sr=1-1].

Dreamworks officially launched NeoPets [http://www.kungfupandaworld.com]. It's based on the movie of the same name, minus the "World," which was released in June 2008.

When I first heard of Kung Fu Panda World, I thought it would be a simple browser game with mini-games to play and afros to buy for my character. The surprising thing about it is that Kung Fu Panda World is a 2.5 year project that cost over $10 million to develop, so it may have more depth than would first be expected. It operates by a free-to-play model if you watch an advertisement, so I'd give it a try if I could, but the world of Kung Fu Panda is too popular at this time for me to even log in. A $5.95 per month subscription plan is also available.

With a Kung Fu Panda sequel due next year, Dreamworks wanted to give consumers a way to simulate the journey of Po, the movie's main character. Players will pick a fighting style, customize their characters' looks, and play games to unlock abilities, items, and more games. Coins can be earned that are used to purchase items such as scrolls and clothing, and the goal of the game is to rise to the top of the sash rank, like the rise to black belt in martial arts.

Dreamworks plans to add more games and locations in the future, and may let kids vote on what kinds are incorporated into the game. Kid-friendliness was key in the development of Kung Fu Panda World, with an easy interface designed specifically for kids, a design philosophy that teaches kids how to quest, and parental controls that ideally will stop children from seeing the words f*ck, sh*t, and terms such as m*therf*****g sh*rtf*ce b*lls. Parents can also play and earn in-game items for their offspring.

Dreamworks isn't stopping here, as the company has a How to Train Your Dragon MMOG in the works as well. Companies are finding more and more ways to squeeze money out of kids these days. Whatever happened to going outside and playing a nice free game of Ring Around the Rosie?

Source: NyTimes [http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/04/12/arts/entertainment-us-panda.html]

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I prefer online games to a song about the black death, Mr. Goldman!

OT: Huh, I'm surprised they sank so much money into this project. I wonder if it will yield any success. Hell, I may check it out one day.

... But I probably wont.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Shit...The movies 2 years old already...

Well, to my surprise the movie game from back then wasn't total shit. Try the demo if you have kids and want to get them an age appropriate game that doesn't have a Z instead of an S.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Shit...The movies 2 years old already...

Well, to my surprise the movie game from back then wasn't total shit.
In the words of joe wilson, YOU LIE! Ok i've never played it, but I have played many movie games and its tainted my soul somewhat and i've decided they should all be avoided like the plague.

OT: Only a small idiotic part of my brain wants to play that game. I shall dumb it down with alcohol.

I think I could make a much better selling product with $10 million. I'd simply give a bunch of the cool kids in various schools to play with and say how the 'SUPER COOL NEW (errrrr looks at a username) ONYX OBLIVION toys' are the best thing ever, and if you don't have one your parents don't love you. Two weeks later you make a tv show about Onyx Oblivion and Bam, I have made a literal fuckton of money.

I really feel the corporate world is missing an important voice in me.

Retodon8

Jun 25, 2008
When I visit my sister, sometimes I play Kung Fu Panda on the Xbox 360.
As a matter of fact, I played a couple of chapters mere hours ago.
The film was a fun watch, the game is OK, but judging by how it was fleshed out or by considering just the film, I really don't know how they think they can make a whole MMORPG out of it.
It's for children, so I guess they're not as needy, but still.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I would play a How to Train Your Dragon MMOG. Absolutely no doubt about it. But I really doubt it can take down NeoPets... that game taught me how to code in HTML.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
...and parental controls that ideally will stop children from seeing the words f*ck, sh*t, and terms such as m*therf*****g sh*rtf*ce b*lls.
Was it really necessary to give examples?!

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Aurora219 said:
Tom Goldman said:
...and parental controls that ideally will stop children from seeing the words f*ck, sh*t, and terms such as m*therf*****g sh*rtf*ce b*lls.
Was it really necessary to give examples?!
Of course it is, otherwise we wouldn't have any clue what words he was talking about. Nobody ever uses those words on the internet, so clarification is sorely needed.

In other news tonight, it would be hilarious if this is what poses a threat to WoW.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Kalezian said:
Tom Goldman said:
wait, why did they block Shirtface? that.....just makes no sense........
Not sure. Ask the Escapist censors.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Tom, Ring Around the Rosie has never been a nice game. Unless you intended that for comedic purposes, in which case it's more of a non sequitur. I mean, c'mon, it references the Black Plague out of all things.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Of all the things to turn into an MMO, how do you fit a Jack Black film about him failing his way to becoming the chosen one get it? Is there really enough of a universe to get a MMO out of, or am I missing something?