Stolen Pixels #185: Bayonetta

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #185: Bayonetta

The Bayonetta camera would never work with other characters.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
What do you think of the gameplay? That's what I want to hear your opinion on.

The camera...yeah...It'd work great in Dead or Alive!

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Good times. Bayonetta is almost parodistic in nature and it's that unabashed tongue-in-cheek innuendo-based humor that makes it so much fun to play through. It's like the game's constantly poking fun at you for playing it and trying to embarrass you in the process. I love the fact that Bayonetta the character is so unapologetic-ally "girly" with all her butterflies and rose petals, and coupled with the fact that she was designed by a girl to begin with makes everything so much more satisfying.

Kamiya is a hilarious game director, and if you think of the cinematography in games like Devil May Cry and Viewtiful Joe, he uses the camera to highlight the aesthetic of the games themselves... which is what makes Bayonetta's camera angles so hilarious in nature.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I hope you continue to use Bayonetta as SP fodder, there's so much material in that game. Like how every other line is either "Bayonetta..." or "Bayonetta!" or even "BAYONEEEETTAAAA!!!"

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Now, now, wasn't that cheeky?
:p surprisingly fun game of '10
It's just so darn over-the-top!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its so true too...takes every opportunity to show all cracks and crevices, lol.

Last picture made me giggle XD

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
People are already jumping on the I-love-Tali-too bandwagon but I'm not sure that wasn't part of the joke too. In one sentence he says "call me a traditionalist" and the next one he is drooling over a two-toed girl, with god knows what beneath that helmet. But perhaps I'm just being blunt and missing something as per usual.

Anyway, another great comic Shamus.

Ringwraith

Absolutely Useless
Jan 15, 2009
I've not played Bayonetta myself, but from the numerous things on the internet about it, I've certainly got the idea that it's so far off the wall that trying to extract any single thing from it just doesn't work. Like camera angles, and how it manages to top its own levels of ridiculousness every 5 minutes, or how they've over-engineered Bayonetta herself way too much.

Ah, how I love the aspect of laughing at things when they are pulled out of their context.

Judging by how popular Tali is, she's a good example of how you can make a very likeable character even when they have no face (shown). Good characterisation at work there. It's also at work with most of the other characters Bioware has created over the years, even managing to make some that people can have very polar opposite views of. Though, more importantly, it actually seems like that was the intention in those cases.

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
Did somebody mention Tali? Because I think I heard somebody mention Tali.
Your Tali sense was tingling too?

Heh I wonder how long Shamus spent setting up that last shot.
It's probably best not to take Bayonetta seriously from what i've heard/seen.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
"creepy japanese oogling sim"

I didn't know you could play the "sum up a game in a sentence" game so well, Shamus ;)

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
it's not as bad as ps3 jiggle-motion

i quite enjoyed bayonetta once i actually became good at it. it was an absolute chore to begin with. the costume changing option is....compelling