Cheating Scandal Rocks South Korean StarCraft Circuit

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Cheating Scandal Rocks South Korean StarCraft Circuit

The professional StarCraft community in South Korea is up in arms over reports of match-fixing and illegal betting.

StarCraft is a big deal in Korea; it gets played professionally and there are TV channels devoted to it, but reports of match-fixing and illegal betting have rocked the community, forcing some players into retirement.

The reports state that an unspecified number of professional StarCraft players rigged their matches in conjunction with illegal gambling groups, and also leaked their replays. And it's also not just current players that are involved, retired players and coaches are also implicated, and the e-sport organizers were said to have been aware of the problem.

South Korean human rights laws means that the names of those involved cannot be released, but the scandal is said to touch many of the country's top StarCraft players and is being likened to the 1919 Black Sox scandal, where Chicago White Sox players were discovered to be throwing matches during the 1919 World Series against the Cincinnati Reds, which should give you some idea of how seriously StarCraft is taken in South Korea.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178788]

Apr 28, 2008
SnootyEnglishman said:
Damn..why would you take StarCraft that serious as to have to cheat?
Because. In South Korea, Starcraft is serious buisness.

OT: Wow, whenever I think I've seen it all, something like this happens. Just damn dude...

[sub]Sorry for pre-mature post, fail on my part[/sub]

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
With that level of devotion, I'm surprised the cancellation of Ghost didn't lead to an international incident.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Irridium said:

O
In South Korea, everything is serious business. Their musicians don't only have rabid fans, they have rabid anti-fans that try to poison them and get into brawls with the fans. The fans all have their "band scarves" of different colours depending on the band to show their support. It's insane. My girlfriend follows this and told me about this one guy in a band who got a girlfriend. The fans, dejected that they couldn't be his girlfriend, hated her guts and she had to be protected from them. It's insane!

So I'd be very worried if I was one of the cheaters on SC there. My house might be zerg-rushed by nerdraging SC players.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
I can't believe three things about this. Firstly, that they actually took the game serious enough to cheat (okay wait yeah I knew that). Second...that they actually cheated {not very smart...in any competitive activity} then were dumb enough to get caught. And lastly...that this is big news. I mean outside of Korea...I doubt anybody will really care all that much (apologies if there are people who care don't shout at me I'm just saying like generally).

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Enigmers said:
Wait a minute, there are StarCraft coaches?
You noticed that too? What exactly would a StarCraft coach do? Yell at you to click faster?
Logan Westbrook said:
Cheating Scandal Rocks South Korean StarScraft Circuit
Your article title has an extra S in StarCraft.

theownerer

Aug 9, 2009
What do you mean by leaked their replays? Are you saying that no one is supposed to see them but they showed it anyway?

And lol Starcraft coach, that's not something you see everyday.

Apr 28, 2008
Sturmdolch said:
Irridium said:

O
In South Korea, everything is serious business. Their musicians don't only have rabid fans, they have rabid anti-fans that try to poison them and get into brawls with the fans. The fans all have their "band scarves" of different colours depending on the band to show their support. It's insane. My girlfriend follows this and told me about this one guy in a band who got a girlfriend. The fans, dejected that they couldn't be his girlfriend, hated her guts and she had to be protected from them. It's insane!

So I'd be very worried if I was one of the cheaters on SC there. My house might be zerg-rushed by nerdraging SC players.
Well, there's only one way I know how to respond to that:

Seriously... damn dude...

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I like these stories because when my wife complains about my video gaming, I can bring these up and say, "Well, at least I'm not as bad as THESE losers!!"

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Wait! They have channels dedicated to Starcraft! Actual entire television broadcasts dedicated to a game created in the nineties. It boggles the mind! This game has been promoted to the level of a full blown national sport. I can see how someone would cheat for financial gain. It is like a boxer taking a dive for interested parties. He gains even more than he could actually win.

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
I love how in South Korea, Starcraft is pretty much a sport like football (soccer for you Americans) or rugby/American football is over here. I'd almost wish we had a game like that, until the realisation dawns that the game would have to be Modern Warfare 2 which, no offence to those who like the game, is not exactly the best game to use for a proper competitive showdown of the same proportion to a "real" sport.

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
SnootyEnglishman said:
Damn..why would you take StarCraft that serious as to have to cheat?
Umm... is this a joke? There's cheating in every videogame that's ever been written. Besides, this wasn't about winning a videogame, it was about winning money, by betting against yourself, or cheating to get one side an advantage, even if it's against your own teammates, and betting on them losing.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
"Professional" sports in South-East Asia heavily involved with illegal gambling? This is truly shocking news!

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
... sometimes I'm scared of the East.
But then I remember katanas.

Wait, that's Japan... well surely, Korea must have something similarly awesome... right?