Study Finds PS3 Most Likely to Be Online

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Study Finds PS3 Most Likely to Be Online

A study has reported that in the United States, the PS3 has the highest percentage of broadband connected consoles when compared to the Xbox 360 and Wii.

Researchers at The Diffusion Group found that 78% of all PS3 owners in the US have their console hooked up to the internet, just edging out the 73% of Xbox 360 owners who did the same. Both of those were considerably further ahead of the Nintendo Wii's 54% rate of internet connectivity - which isn't exactly surprising given that Sony and Microsoft push their online content much more than Nintendo does.

"Today's game consoles are increasingly connected to the internet, not just to enhance their gaming experience but to access the growing variety of online media-video," said Diffusion Group director of research Michael Greeson of the results of the survey, which polled 2,000 adult broadband users here in the States.

Considering that Xbox Live is traditionally seen as more "core" to the Xbox 360 experience than the PlayStation Network is to the PS3, this is very interesting information. While some might argue that the slightly higher rate on the PS3 is due to PSN being free to use, so is Xbox Live Silver - which was probably (though not assuredly) counted in the survey.

However, the PS3 might have one crucial advantage here: Built-in wireless functionality. That alone could be a huge boost for homes where running wires all over the place (or shelling out an extra $100 for the wireless adapter) just isn't practical.

And, as we all know [http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/537/25.525/], having a PS3 without an internet connection is like having a bathroom without aromatherapy candles: Sure, it gets the job done, but come on!

Bless you, Kevin Butler.

(Gamsutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28058/Study_PS3_Has_Highest_Percentage_Of_Connected_Consoles.php])

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Come oooon!

I'm hardly surprised, free online is one of the PS3's selling points after all.

Nov 7, 2009
Yeah, even if I did have broadband, shelling out a hundred shmackeroons for an adapter and having to pay 60 moar every year is pretty ridiculous.

hansari

May 31, 2009
John Funk said:
However, the PS3 might have one crucial advantage here: Built-in wireless functionality. That alone could be a huge boost for homes where running wires all over the place (or shelling out an extra $100 for the wireless adapter) just isn't practical.
This.

In addition to being Free, the hassle I get when trying to work my D-link router with my Xbox 360...gosh that router is such a piece of junk.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Here's the checklist for Online

Free
Is good and easy

PS3 checks both while 360 and Wii only have one of those ticked.

Calumon: So I play with more people everywhere?

MrPop

May 14, 2009
Not that surprising at all.

What is the difference in overall active online users between Live and PSN. That would be a better figure.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I guess I'm the minority who's not online. I only have one cable from my router to upstairs, and seeing as I don't play online, it's usually plugged into my PC.

Lostpropht

Dec 17, 2009
PS3 might have edged out 360 percentage wise... But i'm curious to see what the physical numbers are

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Xbox isnt free and the Wii is just, well you know.

PS3 wins this one hands down, in my opinion.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Free, built in, & lacking the XBL stereotype; no surprise. That said, 5% is hardly a significant margin, the more so considering these polls usually carry a 1-2% margin of error.

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
Why on Earth would I want aroma-therapy candles?

I have a good gaming PC (a jacuzzi, if you wish to take the analogy further).

I would only use the PS3 (bathroom) to play exclusives (bathe/use the toilet) and any time I wanted to play any other game, with better graphical detail, sound-quality, and with the exception of racing games, better controls (relax properly), I would head to my PC (jacuzzi).

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Lostpropht said:
PS3 might have edged out 360 percentage wise... But i'm curious to see what the physical numbers are
Considering the way that both systems are selling currently, i'd say a tie and the 360 having a slight edge. Well that's what nintendo gets for having crappy online and only selling wired Wii internet accessories on their website and not in store.

May 28, 2009
Built in free online, it's hardly surprising realy. tbh its one of the reasons why I have a ps3

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
2,000 is a small sample, and I'm surprised that PS3 is not winning by a larger percentage. However, the poll fails to differentiate between plugging your system into the internet and actually playing games online. I'll bet more 360 owners use their systems for actual games than PS3 owners.

Lostpropht

Dec 17, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Lostpropht said:
Considering the way that both systems are selling currently, i'd say a tie and the 360 having a slight edge. Well that's what nintendo gets for having crappy online and only selling wired Wii internet accessories on their website and not in store.
Sales wise so far as I know 360 still has has more consoles sold PS3 launch to date. It's still outselling the PS3 but not by nearly as large of a margin as a year ago. PS3 just finally started selling a comparable number of systems within the last year or so.