Dead Space: Martyr Novel Coming This Summer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dead Space: Martyr Novel Coming This Summer

Dead Space: Martyr [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=67935], a novel that will look at the origins of the Church of Unitology, the Black Marker and more.

Dead Space was a pretty awesome game, but by the time it was all over it had raised more questions than it answered. Who was Michael Altman? What's the Church of Unitology really all about? Where did this Black Marker thing come from, and why does everyone seem so determined to get their hands on it when it's obviously nothing but a big pain in the ass? I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but I couldn't explain it on a bet.

Fortunately, that won't be a worry once Dead Space: Martyr, a new novel from science fiction imprint Brian Evenson [http://www.tor.com/], the book will be set hundreds of years prior to the events of Dead Space and will offer a more detailed look at Church of Unitology founder Michael Altman, his discovery of the Black Marker and rumored assassination.

"One of the most compelling storytelling aspects of Dead Space has been the Church of Unitology: Its origins, power, and role in Dead Space," said Tor editor Eric Raab. "Writer B.K. Evenson gets into the terrifying aspects of mob mentality like no other writer today. This isn't only a great story within the Dead Space universe; it's a great novel on its own."

Evenson, currently the Director of American Library Association [http://www.brown.edu/].

Dead Space 2 is currently in development for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. No release date has been announced.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Ahh, christ. I still haven't read any of the Dragon Age or the Mass Effect novels, and now this comes out as well! I need some more time off...

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Hmm. Interesting. I may have to pick this one up. I generally shy away from most novelizations of games, as the stories contained within are almost never canon. But who knows. Perhaps this one will be an exception to the rule. So few are.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Awesome. I loved the Mass Effect and Dragon Age novels so I'll keep an eye out for this.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Yes!, Finaly some answers!, Blessed be the marker.

Hmm, i do wonder if they'll release Deadspace 2 on halloween like before.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
A...book? I generally try to avoid books based on gams as they read so bad at times.

Been a huge fan of the Dead Space series though, I might keep it on my list

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
NICE.
I'd like to get my hands on that. (And a Wii, I'd love to play Extraction).
The comics were awesome (except for the art) so I guess this will be great as well.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
This is actually pretty interesting... I might have to check it out upon release; at least it will be in the summer when I don't have to explain to my friends why I'm reading a Dead Space book...

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Dead Space 2 is currently in development for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. No release date has been announced.
What?! no Dead Space 2 on the pc?!

Now that's just great....

About the book, I'm not so sure of liking the whole game to book extension. It always seamed like a very cash-in move. On the other hand there are A LOT of excellent thing to read yet that were born as books, not some weird collateral effect. So I don't think I'll hold my breath.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Doc Cannon said:
NICE.
The comics were awesome (except for the art) so I guess this will be great as well.
Awh you didn't like the artwork? i actually enjoyed it, it was different from what i've usually seen in comics.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
A year or so ago, a well-meaning friend loaned me a Wing Commander novel. I don't know if there are more than one of them, if it's "a" Wing Commander novel or "the" Wing Commander novel or whatever, but I just sat on it for a month or so and then gave it back to him, made some noncommittal noises when he asked what I thought of it. This one looks like it might have potential but the Wing Commander novel looked like the print version of the Wing Commander movie.

Which I did actually see, by the way.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Pandalisk said:
Doc Cannon said:
NICE.
Awh you didn't like the artwork? i actually enjoyed it, it was different from what i've usually seen in comics.
I would agree with you on that it is nice to see something different, but at the same time I much prefer art that is more coherent than abstract. At times I couldn't tell what was going on; it was just a mess of pencils, inks and colors. You know; like The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
Hm, interesting. I actually completed Dead Space recently (1,5 years after buying it (long story)), and I was indeed left with a lot of questions. I also played Dead Space: Extraction which was like a prologue game, but that also raised questions rather than answered them. (It's still a pretty cool game though.)
I might have to get this book so I'll finally know what's really going on.

Andy Chalk said:
Who was Michael Altman? What's the Church of Unitology really all about? Where did this Black Marker thing come from, and why does everyone seem so determined to get their hands on it when it's obviously nothing but a big pain in the ass?
Something I still wonder about, what was up with that creepy singing that could be heard onboard the ship? It's in both Dead Space and Dead Space: Extraction, but I never found out who was doing it or why.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Deadspace has a really good story and a fairly deep universe that I hope is expanded. As much as people rag on Extraction it is good to get different types of games in the same "campaign". It makes the world seem much more alive than just the same thing repeated over a dozen sequels.

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
Jbird said:
Pandalisk said:
Doc Cannon said:
NICE.
I would agree with you on that it is nice to see something different, but at the same time I much prefer art that is more coherent than abstract. At times I couldn't tell what was going on; it was just a mess of pencils, inks and colors. You know; like The Dark Knight Strikes Again.
Precisely.
And the hands... I just can't get those fat claws off my mind... they'll haunt me forever D: