Could Conan Have Gone to Xbox Live?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Could Conan Have Gone to Xbox Live?

Popular talk show host Conan O'Brien is headed to a new show on TBS, but he could have gone someplace very, very different: Xbox Live.

Earlier this week, it was announced that Conan O'Brien would be taking a new show on TBS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99906-Former-Tonight-Show-Host-Conan-OBrien-Ditches-Fox-for-TBS] after the Tonight Show Leno vs. Conan debacle late last year. This surprised many, who had assumed that broadcasting giant Fox was the front runner - but as it turns out, Conan's final destination could have been something even more unexpected.

According to Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/conan-obrien-makes-tbs-deal/], along with Fox and TBS, Conan's people had been in talks with Microsoft about the possibility of bringing the popular host to Xbox Live, in a deal for a show that would have "broken new ground."

It certainly would have broken new ground, that's for sure. Microsoft may have just renewed the contract to sponsor a fourth season of Felicia Day's popular series The Guild, but Conan O'Brien is on a slightly different level. If this had gone forward, it would have been a striking new example of the way videogames - and videogame platforms - interface with popular culture. Can you imagine a world in which people needed to buy an Xbox 360 to watch CoCo do his stuff?

Can you imagine a world in which Conan O'Brien performed on Xbox Live? Is it a world you'd like to live in?

(Via MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/04/13/could-conan-obrien-have-gone-to-xbox-live-instead-of-tbs])

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Now that could have been intresting.

Im from the UK but I do find Conan's brand of humour really hilarious. If he had come to live, I am sure it would have been a hit!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Speaking for myself I think it would have been a career ender for Conan.

It's one thing to watch a talk show host for free on TV (covered by the advertising during their show in the form of commercials), quite another to buy a special box, and pay a subscription fee (presumably) just to hear him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he'd get a lot of the 360 crowd, but I think he'd wind up with a much smaller audience than prime time TV, and I don't think people would be rushing out to give Microsoft money just for him.

Now, if Microsoft was to launch an offensive and obtain a LOT of talent on that level it might be differant. Ditto for if they started producing their own TV shows and effectively turned themselves into like HBO or something. However I don't think a single draw would work no matter how big.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Hahaha... that made my day... Now I am picturing Conan with guests like Master Chief and that guy from Gears of War...

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Now that would have been one hell of console exclusive!
AMEN.

But what of the thousand of people who hate CoCo? They might spit on the console. *shrug*
It would be interesting, though, to only see Conan on XBL.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Seriously? That was one of the options? That would have been pretty freaking amazing.. Seeing as I'm in Australia and have a 360 and all. TBS, however, I'm hoping will get some kind of deal with Australia's Foxtel (pay-tv provider) channel "The Comedy Channel" like they had with Late Night and Conan's Tonight Show.

I've gotta say, I'd watch it. Really, I've missed seeing Conan hosting a show. Yes, he's got a crazy sense of humour, but hell, so do I!

Still.. LIVE? Not that I'd be complaining much.. But that's cool -and- weird at the same time.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
Yeah, not sure I can go with the group on this one. I can't figure out the match between Conan and XBL... I like Conan, but I can't see how that would have been a good fit. He's funny, but what would he have to do with XBL?! Exclusive, sure... but then you'd have to pay $60/year to watch him. I think there are plenty of shows available already that discuss video games, and if Microsoft was serious about bringing a comedian to XBL for a show such as that, I'm sure there are plenty of other comics available to do the job for a lot less than Conan would ask for, and they might have more to offer the gaming community as a whole. I'm not saying Conan wouldn't have done a good job, but I'd rather see someone in their early to mid 20s trying to take a poke at that audience instead. For him, I could forsee it being more of a forced approach at humor instead of being a genuine attempt. At least Conan has a place to go, and perhaps MS will still develop the show with someone who'd be a better fit for the genre.

The Warden

Oct 6, 2009
I really don't care, because I only use the Xbawx for games, OR DID, before it Red Ringed on me, the stupid piece of junk.

Also, inb4 'WE'LL DO IT LIVE' jokes.

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
John Funk said:
Can you imagine a world in which people needed to buy an Xbox 360 to watch CoCo do his stuff?
This is why I don't think it would have worked. More people have access to television than consoles (duh) -- why limit your audience straight off the bat? If he were strictly a gamer-based form of entertainment (like the afore-mentioned "The Guild"), or didn't have the level of recognition/popularity that he's had over the years, then it might be reasonable option.

lupercal27

Mar 11, 2010
I'm pretty sure there is more money and longevity in it from TBS than XBL. Maybe in a few more years when his ratings drop as a "last ditch" effort to remain popular.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Therumancer said:
It's one thing to watch a talk show host for free on TV (covered by the advertising during their show in the form of commercials), quite another to buy a special box, and pay a subscription fee (presumably) just to hear him.
Not to nitpick, but TBS is cable/satellite exclusive. So you do need to (often) rent a special box and pay a subscription fee just to hear him.

As for him being on Live? I'd have been happy. An even greater chance of me never seeing him again.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Stilt-Man said:
John Funk said:
Can you imagine a world in which people needed to buy an Xbox 360 to watch CoCo do his stuff?
This is why I don't think it would have worked. More people have access to television than consoles (duh) -- why limit your audience straight off the bat? If he were strictly a gamer-based form of entertainment (like the afore-mentioned "The Guild"), or didn't have the level of recognition/popularity that he's had over the years, then it might be reasonable option.
Thats likely why he didn't take up the offer. For me, what this says is that Xbox live is willing to get spend some cash to get us something great and for that I salute them.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
John Funk said:
Can you imagine a world in which Conan O'Brien performed on Xbox Live? Is it a world you'd like to live in?
Yes. No.

I let my Gold XBL membership expire because there just wasn't any reason for me to keep it. I rarely played online games and the "added content" didn't appeal to me but for the Netflix streaming which quickly angered me because it's for Gold-only members which baffles me as one is already paying Netflix for their use and I'd have to pay Microsoft on top of that? Ridiculous. But I digress.

I'd assume Conan on XBL would've been pay-per-view-only as Microsoft would have to have a way to make their money back on him. I would've been left out as would a lot of folks who don't have or don't want a Gold account.

I'm quite happy to take Conan on TBS, and I love that George Lopez called Conan to give his blessing on the timeslot move. Lopez joked about it on his show with Chris Rock:

George Lopez and Chris Rock on Lopez Tonight via Deadline.com said:
George: "I think you're here on a good night...with Conan coming to TBS..."
Chris: "Conan's coming? Where are you going?"

George: "I'm staying. I'm going to midnight. He's coming at eleven o'clock and I'm going to midnight."
Chris: "Get the hell out of here! So you're gonna move for the white man, huh? I hope he appreciates this."
George: "I think the white man does appreciate it very much."

Chris: "You don't gotta clean a park or nothing, right?"
George: "No and I get to go to work an hour later. That's a Latino dream come true."
It'll be good to have Conan back on television where we all can properly pay tribute and appreciate his comedy.

Did anyone else see the video footage from his Oregon show? "Masturbating Bear" has been replaced with a "Self-Pleasuring Panda". Brilliant!

breadlord

Apr 21, 2009
What?

WHAT? I would totally buy an Xbox just for CoCo. And some games as well. And to play with my friends.

But that would be awesome.