Microsoft to Make Budget Balancing Game

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Microsoft to Make Budget Balancing Game

Microsoft is apparently working with the US Government to make a game all about balancing the budget.

We're all feeling the pinch of the credit crunch and subsequent recessions, and are being forced to tighten our belts. Even governments are not immune, as the billions pumped in to stimulating the economy have left them with massive debts and the uncomfortable prospect of having to make cuts to public spending.

This is where Microsoft comes in, as the company has apparently been approached by the US Government to create a game which better explains the difficult reality of making spending cuts, and thereby hopefully make the public more sympathetic to the idea, or at least not actively hostile.

This isn't the first time this has been tried either, as back in 1989, a game called Hard Choices was created with much the same premise by the National Economic Commission, and again in 1994 by the "Bipartisan Commission on Entitlement and Tax Reform" with a game called Budget Shadows.

Former Democratic Senator for Nebraska Bob Kerrey, who headed the 1994 commission believes the new game is likely to "go viral" and said that a game was a good way to get the "support among the populace for the exceptionally unpopular things you need to do to solve this problem."

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/14/u-s-government-asks-steve-ballmer-to-create-budget-balancing-ga/] via 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178823]

Malgayne

Oct 16, 2008
I really hope Daniel Cook is the one who's doing this.

http://lostgarden.com/2010/01/ribbon-hero-turns-learning-office-into.html

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
So, a counrty in an economic downturn who needs to cut costs is going to spend money to make a game about cutting costs.

Anyone else think thats a little... ironic...?

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
If you create an inflexible budget and stick to it, you have Georgia and Alabama. We're terrible states in which to live, and we have horrific public services, where we have them.

This is a Good Idea. Problem is that those of us who already understand the horrible reality of the government's budget woes will be the only ones playing it.

People don't seem to understand that budgets of first-world countries *affect the entire planet*.

The primary issue in the US is that we have representatives from different states, all of whom are convinced that the *ONLY* state that needs *ANY* money is *THEIR* state, and the rest can suck it. This is why the same ass who complains about another ass building a statue to himself in Podunk, IL is introducing six bills for his own statues in Backwoods, MS at the same time.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
So another management sims for all the people obsessed with them...

...well, I might actually play it, lol. Intresting concept

Taawus

Oct 21, 2008
Will it be on Xbox live?
*cough*
''Omg, noob! l2balance the budget!''

''Wtf, nobody redces txes like tht!''

I can barely imagine what kind of new slang emerges.

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Fox news will somehow take this to be the government teaming up with the evil video game industry to make sure we all are under the surveillance of big government. I would bet a dollar this eventually makes it to them and they flip shit about our "personal liberties and freedoms".

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
This could actually help. Maybe they can restrict the major screwups to the game instead of our economy.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Wow, a game that allows people to practice an under-taught and important life skill? I give it a thumbs up.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Oh God...

If i recall, on the WALL-E Viral advertising website, they joke at a game thats supposed to be designed to help kids learn to do there taxes.

That joke just became alot less funny and alot more creepy.

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
THIS JUST IN: Government to make budget cuts, approaches multi-billion dollar corporation to make game. News at 11.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
So ... many ... smart-ass comments ... so ... little ... time...

Proteus214 said:
Wow, a game that allows people to practice an under-taught and important life skill? I give it a thumbs up.
If only it weren't brought to us by a government trillions of dollars outside of their own budget, and getting even moreso every second, including with the money spent on this game. That kinda makes it lose a lil somethin'. Maybe that's just me.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Andraste said:
So ... many ... smart-ass comments ... so ... little ... time...

Proteus214 said:
If only it weren't brought to us by a government trillions of dollars outside of their own budget, and getting even moreso every second, including with the money spent on this game. That kinda makes it lose a lil somethin'. Maybe that's just me.
I was thinking more along the lines of smaller budgets. Like just personal living expenses or small business kind of stuff, not holy shit international commerce and budget management for an entire nation lol.

Poofs

Nov 16, 2009
if this is real i hope they monitor how the people who lead the leaderboards play and try out a new method or 2

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
*sigh*

Its so stupid I cant think of a smart-arse comeback.

Errmm....Its a shit idea and is going to flop?