InstantAction CEO Says Retailers "Horribly Abuse" the Industry

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
InstantAction CEO Says Retailers "Horribly Abuse" the Industry

InstantAction [http://www.instantaction.com/] CEO Louis Castle says videogame retailers are "parasites" who have "abused the industry horribly" with videogame rentals and used game sales.

The battle between videogame publishers and retailers usually looks more like a rivalry between brothers than a genuine fight. They might play a little rough now and then, but the publishers keep putting games in boxes and the retailers keep selling them and at the end of the day, everyone goes home more or less happy. But Castle, the co-founder of famed development studio EA [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westwood_Studios] in 2009 to become CEO of the browser-based game company InstantAction, seems to be taking the issue a little more seriously, accusing the retail sector of bleeding the industry dry and saying that he hopes InstantAction helps kill brick-and-mortar outlets once and for all.

"I have no love at all for the Wal-Marts and GameStops of the world," he said in an interview with GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/store-retail-has-abused-games-industry-castle]. "They've abused the industry horribly with selling used games and rentals."

"There's no love lost there at all. They're all desperately trying to figure out where to go next too, but at the end of the day they've killed the distribution method," he continued. "They've put our entire industry in jeopardy by taking all of the money out of the system - between them and the pirates it's really a tough way to go."

He refused to predict when we might see the end of physical game sales, saying that conventional retailers "are going to be around for a long time," but added that every new technology puts it one step closer to the grave. "We're not going to be the only technology out there, but every one of them will be another brick in the wall, another step in the right direction to saving our industry from partners that became parasites," he said. "They're really no longer partners - they're killing the goose that lays the golden egg."

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
That's funny, because seeing how little revenue our store got when I worked in the gaming retail industry for new game and console sales really sickened me. Made me realize why used games are such a big push for the retailers.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Dear games industry: shut the f&%$ up already. EVERY industy and medium has a used product market.

-m

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
His narrowed vision is far worse than the so-called parasites, between two choices unless it's a great game (even then would be hard to) won't stop the pirates.

Aside used games can still leave your games around for a while longer, we all know the power of mouth to mouth.

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
I make sure I rent a game before I buy so I can ensure a high quality for the money I am putting out. If I don't feel like it is worth 60 dollars after a week then I am not going to buy it. If I have a great time with it and feel that there is enough game time to warrant a purchase than I am going to grab it. Hell I rented Orange box, bought 360 OB, bought PC OB, and enjoyed hundreds of hours with it. If a game doesn't have the time value I want then it is really the fault of the developer not the store that let me see through the hidden quality.

Serioli

Mar 26, 2010
If only there was some way of tying a game to person so it couldn't be re-sold....

I know if I found such a method I would be doing my damndest to repeat that method with things like music or books and so on....

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Tempted to instantly comment on how it sounds like a publisher who begrudges players who will rather wait and buy games 2nd hand than pay the full price... and in a modern gaming enviroment that seems to spew out loads of cloned trash, rehashes of popular titles and over hyped under par titles, not to mention lacklustre sequels... who can blame them.

Who can trust reviews from review sites who get a lot of revenue from hosting ads for the game publishers of the games being reviewed ?
Players can hardly agree on anything, a game can have equal number of fans praising its glorious depiction of ultimate gamehood, and a equal number slamming it as a broken untested alpha game that isnt even capable of being a coaster for coffee cups.

... plus the biggest issue for me, why the hell are games you download more expensive than ones I can order and delivered in a box, nearly every new title on Steam is at least £5 more expensive for its disk based counterpart.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Everytime I turn around the game industry is convinced someone is out to get them. Most people get thrown into a padded room at some point with this sort of behavior.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
This sounds to me very much like "Any old reason to try and get some sleep at night"

So how long do we reckon until they (vidya game insudstry) become as greedy and as fucked as the music industry?

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Blame the consumer, not the stores. The choice to buy a game brand new or previously used is entirely up to them.

If you have the choice of buying a game for £50 or for £40, which do you pick?

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
Fuck him.

Like the videogame industry is short of cash?

I can't afford to pay £50 for each new release, and the ones I've already paid for are MY property. If a retailer is willing to part exchange one of my older games for half off the price of a new one then who the fuck can stop me?

You wouldn't find Ford complaining about dealers selling second hand Fiestas.

Edit: I see buying a game as an investment, it's not like paying £5 for a cinema ticket, what you get for your money is over within 2 hours, if you didn't enjoy it don't go back, don't buy it on DVD and don't see the sequel. But for the price of a new game you are committing yourself to long term use of a product, if you buy a game on release date and it's a bag o'wank, why shouldn't you be able to recuperate some of your money for it, or swap it for a different one?

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Well if you want to talk about abuse talk about how publishers charge a huge amount for their product and how videogames sell for such a low margin the only way specialty stores like Gamestop can make any money is by selling used games. Talk about how they flood the market and clog the shelves with shovelware crap.

Most people consider $60 way too much for a game and they want to jack the prices up more. That means more lost sales to Gamestop and more people buying used copies. A used game isn't a lost sale, it's a lost customer who felt your product wasn't worth the money.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I've never heard of the automobile industry complaining about the used car market...

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"between them and the pirates it's really a tough way to go."
Yet another brainless, merit-less, factless screaming into the void that pirates are stealing all the monies. Digital companies will never let me keep my software DRM free, at least with a box, that limits the power they have over the item *I* bought.

Give me DRM-free or give me death. That'll be my new escapist title. I'm sure Gamestop and walamrt put all kinds of bullshit pressure on companies for the "Exclusive in-game ass scratcher!", but I don't see digital retailers not pulling the same crap.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I thought we had hit rock bottom but apparantly not..

They had to use them to sell there products. Its like making an ally then stabbing them in the back...they can work with each other, they dont have to be enemies...

Just sounds like they want to be greedy, and dont want the consumer to have it easy...

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
"Boo-hoo, I'm not making enough money when people rent my game in stead of buying it! Pay me more!"

That's pretty much how it sounds to me.

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Seriously screw that guy. I mean there is a used market for virtually everything out there that isn't food and so why is he acting like video games are something different? He can go suck on it and hopefully realize that he isn't special.

This makes me want to hop on ebay even more and buy a random used game just to stick it to him.

Wolfiesden

Mar 18, 2010
The used game market will go away when:
1. Publishers sell games at a REASONABLE price ($60 for < $.10 worth of plastic). I know publishers are out to make money, and I am ok with that but $60 average price for an XBOX title is a bit much.
2. Publishers make games good enough that people don't want to sell them.
3. Publishers STOP selling games through GameStop, Walmart, etc. at all.
4. Publishers STOP selling physical games at all.
5. Publishers make it impossible to re-sell used games

Until then, the used game market is going to thrive. Unfortunately, ALL of these will HURT publishers trying to sell games. No used game exists without it first being a NEW game. Basically, shut up, make games we will buy at a reasonable cost.

And, hey Westwood, I still have my original C&C disks with expansion.