Classical Music Goes Guitar Hero in Music Master: Chopin

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Classical Music Goes Guitar Hero in Music Master: Chopin

Get ready to rock out with your Chopin [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederik_Chopin] out: The Polish composer and pianist is getting a Guitar Hero-style music game to celebrate the 200th anniversary of his birth.

Music Master: Chopin is a new music game being developed by Polish studio Rock Band [http://blooberteam.com/home.html], Music Master: Chopin will feature not only classical piano pieces, but also vocal performances and rock arrangements of the composer's work. The game is currently planned for the PC, Mac, iPhone and iPad, but there have been discussions about bringing the game to consoles as well.

The concept for the game was a winning entry in the "Chopin 2010 [http://chopin2010.pl/en/] - Promesa" competition, celebrating "the Year of Chopin," and as such the project is being funded by the Polish Ministry of Culture. The developers hope the game will attract the attention of a new generation of music lovers to the works and achievements of the famed composer.

There's no word whether Music Master: Chopin will ship with a miniature plastic Steinway controller, but I'm hopeful. First screenshots of the game are expected to be released within the next couple of weeks; a planned release date for the game has not been announced.

Source: GameMusic.net [http://www.gamemusic.net/show_news.php?id=127]

HTID Raver

Jan 7, 2010
haha they should have a violin controller instead of guitar if they ever do consoles :p

but for realz, idk seems intresting

Sheepy

Apr 5, 2010
I guess that's kind of cool, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how that would work. I know there's that weird piano peripheral out there (I don't even remember what that's called), but seriously. Curious but not sold yet.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Sheepy said:
I guess that's kind of cool, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how that would work. I know there's that weird piano peripheral out there (I don't even remember what that's called), but seriously. Curious but not sold yet.
One white button, one black button, and a foot pedal. Bam! Done.

While I like Chopin, and I like videogames, I'm not entirely sure if these are two great tastes that will go great together. I am, however, anticipating what this turns out to look like.

Sheepy

Apr 5, 2010
Lord_Panzer said:
One white button, one black button, and a foot pedal. Bam! Done.

While I like Chopin, and I like videogames, I'm not entirely sure if these are two great
tastes that will go great together. I am, however, anticipating what this turns out to look like.
What, really? I'm not even a piano player and that kind of has me going wtf. At least give a whole octave in keys. How do you even... You know, I'm not going to ask.

And I'm on the same wavelength here. Chopin is one of my favorite composers to date, but somehow combining a rhythm game like Guitar Hero (or however they end up doing it; hell, they may surprise me) with that particular style of music just does not jive with me. But I'll save my opinion for when I see it, I guess. It just seems... weird. Logical, but weird.

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
Isn't most of Chopin's music known for being really subdued and calming though? that hardly seems like it would make a compelling game. I guess they can at least have the Revolutionary Etude for a challenge.

Sheepy

Apr 5, 2010
Kanodin0 said:
Isn't most of Chopin's music known for being really subdued and calming though? that hardly seems like it would make a compelling game. I guess they can at least have the Revolutionary Etude for a challenge.
Actually, you'd be surprised. Some of his etudes are kinda crazy.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I'm completely serious this is what I have been waiting for a classical version of rock band!!!

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Sheepy said:
What, really? I'm not even a piano player and that kind of has me going wtf. At least give a whole octave in keys. How do you even... You know, I'm not going to ask.

And I'm on the same wavelength here. Chopin is one of my favorite composers to date, but somehow combining a rhythm game like Guitar Hero (or however they end up doing it; hell, they may surprise me) with that particular style of music just does not jive with me. But I'll save my opinion for when I see it, I guess. It just seems... weird. Logical, but weird.
My first bit was a bit of a joke. My grandmother plays piano, so I'm aware it's sliiightly more complex than that, haha.

I think it would be neat if there was some sort of Symphony Hero franchise that pops up when Natal comes out. Motion-controlled conducting and whatnot. But I'm not entirely sure how you'd be able to make a semi-realistic peripheral in place of a piano that isn't either a complete joke or a complete piano.

Sheepy

Apr 5, 2010
Lord_Panzer said:
My first bit was a bit of a joke. My grandmother plays piano, so I'm aware it's sliiightly more complex than that, haha.

I think it would be neat if there was some sort of Symphony Hero franchise that pops up when Natal comes out. Motion-controlled conducting and whatnot. But I'm not entirely sure how you'd be able to make a semi-realistic peripheral in place of a piano that isn't either a complete joke or a complete piano.
So kind of like with a sensor like Para-Para. I would play the hell out of that.

But yeah, making a piano peripheral that 1) is easy to use for someone who isn't keyboard or piano-savvy and 2) still gives you a bit of the actual experience of playing the instrument would be really tricky. For the most part, the games that have come before have done a really good job, but (and not saying that any of the other instruments are simple) the piano is a lot more complicated. I think that's part of the reason why there hasn't been a keyboard peripheral for Rock Band or Guitar Hero.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
But there's already a Chopin game... it's called Eternal Sonata ... and we all know how that one turned out >.<

I don't think we need a new one >.> besides isn't the music sim genre dead?

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
That's reminded me that I want to go back to Mad Maestro and get further in it. I remember it being pretty hard though.

I would like a Schubert or Handel game due to watching Barry Lyndon the other week and thinking that the soundtrack was brilliant. Maybe Bobby Kotick could green light Baroque hero.

James B Hamster

Apr 15, 2009
Lord_Panzer said:
While I like Chopin, and I like videogames, I'm not entirely sure if these are two great tastes that will go great together. I am, however, anticipating what this turns out to look like.
Well, if you'd like a trial run of how they combine, pick up Eternal Sonata. The premise, if you are unfamiliar, involves navigating the dreamscape of Chopin on his deathbed in a quasi-anime-style RPG romp. It's strangely awesome, but I guess I'm one of the few to hold that opinion, from what I've gathered.

And, yes, you get to play as Chopin. He's eight feet tall, wears a top hat, and strikes foes with a conductor's baton. I think that about speaks for itself.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, its nice to see them using some other kinds of music.

I would totally be done with like "Classic hero" That would be so epic, play your own concert. 1800 style!

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Oh great, it won't be long now until Youtube becomes littered with videos titled "BEATING Trois nouvelles etudes ON EXPERT!"...

[small]...I also heard that Linkin Park will be making a guest appearance...

...and that Rachmaninov's gonna be the final boss...[/small]

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Sheepy said:
HardRockSamurai said:
[small]...and that Rachmaninov's gonna be the final boss...[/small]
Scariest. Boss. Ever.
Seconded. The tutorial level, mind you, would be the first minute of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 looped three times.

Epigone

Nov 21, 2009
I would totally get this. I imagine that the piano keys will somehow be done with the computer keys. Not sure how it would work for a console though.