Emerging PAL Markets Worth Billions

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Emerging PAL Markets Worth Billions

A new report suggests that the PAL region's emerging markets are worth more than $2 billion.

According to a new report published by Screen Digest, emerging PAL markets, which includes, Greece, India, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Turkey and the Middle East, generated $2.6 billion in hardware and software sales, showing growth in a year that European game sales were in decline.

The report credits the development of malls and shopping centers as one of the factors responsible for the growth. The report also showed that the PlayStation brand is largely dominant, with the PS2 claiming an install base of 11 million.

The PS3 is the currently the most popular current generation console with an install base of 1.4 million, although Microsoft's is investing in Russia, South Africa and Poland in order to compete.

Nintendo, the report finds, is yet to make the same level of investment in the region, although the Wii's popularity has gained it a foothold in some areas.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28105/Research_PAL_Emerging_Markets_Worth_26_Billion_In_2009.php]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I am sure those figures will oly get larger. With such a wide area to cover and so many people its bound to attract alot more attention from developers wanting to line there coffers

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Countries like Poland and Russia have had a games scene for a while going back to ZX Spectrum clones at least. It's good that they have access to more console software now but I kind of hope that they stick with the dark side of computer gaming and don't take that jedi console stuff to heart too much.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Microsoft is investing in Poland? I was under the impression you still can't get Live support there, as in many countries.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Nintendo, the report finds, is yet to make the same level of investment in the region, although the Wii's popularity has gained it a foothold in some areas...
As of now, the sum of the # of Nintendo Wii's sold in Japan and America is more than double the # of Wiis sold in the ENTIRE PAL Region!

Additionally, the # of Wiis sold in Japan and America respectively is still more than the # of PS3s and Xbox 360s sold, COMBINED!

In other words, I'm pretty sure Nintendo can afford to ignore Europe. Any money that comes out of there is mere pocket-change for them...

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
Nintendo, the report finds, is yet to make the same level of investment in the region, although the Wii's popularity has gained it a foothold in some areas...
As of now, the sum of the # of Nintendo Wii's sold in Japan and America is more than double the # of Wiis sold in the ENTIRE PAL Region!

Additionally, the # of Wiis sold in Japan and America respectively is still more than the # of PS3s and Xbox 360s sold, COMBINED!

In other words, I'm pretty sure Nintendo can afford to ignore Europe. Any money that comes out of there is mere pocket-change for them...
You are being very selective.

PAL market is larger than Japan market for most if not all current consoles. For PS3 it is also larger than USA, maybe for PC games also but who knows there.

You might as well say that Nintendo can afford to ignore Japan.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
Well this'll be good. I guess. More matches on the PS3 for me. Except I won't be able to understand them. They really need to bundle a headset with the PS3. I have one but I rarely use it because no one else does.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Makes sense. I've been seeing a few Czech players around. One was awesomely funny.

Go west Europe I suppose.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Hopefully this means stuff will get round to PAL a bit quicker.

It's always bugged me how I speak English, and Americans speak English, but I need to wait 1-2 m onths for a game to be 'translated' so they can release it here. Then the spelling is still the American spelling!

Sep 4, 2009
Danzaivar said:
Hopefully this means stuff will get round to PAL a bit quicker.

It's always bugged me how I speak English, and Americans speak English, but I need to wait 1-2 m onths for a game to be 'translated' so they can release it here. Then the spelling is still the American spelling!
English speaking PAL gamers really need to take a leaf out of the Boston Tea Party import handbook.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Well, it's good to know that the PAL market is picking up steam after all this time I guess, even though the UK, Ireland, France, Germany and Spain (plus others to name) have been PAL for a while...