Stolen Pixels #187: Operators Are Standing By

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #187: Operators Are Standing By

Shamus takes Blizzard's World of Warcraft Magic Space Pony to its logical conclusion.

Read Full Article

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
there are probably people out there who would cough up the 800$ for that character :p

Feb 13, 2008
I don't know if this is really funny or really sad. I expect it's a bit of both.

Aptspire said:
there are probably people out there who would cough up the 800$ for that character :p
Why struggle at something when a downpayment allows you to achieve without all that hard work?

Honest corruption. Who'd have thought?

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
This was my reaction to it. I mean, the steed looks like the coolest mount, so why would they make it a buy item? It's just letting people buy prestiege.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
The mount only takes out the "mount" part. One of each rank comes to... 261 gold before Reputation discounts. You still have to buy the training, which ammounts to 5260 gold before rep. There really isn't much that's been removed from the game...

Also, it can't carry passengers, and doesn't have vendors. They'll set you back another 8k minimum (I'm shooting for the 12k. It's roughly the middle). Still loads to do :)

EDIT - 5260 gold is actually wrong. There's another 1000 gold if you want to use that sparkly flying mount in Northrend, and that doesn't suffer from the indignities of "discounts".

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Oh man, I've gotta get one of these for every last class! While I'm at it, why not every last class/race combination? I'd better start grinding more hours at work!

But first... -shells out first $800-

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Aptspire said:
WoW's been open for over 5 years right? $15/month x 12 months/year x 5 years = $900
Some people have already paid for it.

Ori Disciple

Oct 22, 2009
does it really matter in the end? no, it doesn't matter. Why, you may ask? people buy gold from third-party sites anyway, so Blizz is cutting out those idiots and making the money themselves. It is a pretty good investment on their part. Would I buy it? nope, I would not buy it. To me, it's a waste of money (and My account has been dead for 3 months, so I couldn't care less anyway), but to others, it is not. Honestly, Blizz is in the right doing this, as it cuts out gold farmers a little bit, and that's aces in my book

Spectere

Oct 21, 2008
I've been seeing a lot of these in my realm lately. I just shrug and bust out my Netherwing drake. I think mine looks better anyway. :p

Another thing to note: the celestial steed doesn't hand players the best mount in the game for $25. If you want that sucker to increase your speed by 310%, you have to actually earn a 310% mount.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
Trust me, this is NOT going to stop people from collecting mounts. Mounts are the cheaper part anyway. The big cost is in the training.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I think Sparky the Wonderhorse is a great name for it. Also unless something changed since the last time I hit azeroth (about 6 months before lich king came out) the mounts themselves were cheap but the training was expensive. And the purchased mount doesn't get 310% until you earn another one of those so it doesn't provide any gameplay advantage.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Spectere said:
I've been seeing a lot of these in my realm lately. I just shrug and bust out my Netherwing drake. I think mine looks better anyway. :p

Another thing to note: the celestial steed doesn't hand players the best mount in the game for $25. If you want that sucker to increase your speed by 310%, you have to actually earn a 310% mount.
Funny, I like to do the same thing to. Even though I got my Netherwing at level 80 (I started it at level 70 and then forgot about it), it still feels like an accomplishment. Especially the race. Damn, that race was annoying!

ramox

Mar 11, 2010
Alar said:
Oh man, I've gotta get one of these for every last class! While I'm at it, why not every last class/race combination? I'd better start grinding more hours at work!

The bought mount works account-wide.

Chipperz said:
The mount only takes out the "mount" part. One of each rank comes to... 261 gold before Reputation discounts. You still have to buy the training, which ammounts to 5260 gold before rep. There really isn't much that's been removed from the game...

Also, it can't carry passengers, and doesn't have vendors. They'll set you back another 8k minimum (I'm shooting for the 12k. It's roughly the middle). Still loads to do :)

EDIT - 5260 gold is actually wrong. There's another 1000 gold if you want to use that sparkly flying mount in Northrend, and that doesn't suffer from the indignities of "discounts".
This is truth. So no, Blizzard is not taking anything from the game by adding this. All they do is give the players who want it a pwetty horse and make a buck while at it.

So while the post is funny (somewhat), your facts are off. As much as some people seem to like to accuse them of, the guys at Bliz are not selling out their game to buy a few mid-sized countries.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
ramox said:
Alar said:

The bought mount works account-wide.
I was referring to the "Retirement-Ready" Character in the comic strip. :D

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
I get the joke, its funny and well-written. Trouble is, it would also be the cheapest possible way to "max out" a character. I mean I don't see the "fun" in attempting to achieve anything in that game, every achievement is either hollowed out down the road when they make it easier for the next guy who does it, or turned obsolete when new content hits, or just plained nerfed because it was overly powerful. It's like every time you take a shot, somebody is moving the goalposts.

It's hard to believe that the world's most popular "persistent" game is actually its most transient.

I suppose it IS a cheap way to get around a little faster for more casual players. I once heard WoW described as the world's most elaborate chatroom. The "game" was completely secondary. I like that idea, but I think paying for social interaction is pretty sad. After all, no matter what the bogus stereotypes out there say, even the most hardcore WoW players know real people. Their time usually costs little more than a bit of etiquette.

DISCLAIMER : The previous comments are the opinion of someone who took one Alliance character to Level 30 in 2005. His opinion should not be regarded as fact, or as ultimate truth and wisdom. Some (Read: A whole boatload of) people like the game, or it wouldn't make a hundred million dollars a month. If it bothers you that I really hate it, you should bolster your self-esteem before attempting to read things on the internet.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Spectere said:

Which is still on my to-do list :( Sadly, I'm rubbish at PvP, so getting into the top 2% of worldwide arena teams is right out :p

Also, Netherdrake riders unite! I'm still considering getting this beauty. It'd suit my Paladin really well :)