Science!: Alternate Realities and Bullet Proof Cotton T-Shirts

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Science!: Alternate Realities and Bullet Proof Cotton T-Shirts

Could blackholes actually be wormholes into alternate realities?

Read Full Article

InvisibleMilk

Nov 19, 2008
You know what I was doing when I saw that picture of the snail?

Eating Yogurt. Now you screwed my appetite.
On the plus, Bulletproof cotton T-shirts that say "SHOOT ME" Have increased in sales 200% in the last 5 minutes.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
Complex organisms that don't need oxygen quick start researching them so we can live in space with out the need to breath muwhahaha! That is about the coolest thing I ever heard.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
It seems the scientific community is going out of its way to increase the awesomeness of the common T-shirt. I'd already heard about colour-changing T-shirts, and plastic solar cells that could be woven into fabric - could we end up seeing bulletproof, selectively camouflaged clothing able to power a laptop deep in enemy territory? It'd be the soldier's best friend!

And I'd imagine that a certain percentage of Escapists have now descended into full-blown foetal-position gibbering at the mention of "quantum mechanics".

Marine Mike

Mar 3, 2010
Somehow I would just find it hard to have confidence in the bullet-stopping capabilities of an armored t-shirt. Now if they used that method to create vest inserts roughly the same size as the current kevlar inserts it would be a different story. Dropping weight off the typical warfighter's gear would definitely be a plus, my vest had to weigh about 40 pounds between the ammo, armor plates, radio, ECM, and grenades. Thats not even counting my rifle, helmet, pack with food and water, rocket launcher, rockets, and 20 pound satchel charge.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Would be really cool if the Blackhole thing is true.

It means, out there. There could be another me...another everyone...imagine how lives might have been different...

Apr 28, 2008
"Science all up in this *****!"
Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

Anyway, the whole black hole/alternate universe thing fascinates me, and sounds pretty awesome.

Also, bulletproof T-Shirts? If it actually works, it could be the coolest thing ever.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I really don't understand quantum mechanics, but aren't blackholes just areas of extreme gravity and dense mass? How could they be portals to another dimension?

Chris Sandford

Nope, no title.
Apr 11, 2010
I made the mistake of looking at the mentioned equations, and now I can say, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that I want to die.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
I hope the black hole/alternate universe isn't true, because then JJ Abrams will just make more movies/shows with it as the main theme.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
oppp7 said:
I really don't understand quantum mechanics,
Which is to say you're not amazed by it?:)

oppp7 said:
but aren't blackholes just areas of extreme gravity and dense mass? How could they be portals to another dimension?
I have no understanding of the math, so I can't explain how it could even be possible. Since this hypothesis currently seems to be mostly math, I think we're all stuck for a response. Wait for the other smart people to peer review and hope one of them explains it. I mean, here's the linked abstract, em and en dashes changed to hyphens and all those silly one-character "fi"s and "fl"s removed:

We consider the radial geodesic motion of a massive particle into a black hole in isotropic coordinates, which represents the exterior region of an Einstein-Rosen bridge (wormhole). The particle enters the interior region, which is regular and physically equivalent to the asymptotically flat exterior of a white hole, and the particle's proper time extends to infinity. Since the radial motion into a wormhole after passing the event horizon is physically different from the motion into a Schwarzschild black hole, Einstein-Rosen and Schwarzschild black holes are different, physical realizations of general relativity. Yet for distant observers, both solutions are indistinguishable. We show that timelike geodesics in the field of a wormhole are complete because the expansion scalar in the Raychaudhuri equation has a discontinuity at the horizon, and because the Einstein-Rosen bridge is represented by the Kruskal diagram with Rindler's elliptic identification of the two antipodal future event horizons. These results suggest that observed astrophysical black holes may be Einstein-Rosen bridges, each with a new universe inside that formed simultaneously with the black hole. Accordingly, our own Universe may be the interior of a black hole existing inside another universe.
After a struggle and a few sketchy areas, I made it as far as "geodesics" before my brain fell out. And this is the abstract, the summary that's supposed to let the reader get an easy and quick idea of the whole document. Lauren's first paragraph is sort of a summary of the summary with some added commentary. Allow me to do a summary of the summary of the summary: "Boy howdy, space is confusing for being mostly empty." And now I expect a knight to walk in and try sell a guide book*.

(* Sorry, obscure reference to a surrealist Archie comic from the 1960's, where a knight walked through the scene three times selling plot summaries and guide books to confused characters. Best Archie comic ever. But I'm rambling.)

Personally, I think it's obvious. All the alternate realities are sending gamma-ray bursts through to try turn us all into The Incredible Hulk. So as soon as someone Hulks out, we're gonna throw him into a black hole so he can fight the alternate-reality bastards. We'll probably also send a camera crew.

'Scuse me, I'm going to find my brain and then watch owls while I get it reseated. BABY OWLS!

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Reload the page six times, nothing, repost, double post. ARGH!

HG131 said:
So wait, this means that if we invent something to send us through a black hole and send messages back, after much trial and error, we could go into a utopia?
Assuming their physics are the same as ours. Don't see any reason why the cosmological constants have to be the same between 'verses. Similar I suppose, else 'their' black holes wouldn't exist, but perhaps another set of constants leads to universes with "white holes" that output something more than gamma radiation, so it'd be a one-way trip. If you didn't get smushed. But this is all daydreaming; I'm moving well beyond credibility for discussion and must get back to work!

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Another set of just Awesome facts.

I especially like the blackhole theory. Though this does kinda screw with the hope of moving through space at fast than light for the moment.

Also, doesn't the theory of relativity allow for wormholes. They are just really small and require atrociously high energy to keep open.

I thought anyway.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
If only I had an oven and some boron id be turning all my clothes bulletproof. Though i doubt its bullet proof not bullet resistant. Still though, would be so aweosme as long as I didnt get shot in the head

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
oppp7 said:
I really don't understand quantum mechanics, but aren't blackholes just areas of extreme gravity and dense mass? How could they be portals to another dimension?
Black holes are areas of extreme gravity and dense mass.
They aren't portals.
Black holes have Gamma bursts, Stars have solar flares.

Bulletproof shirts sound cool, I'd like to know the boron mixture they use so I can convert all my shirts.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
oppp7 said:
I really don't understand quantum mechanics,
Which is to say you're not amazed by it?:)

oppp7 said:
but aren't blackholes just areas of extreme gravity and dense mass? How could they be portals to another dimension?
I have no understanding of the math, so I can't explain how it could even be possible. Since this hypothesis currently seems to be mostly math, I think we're all stuck for a response. Wait for the other smart people to peer review and hope one of them explains it. I mean, here's the linked abstract, em and en dashes changed to hyphens and all those silly one-character "fi"s and "fl"s removed:

We consider the radial geodesic motion of a massive particle into a black hole in isotropic coordinates, which represents the exterior region of an Einstein-Rosen bridge (wormhole). The particle enters the interior region, which is regular and physically equivalent to the asymptotically flat exterior of a white hole, and the particle's proper time extends to infinity. Since the radial motion into a wormhole after passing the event horizon is physically different from the motion into a Schwarzschild black hole, Einstein-Rosen and Schwarzschild black holes are different, physical realizations of general relativity. Yet for distant observers, both solutions are indistinguishable. We show that timelike geodesics in the field of a wormhole are complete because the expansion scalar in the Raychaudhuri equation has a discontinuity at the horizon, and because the Einstein-Rosen bridge is represented by the Kruskal diagram with Rindler's elliptic identification of the two antipodal future event horizons. These results suggest that observed astrophysical black holes may be Einstein-Rosen bridges, each with a new universe inside that formed simultaneously with the black hole. Accordingly, our own Universe may be the interior of a black hole existing inside another universe.
After a struggle and a few sketchy areas, I made it as far as "geodesics" before my brain fell out. And this is the abstract, the summary that's supposed to let the reader get an easy and quick idea of the whole document. Lauren's first paragraph is sort of a summary of the summary with some added commentary. Allow me to do a summary of the summary of the summary: "Boy howdy, space is confusing for being mostly empty." And now I expect a knight to walk in and try sell a guide book*.

(* Sorry, obscure reference to a surrealist Archie comic from the 1960's, where a knight walked through the scene three times selling plot summaries and guide books to confused characters. Best Archie comic ever. But I'm rambling.)

Personally, I think it's obvious. All the alternate realities are sending gamma-ray bursts through to try turn us all into The Incredible Hulk. So as soon as someone Hulks out, we're gonna throw him into a black hole so he can fight the alternate-reality bastards. We'll probably also send a camera crew.

'Scuse me, I'm going to find my brain and then watch owls while I get it reseated. BABY OWLS!
Ah, thank you for clearing that up. :)
Edit: Does this mean all of existence could be a bunch of fractal universes?

Low Key

May 7, 2009
If it's possible our universe lives inside a different universe, would that mean black holes do the opposite on the other side? So instead of taking in matter, it pushes it out at a high rate? Quantum mechanics have always amazed me.