Ubisoft Eliminating User Manuals

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Ubisoft Eliminating User Manuals

Ubisoft will be eliminating paper manuals entirely from its game releases in an effort to reduce gas emission and paper use.

Instead of traditional paper manuals, Ubisoft will begin placing digital manuals within the games themselves. Not only will this prevent your little brother from losing them whenever he borrows your stuff, but it will also allow for more comprehensive guides.

"Ubisoft is continually looking for methods to be a more environmentally conscious company, and the implementation of digital game manuals will be beneficial for both the environment and the consumer," Ubisoft Vice President of Operations Rich Kubiszewski said. "In terms of the environment, the implementation of digital game guides and recycled DVD cases for Ubisoft's PC titles will save trees, energy, reduce greenhouse gases and promote the use of sustainable materials. For the consumer, having digital game manuals allows Ubisoft to create a more robust manual that is easier to use and it also eliminates the damage of loss of paper manuals."

Under the new system, the game manual will be embedded directly into the game and accessible via the main menu. This means players will not be required to go online to figure out how to play the game, and will have an added bonus of never worrying about lacking a manual should they buy the game used. This will not, Kubiszewski said, affect any in-game tutorials, which will remain available for those who don't want to read through the manual.

While Ubisoft does expect a decrease in production cost by cutting the manuals, it's unsure if the company will experience a decrease or increase in overall production cost due to the more in-depth game manual, Kubiszewski said. Whatever the case, however, the cost for consumers will remain the same.

Currently, the Wii and DS are excluded from the manual-less conversion, just as only PC games will be making use of the new cases. Eventually, Kubiszewski said, all games will receive this more ecologically-friendly treatment. Ubisoft is also introducing new, recycled cases for its PC game lines, which will start with the April 27 release of Splinter Cell: Conviction.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Good idea I prefer having manuals in PDF formats because the pages never tear or ink dulls, if they have awesome artwork its easy to rip the image rather than using a scanner

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
I miss the good old days of 90's games that came in big pretty boxes with hundred+ page user manuals that had concept art, in-depth exploration of game mechanics and stories set in the universe of the game. Some of them even came with sound-tracks. I mean sure, it was wasteful in a way, but I still have them and look through them now. I didn't just throw them away or leave them in the case.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
But... I LIKE user manuals. They're the only reason I still consider buying dead tree (err... dead plastic?) editions of games. Can't they come on both?

DetectiveSparky

Size doesn't matter
Jul 16, 2009
But what will I read while I'm on the toilet?!

Seriously though, while I don't read manuals apart from initial start-up, I like having the physical copy over a digital one. Also I'm not going to read an in-game manual because I'll be too busy PLAYING the game.

twasdfzxcv

Mar 30, 2010
I'll buy their eco-friendly pitch when they shave the 2 dollar printing/shipping/handling cost off the price tag. Otherwise it's just their latest money saving attempt.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I've said it before: Ubisoft is deliberately sabotaging themselves.

First they make it impossible to actually play the game with the retardo-DRM, now they're dumping the manuals. Note how it is for the PC only?

It's all a ploy to lower sales even more, so their stockholders will "force" them to quit the PC market -- so Ubisoft gets an out without having to admit they wanted out in the first place and thereby damaging their own credibility as a publisher.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Manuals have not been 'proper' manuals in a long time. I mean, where's the telephone book? They only have like 4 pages in these days anyway!

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I dont buy Ubisoft games anyway.

But still, i love the manuals, not only does reading it give you a head start, they usually contain bonus stuff.
If im buying a used game, ill try and make sure it has the manual.
If it doesn't, i consider waiting until a copy come sin with a manual.

....i like collecting them...

SirusTheMadDJ

Dec 2, 2009
Awesome. So now the game'll practically play itself for a few sessions or levels just because Ubisoft don't understand the concept of recycling?

Tutorials are fine, but sometimes I don't want to pause every time I need to check which button does what when I can be, you know, playing the game?

Viptorian

Mar 29, 2010
You guys are so over-dramatic about this DRM stuff.

OT: Manuals these days only have like 10 pages anyway, it really isn't a big deal. If you want a physical manual, print the PDF.