How to Find A Gaming Group

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
How to Find A Gaming Group

Finding a like-minded group of nerds to isn?t as hard as you might think.

Read Full Article

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Let's not forget that there's always the wonderful forums here on the Escapist.

That is to say: anybody up for D&D in the Philadelphia area? :D

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
This article just deals with the one problem I have...
Or better said, the one problem I had, now it's more a problem of time.

MorteSphere

Jul 8, 2009
I WHFRP with some guys from Datarealms Fan Forums. They're pretty cool people. They're also really accepting of newbies, which surprised me. Especially given that most of them are relatively experienced with tabletop games.

Though, since there's a thousand or so miles between each of us, we use Maptools.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Maybe I'm late to this realization, but are we trying to take back the term nerds? Are we trying to get rid of its negative connotation? The way black people did with that other derogatory term. I only read the post here, not the article, and using the phrase nerd annoys me.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
I checked out that meetups whatchamajiggy turns out there's one pretty much right down the road from me, whodathunk?

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Ehhh actually, finding a gaming group, or new members to join yours, is kind of hard.

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to nerd-things. In my mind, liking a hobby is fine, enjoying it is fine, spending hours of your day doing it is fine. But when you reach the nerdish obsessive levels that you see in stereotypical (and stereotypes exist for a reason) nerd, then I have a problem. Focusing on gaming: if you wear a cape and you don't have superpowers or it's not Halloween, then you're a tool. Loudly engaging in a discussion about race relations between elves and dwarves, or whether Anakin could have taken Obi-Wan (high-ground or not), at length in a public area....obsessive.

I know, I'm horrible. But is it too much to ask for players who are reasonable and sensible and can enjoy a game for what it is, and not have to deal with the sweaty neck-beards?

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
ERk-- Was going to ask about gaming in my area and then someone mentioned neckbeards. Its April alright? I just finished finals week and my shaving regimen was replaced with studying...

And seriously capes? Does ANYONE know someone who wears a cape?

For those interested in Roleplaying in and around the GTA, (By which I mean Greater Toronto Area) I'm probably the best DM you've got access to (unless you know a pro, or prefer gritty to campy or know Shamus Young...). I run DnD 4E, D20 Modern, D6 Adventures, Mutants and Masterminds and Two-Fisted Tales. I play loose with the rules in favour of the Rule of Cool and I've never been caught railroading.

NeuroShock

Jul 14, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:

That was oddly relevant to my interests. I was reading the whole article like "Why isn't there a website for playing D&D in Philly?"

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
You missed one method of group finding.

The Student Games Society at your local uni. Give them a call/email most are willing to accept non-students, and when I was at Uni we had people in their late 30's, so not being 18-22 isn't as big a hindrance as you'd think.

eelel

May 29, 2009
I found this artical interesting. I got into TTRPG when I was a freshmen at high school. Then I got into games at my local game store even a couple of years after it closed. Now I am at a nice relitivly new comic shop on Saterday mornings playing a 1930's theamed GURPS game.

Ikuraut

Aug 26, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:

Sigh I tried that last night.
www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.189647-DND-personalls-add#5883836

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
JaredXE said:
I'll admit, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to nerd-things. In my mind, liking a hobby is fine, enjoying it is fine, spending hours of your day doing it is fine. But when you reach the nerdish obsessive levels that you see in stereotypical (and stereotypes exist for a reason) nerd, then I have a problem. Focusing on gaming: if you wear a cape and you don't have superpowers or it's not Halloween, then you're a tool. Loudly engaging in a discussion about race relations between elves and dwarves, or whether Anakin could have taken Obi-Wan (high-ground or not), at length in a public area....obsessive.

I know, I'm horrible. But is it too much to ask for players who are reasonable and sensible and can enjoy a game for what it is, and not have to deal with the sweaty neck-beards?
How is it obsessive? People talk about other passions and interests all the time in public areas. Two people could be comparing the merits of two sporting legends in a public place. Would you call them obsessive? As long as they aren't being obnoxious and loud, I don't see what the problem is. Is this gaming-related or just in general? I don't see why people see gaming as separate from every other interest or hobby. We're trying to get rid of that social stigma, not reinforce it by being ashamed to discuss the hobby publically.

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
khaimera said:
Maybe I'm late to this realization, but are we trying to take back the term nerds? Are we trying to get rid of its negative connotation? The way black people did with that other derogatory term. I only read the post here, not the article, and using the phrase nerd annoys me.
Me too.

I prefer "Geek". To me "Nerd" has connotations of only living for school/college/university and forsaking all forms of social life in order to study. "Geeks" have a social life, but it is just as likely to involve plastic dwarfs as it does going to the pub!

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
I actually started a game with some friends last weekend. It was crazy fun but I can't play this weekend... it sucks having a life as well.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
I saw some people LARPing in Central Park yesterday. This guy and girl were fighting with a foam ax and sword respectively. As I was watching, the girl swung at the guy and missed. Then, as she was recovering, this guy throws all 250 plus lbs of himself behind swinging his ax and clocks this girl onto her ass. She started crying, all the LARPers dropped character, went over to help her and gave the ax man dirty looks while he stood around awkwardly.

The lesson here, for people looking to join a LARPing group, is that making weak people cry is awesome, as long as you can deal with the awkward silences and stares that follow.