Icelandic Volcano Causes Videogame Delays

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Icelandic Volcano Causes Videogame Delays

The erupting Icelandic volcano is not only delaying flights, but also the delivery of videogames.

After the second explosion on April 14th, Eyjafjallajokull has been spewing massive amounts of ash into the air, obscuring the sky and making it difficult for pilots to navigate in that area. Hordes of people are experiencing flight delays and cancellations, and the same can be expected for those gamers awaiting delivery of their new games.

The Australian distributor for Konami, Mindscape, expects delays in delivery of several of their upcoming releases. "Due to the second eruption of the Iceland volcano and further disruption to flights, our shipment of Wii stock will be delayed," explains a spokesperson.

UK-based retailer, Game, also stated that "airspace in parts of Europe unfortunately continues to affect the transport of mail by air and could cause delays with delivery of orders."

The cloud of ash currently extends 2-3 km (~9000 ft) in altitude, with some layers reaching 11km (~36000 ft) and is about 100m thick. According to Grant Allen, an atmospheric scientist at Manchester University, it would be dangerous for commercial pilots to navigate this area. "No one knows what concentration of ash is hazardous to jet engines unfortunately so until those tests are complete, it's a game of Russian roulette."

During an expert question and answer session [http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2010/apr/20/iceland-volcano-your-questions-answered] at The Guardian, one clever participant suggested the return of zeppelins as a possible way to circumvent the issues commercial jets have with flying through ash. I couldn't agree more.

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/iceland-volcano-causes-game-delays]

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Ohh, and I though this wouldn't affect gamers... Guess I was wrong.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Play Asia sent out a letter today explaining it's volcanic delays, this disappoints me.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It is getting beyonfd a joke, cant get anything from Amazon.com here if its coming from the US >< Which is a real pain!

I think Zepplins should return!

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
If this spreads to Sweden, that means they might delay No More Heroes 2 even further...

NOOOOOOOOO!

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Damn you plate tectonics!!!

The best part about these news stories is reporters trying to pronounce the name of the volcano. I would love to see footage of one of those 24hr news guys being handed the breaking story

leaving the vice-president in charge... We have breaking news of an eruption at the Ey..... Wha? How the hell do you say that?!

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
addeB said:
Ohh, and I though this wouldn't affect gamers... Guess I was wrong.
Thats what we thought about the Recession, now look at us... We've lost Duke Nukem Forever, and therefore, we have nothing to make fun of right now...

Calumon: *aside*Jack has been betting on Duke for ages! He has a Duke Poster above his bed!

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Lauren Admire said:
After the second explosion on April 14th, Eyjafjallajokull has been spewing massive amounts of ash into the air
Call me stupid but everysingle time I read that, my brain goes "thing you can't pronounce volcano"

Aug 25, 2009
Well, as long as it's only the Wii games mentioned in the article...

[sub]jk[/sub]

On topic, I had to drive down to Portsmouth to pick my family up on Sunday, because to end their Spanish holiday they had to take a 30 hour trip across Spain and on a boat across the sea. Great time for four hours in a car with no air con in the blazing heat.

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Lauren Admire said:
After the second explosion on April 14th, Eyjafjallajokull has been spewing massive amounts of ash into the air.
Try saying that when you're drunk and not Icelandic.
I can't even say it sober.

OT: I thought this might happen, air mail to and from the UK has been stuck for a while, which isn't great.

Oh well, because a bunch of teachers are stuck abroad, it means I don't have to teach tear 7 this week, because of the lack of teachers around, and if it continues to next week, Year 8 are removed, so it's all good some of it is good.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
First thing that came to my mind was the Colbert Report, and how Stephen blames Iceland for all of this.

Anyway this is bad news for gamers, I fell sorry for those who have to suffer with the delays.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Hurm. Good thing I'm not particulary interested in any games at the moment... but if that thing keeps spewing crap into the atmosphere until June and I have to wait even longer for "Transformers: War for Cybertron", there WILL be an epic smackdown between me and the volcano gods.

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
Eyjafja- I mean Bob, seems to be causing a bit of trouble everywhere, which I didn't mind, but I go by this saying,
"You can destroy my planes, make me board out of my mind waiting for the planes, make a country annoying, but when you mess with my Videogames, your asking for trouble mister!"
I am afraid I shall have to nuke my son.

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Sonicron said:
Hurm. Good thing I'm not particulary interested in any games at the moment... but if that thing keeps spewing crap into the atmosphere until June and I have to wait even longer for "Transformers: War for Cybertron", there WILL be an epic smackdown between me and the volcano gods.
So Vulcan?
Whose name was given to volcanos after Pompeii?

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Has anyone said what the environmental effects this will have on the world will be? I'm guessing the temperature of the planet will go down by a lot.

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
I swear that volcano name is just the result of someone pressing closing their eyes and trying to type something else.